What Western State Offers Resident Hunters The Best Yearly Big Game Opportunities

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say South Dakota as a resident you can get have you to possible 4 rifle tags for deer and two archery. Plus elk hunting, bird hunting, and all the predator hunting you can want

jmez

WKR
Pretty much zero opportunity for elk in SD unless you have a bunch of points. If you get a tag with no points go buy a powerball ticket as well.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Brillo

FNG
What about Sydney Nebraska? Nebraska has mule deer, antelope, whitetail and small game. Then you are close to all the elk states so travel time is lower. Cost of living is good too so the cost of elk tags is offset. You can also winter in Texas and have access to all that hunting. Packing my bags right now.

Ralphie

WKR
Why anyone who lives in a good state for residents would seriously answer this question on the www is beyond me. Maybe you are just nicer than me. If you like your state then keep your mouth shut. Or at least don’t answer in a public forum and fer cryin’ out loud keep it off the YouTube.

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
What percentage of the United States population will actually leave their homes, friends ,careers, lifestyles, medical facilities, conveniences , families and move to a state to hunt elk as a resident? Probably a pretty low percentage from my life experiences. Maybe .00009% LOL.
I have several life long friends who are ranchers in MT and business owners in WY. When they retire shortly they will be moving from their remote lifestyles and long winters to more favorable climates, closer to medical care and closer to their children and grand children who had moved away after college to find careers that were not available to them in remote western mountain states.Most of us are married when we retire. What percentage of your wives will uproot and move to Desolation Idaho or Slambuck Colorado and be happy? I have been married one time and two long term relationships with some pretty cool women. None of the three would move and live in a remote area on a long term basis, unless you call a remote area Aspen,Vail, Jackson, Deer Valley, or Sun Valley, and that would not include the full winter Months!
Unfortunately the remote mountain states also suffer boom and bust economic times. Most are energy ,livestock , or agriculture related. If you are a student of the west these negative cycles run 10-20 years. In the mountain west only the strong survive . We have seen economic busts in the coal business, beef, wheat and now a upcoming oil downturn with the current Biden green new deal. This is what I like about the true westerners that I know, they have the spirit and character to survive, you will never find that form of mentality in any Californicated transplant.
Many who do attempt a move into the Rocky Mountain west end up moving away after the first or second winter and experiencing some of the desolation from being so far from their support groups.
Anyone who wants to claim residency in a western state for resident hunting privileges has to be in the state for a period of at least consecutive 6 month time frame to one full year , with proof of when your residency started and pay taxes in that state, all depending on the state. If you do go through with a residency there is a strong chance you will be audited , much like a IRS audit , they will interview your neighbors, check credit card statements and other forms of investigation. They take things pretty seriously that you truly are a resident.
Again , actually moving to a remote western state and becoming a resident to primarily hunt as a resident is a pipe dream to 99.999%. It will be 100X more realistic and affordable to most ,to just pay to go on some guided hunts for the vast majority instead of actually making a move.
There is not much we can do . All western state metro areas are turning into their own versions of LA. The population explosion going on in the metro areas is changing the dynamics for drawing and obtaining tags.The hunting environment we see today will be totally different in 20 years. Finding a area with available tags today is just a short representation window in time that will disappear shortly. A very small percentage of people retiring in remote areas of the Mtn west will not change the tag dynamics compared to the population explosions happening in the metro areas of the Mtn west states and their desire to hunt and obtain tags.

Dart368

FNG
Similar to my posting. You might get some info from it:

Deadfall

WKR
What percentage of the United States population will actually leave their homes, friends ,careers, lifestyles, medical facilities, conveniences , families and move to a state to hunt elk as a resident? Probably a pretty low percentage from my life experiences. Maybe .00009% LOL.
I have several life long friends who are ranchers in MT and business owners in WY. When they retire shortly they will be moving from their remote lifestyles and long winters to more favorable climates, closer to medical care and closer to their children and grand children who had moved away after college to find careers that were not available to them in remote western mountain states.Most of us are married when we retire. What percentage of your wives will uproot and move to Desolation Idaho or Slambuck Colorado and be happy? I have been married one time and two long term relationships with some pretty cool women. None of the three would move and live in a remote area on a long term basis, unless you call a remote area Aspen,Vail, Jackson, Deer Valley, or Sun Valley, and that would not include the full winter Months!
Unfortunately the remote mountain states also suffer boom and bust economic times. Most are energy ,livestock , or agriculture related. If you are a student of the west these negative cycles run 10-20 years. In the mountain west only the strong survive . We have seen economic busts in the coal business, beef, wheat and now a upcoming oil downturn with the current Biden green new deal. This is what I like about the true westerners that I know, they have the spirit and character to survive, you will never find that form of mentality in any Californicated transplant.
Many who do attempt a move into the Rocky Mountain west end up moving away after the first or second winter and experiencing some of the desolation from being so far from their support groups.
Anyone who wants to claim residency in a western state for resident hunting privileges has to be in the state for a period of at least consecutive 6 month time frame to one full year , with proof of when your residency started and pay taxes in that state, all depending on the state. If you do go through with a residency there is a strong chance you will be audited , much like a IRS audit , they will interview your neighbors, check credit card statements and other forms of investigation. They take things pretty seriously that you truly are a resident.
Again , actually moving to a remote western state and becoming a resident to primarily hunt as a resident is a pipe dream to 99.999%. It will be 100X more realistic and affordable to most ,to just pay to go on some guided hunts for the vast majority instead of actually making a move.
There is not much we can do . All western state metro areas are turning into their own versions of LA. The population explosion going on in the metro areas is changing the dynamics for drawing and obtaining tags.The hunting environment we see today will be totally different in 20 years. Finding a area with available tags today is just a short representation window in time that will disappear shortly. A very small percentage of people retiring in remote areas of the Mtn west will not change the tag dynamics compared to the population explosions happening in the metro areas of the Mtn west states and their desire to hunt and obtain tags.
20 years there won't be any hunting. Unless you a millionaire.

Deadfall

WKR
Why anyone who lives in a good state for residents would seriously answer this question on the www is beyond me. Maybe you are just nicer than me. If you like your state then keep your mouth shut. Or at least don’t answer in a public forum and fer cryin’ out loud keep it off the YouTube.
Doesn't matter anymore. The yuppies are bringing the big city politics to us. Same ones they trying to escape. Before long everything will be private

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
What about Sydney Nebraska? Nebraska has mule deer, antelope, whitetail and small game. Then you are close to all the elk states so travel time is lower. Cost of living is good too so the cost of elk tags is offset. You can also winter in Texas and have access to all that hunting. Packing my bags right now.
Do not move to Sidney Nebraska. I lived there for 5 years and it was frickin terrible. Good opportunity for coyotes and that's about it. Most of the area is so flat, critters can see you coming a couple miles away. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough!

WY for sure. But, do you want to live in most of WY or can you stomach the cost of living in nw Wyoming is the question.

WY for sure. But, do you want to live in most of WY or can you stomach the cost of living in nw Wyoming is the question.
I would look at the Buffalo or Sheridan areas in WY. Beautiful country, wonderful people, strategic location to go north or south to hunt, and last but not least, the Winchester Steak House. :)

Definitely not WY, I don’t know if you have heard but resident hunter opportunity is so terrible they stood up a task force to help the downtrodden, mistreated resident hunters. Literally hundreds of threads on this.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I live in Wyoming if that tells you anything about
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Is this true? I love being a resident hunter here. I get an elk tag at the grocery store every year that would take me a lifetime to draw in CA (I was from CA originally, please don't judge me).

slick

WKR
Truth is, you can hunt pretty much all year round in most states if you're willing to change your weapon and species depending on the time of the year.

If bear hunting is your thing- tough to beat Oregon.
If deer hunting is your thing- midwest states
If hog hunting is your thing- southern states
If waterfowl hunting is your thing- too many places to name
If upland bird hunting is your thing- Nevada for chuks, Dakota's for roosters, etc.
If coyote hunting is your thing- anywhere
If cougar hunting is your thing- Likely Oregon unless you want to use hounds.
If sheep hunting is your thing- Alaska
If goat hunting is your thing- Alaska
If pronghorn hunting is your thing- Shoot idk, most places are all draw.
If wolf hunting is your thing- Idaho or Montana

Wyoming. I hunt it and have friends who live there. Their hunting opportunities make me jealous. Otc mulie tags where it takes me 8 years worth of points. Elk are in reasonable distances from the road. Plus it’s just beautiful. I love the people there too. I’ve lived in Montana. My brother still lives there. I have friends living in Idaho and Colorado. Even as a non resident of Wyoming the quality of my hunting is better than theirs.

BuzzH

WKR
Wyoming big-game opportunities could be better and likely will be come February for Residents....way past due.

Also, the bird hunting here sucks for the most part. Decent turkey hunting, fair waterfowl and total crap for upland birds.

Fishing is under-rated IMO for both warm and cold water.

Laramie

WKR
People bag on Colorado but the residents have it pretty good. There is a large amount of conversation regarding limiting non-residents in the future. It's bound to happen eventually. Couple that fact with them having the largest elk population, it's actually a pretty easy choice. That is if you can stomach the politics of the state...

Eric-solo

FNG
Outside of Alaska, which western states allow the best opportunity to hunt big game each year in quality areas without waiting years for limited tags? I am now more of a meat and experience hunter.
I have found myself hitting retirement age and semi retirement but don’t want to entirely stop working and my work allows me to work in most of the western states CO,WY,UT,MT,NV, and ID.
If I were younger I would consider resident living in Alaska for the Dall Sheep and Moose hunting available without having to hunt with a licensed guide. My DIY days are over in wilderness areas.
I have had a pretty active big game career and loved sheep hunting and other game in the Yukon, BC and the NWT. Maybe have one or two of those hunts left in me. I enjoy game meat.
What I am searching for is a state where I can live and continue my hunting career into my retirement years and get a yearly resident bull elk tag (doesn’t need to be a trophy area) in a area where if I spend the time I would have success. Another plus would be antelope, whitetail, mule deer, waterfowl and walleye fishing.
I have lived in MT in my younger years, have lived in Colorado three different times, but the past 20 years I have been living primarily in the mid south , NV and AZ . I have been primarily hunting quail , waterfowl and whitetails along with a occasional elk and mule deer hunt. I have not kept up with the different resident state regulations. I have lived at 9500 ft elevation and experienced WY winds and winter , so I understand the western states.
What western states would allow the best resident opportunities for a retired person to hunt elk annually along with other big game opportunities?
Please feel free to send a PM if you want to share private info .
MtnW
if you're looking to fill the freezer come to California. you can get 2 tags if you apply early. most blacktail units are otc. the mule deer units you'll need at least 6 points and up to 20. hunting is not easy and you'll need to get away from the crowds.
and pray for rain!