What weight bag?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I truck camp in a wall tent, but am thinking about doing a spike camp a night or two during my hunt. I usually hunt during the 1st rifle season or 2nd season in Colorado. I will use the bag for a spike camp because I already have a good bag for truck camping but not for the spike camp. So my dilemma is what bag weight ....... 0; 10; 20; or 30 degree bag. I live in Georgia so I will probably use the bag when camping in the mountains of Georgia also. Your thought are greatly appreciated. Oh, I almost forgot. I have Exped 9 pad that is rated R-9 and a Kuiu Summit Refuge 3p shelter and I have puffy pants and jacket in addition to other hunting clothing.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With a pad that warm you shouldn't need anything more than a 20 degree bag. And if temps are below 20, adding layers while sleeping will keep you warm in sub 20 temps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
With a pad that warm you shouldn't need anything more than a 20 degree bag. And if temps are below 20, adding layers while sleeping will keep you warm in sub 20 temps.

That was my thinking as well, do you think that I can get away with a 30 - 35 degree bag.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That was my thinking as well, do you think that I can get away with a 30 - 35 degree bag.
32 degree bag ypu'll probably be ok, especially in the early season, but you're pushing the envelope a bit.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
But it is only going to be for one night. My thinking is that after days 1 and 2, I may range farther out if unsuccessful to that point and find some elk and not come back home to camp. I will just stay out until late morning the next day after I have killed a bull that morning. :cool: Obviously, I will have planned this out when leaving that morning in organizing my pack.

GotDraw?

WKR
you will never regret a good night's sleep in a warmer bag,

you will curse your decision every minute you lay there awake and cold in a lighter bag

You can have single digit temps at altitude in archery season, rare, but it can happen.

Temp rating applicability varies for each person from day to day: cold day hunting, exhausted and worn out? You will sleep colder

Plays your cards, takes your chances. My archery bag is 15 degree Mountain Hardware. If hunting in Oct, I'd go warmer. Mid Oct in Colorado at elevation is not comparable to Georgia. Get a real bag for CO and get a different/cheaper bag for GA.

*zap*

WKR
If your prepared for the worst there will be no problems. You can always leave a bag open.

sneaky

"DADDY"
20 degree bag would be good, 15 would be better. Easier to vent than to sleep in everything you own and trying to do calisthenics in your bag to stay warm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk