What’s a fair ask to sell my diesel truck?

SDHNTR

WKR
2006 Dodge 2500. Quad cab. 8’ bed. 4x4. 5.9l Cummins. 156k miles. Auto tranny rebuilt 30k miles ago with the best money can buy. Original owner. No wrecks. Some cosmetic bumps and bruises and paint wear typical of age. Mechanically, it’s been impeccably maintained. Needs nothing mechanical and runs perfectly.

I see rough pricing from $18k - 30k for similar trucks, quite the range, which is why I’m asking. I know these Cummins trucks are special and command a higher price, what’s a fair ask? In Southern CA too, which matters because this truck will run fine on Mexi diesel and newer diesel trucks won’t.

Last edited:

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my 07 5.9 6 speed, short bed. I was the second owner, my brother owned it for the first 30k, I sold it with 125k on the clock. Pretty basic build but was one of the cleanest 3rd gens. Won a bunch of money at show and shines and truck shows. Dd clutch, tuned, exhaust. I got 40k cash and should have listed it higher. I figured I would have got low balled so started with a high ask. Had over 20 responses in a day and it sold right away. They are brining insane money right now. IMG_8232.jpeg

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s is decent shape. Some small dents. Paint not great up close. But nothing major. It’s a good reliable truck that doesn’t make you cry when you scratch it. It looks like a white Dodge quad cab 4x4 with a long bed.

Attachments

• 71763849229__AC2DD26D-FF7E-473E-B14A-6EF5FF8EF41C.jpeg
    71763849229__AC2DD26D-FF7E-473E-B14A-6EF5FF8EF41C.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 244
2006 Dodge 2500. Quad cab. 8’ bed. 4x4. 5.9l Cummins. 156k miles. Auto tranny rebuilt 25k miles ago with the best money can buy. Original owner. No wrecks. Some cosmetic bumps and bruises and paint wear typical of age. Mechanically, it’s been impeccably maintained. Needs nothing mechanical and runs perfectly.

I see rough pricing from $18k - 30k for similar trucks, quite the range, which is why I’m asking. I know these Cummins trucks are special and command a higher price, what’s a fair ask? In Southern CA too, which matters because this truck will run fine on Mexi diesel and newer diesel trucks won’t.
Lol with the price of diesel in the west you might have to pay me to take that one off your hands.

Lol with the price of diesel in the west you might have to pay me to take that one off your hands.
Honestly 24K seems to be what I've seen a few around here go for with private cash sales. If a dealer gets a hold of one for some damn reason they think it's worth 35K which is pretty close to what retail was in 2006.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
the way he is wording things., gives me the impression that that thing is hammered
Uh, no. Far from hammered. Just used, not abused, for 17 years. I’ve always been a stickler for mechanical maintenance and have spared no expense keeping it reliable. I would think nothing of hopping in this truck and driving it across the country tomorrow.

In my area you could probably get close to 30 for it people go crazy over those trucks. Realistically I don’t think you’d have it posted for more than a day if you asked 20 for it someone would show up with cash and buy it. If you don’t need it to sell fast I’d list it at 30 and see what happens

Trans built by a well know shop with all 3 shafts billet? If so I'd expect you to get mid 20s pretty easily.

Good parts by a local shop, low 20s.

I'm guessing it's not a loaded interior.

Damn watching this thread, I have an 05 new lightly built motor 50k ago plus extras. Think it’s about 177k on odometer. I should sell just doesn’t move. Trans isn’t built but have pulled the pan, looked great and clean no slip. Changed every fluid at 150k. 120k it was all gone through when dropped new motor in.

If anyone in Montana wants it let me know maybe goes 1,000 miles a year. Gotta love work pickups that allow personal!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
With 4WD and long bed, and the coveted 5.9 Cummins before they moved to 6.7, you should list it for $26,000 and see what offers you get.

Hunter53

FNG
I have no idea what it is worth in CA as everything seems high out there. Here in NE the longbed would not be as desirable unless a farmer was wanting it.
Around here if no rust (very rare), easily fixable dents ( think paintless dent removal) and paint in good shape it would more than likely bring somewhere between 25-30k.
With that all said being in SO-Cal maybe start at 34k-ish and see what happens.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Trans built by a well know shop with all 3 shafts billet? If so I'd expect you to get mid 20s pretty easily.

Good parts by a local shop, low 20s.

I'm guessing it's not a loaded interior.
All billet shafts, Goerend parts, built by the best in the biz, well known in Dodge circles as a go to shop for 48re rebuilds in the Southwest.

Bighorn package. Not a loaded interior, but not base model either.

Weldor

WKR
I see the prices all over the planet here in AZ. The market was hot during covid. seems to have cooled down some. I have seen the same adds for months now. Maybe it is just the economy? The Diesel market was going good when all the work from home crew was buying up every RV and truck that could pull em. Not so much now. GLWS those 5.9's are great. I have the 6.7 can't complain.

All billet shafts, Goerend parts, built by the best in the biz, well known in Dodge circles as a go to shop for 48re rebuilds in the Southwest.

Bighorn package. Not a loaded interior, but not base model either.
Randy's?

It's dumb, but in Dodge circles a trans by one of the handful of big names does command a significant premium.

Round up a little from my last post.

23K-27K in Southern Idaho. The covid truck craze is starting to wear off here, but 5.9CTD's are still faring well. For some reason long beds are sought after here .