What’s in your log book?

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a new rifle and will be reloading for it. I’ve reloaded in the past but it’s been twenty years so I’m approaching it as if I know nothing. My goal is to learn to shoot longer distances (up to 1,000 yards) so I’ll be confident taking shots under 500 yards when hunting.

With this in mind what info would you suggest recording in my reloading log book and also my range log book?

Wapiti1

WKR
Bullet, powder, powder charge, case make, primer, velocity at X charge per shot, temperature that day is what I keep in my range log for load workup. If I am shooting for drop data, I add density altitude for that day along with the drop data. I don't use a form, and just keep it in normal lined notebooks.

I don't have a log at the reloading bench and refer to my range log for data.

Jeremy

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Bullet, powder, powder charge, case make, primer, velocity at X charge per shot, temperature that day is what I keep in my range log for load workup. If I am shooting for drop data, I add density altitude for that day along with the drop data. I don't use a form, and just keep it in normal lined notebooks.

I don't have a log at the reloading bench and refer to my range log for data.

Jeremy
Thanks, do keep any data on wind drift?

hunterjmj

WKR
I also keep a log of fired brass measurements and loaded measurements. This comes in handy if you're having questions on your measurements. Cbto measurements are important so you load the same length every time. I'll load a hundred rounds and it may be 5-6 months before I load again so I have to refer to my load data to get the same product every time.

Flyjunky

WKR
I also keep a log of fired brass measurements and loaded measurements. This comes in handy if you're having questions on your measurements. Cbto measurements are important so you load the same length every time. I'll load a hundred rounds and it may be 5-6 months before I load again so I have to refer to my load data to get the same product every time.
Same here and I’ll also log neck tension as well. I also keep a running round count as well. On the first page of my book I write all the above info for the cartridge. All my guns have their own book.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks, do keep any data on wind drift?
I do not. I have not found enough difference between measured and what my solver says to think it is worthwhile. On flat ground with a known, at target, wind the solver is good enough for my needs.

Flyjunky reminded me that I do keep a simple log for each rifle and handgun. What ammo it likes and round count.

Jeremy

N2TRKYS

WKR
I make up note cards when I do load data work ups. When I choose a load, that card goes into that cartridge’s die case. That and my Caldwell chrono puts everything on the app. I can also take pics of the group for each load. 😎

49ereric

WKR
Recipe written on the slips that come in bullet boxes and stuck to the inside the ammo box.

bw0311

FNG
I keep my load details written in a binder on the reloading bench and give the load an easy to remember name.
Example: XBR77smk
I keep a rite-in-the-rain logbook where I record all my zeros after a match or practice, what range I was on, and which load I was using. at each range I record elevation and no wind zero, so over time you see a trend. plotting shots in a databook helps as well for you to investigate or verify other things. it sounds complicated, but when all the numbers and trends are together its very simple
Once I burn out the barrel I start a new page
example for one match/practice:
Range: Racine || 200: 1.5 / .5L || 300: 4.0 / .25L || 600: 14.5 / 0.0 || load: XBR77smk

it also helps to have a home range and keep a solid zero at 200 to have a reference to go back to in case you remount any sights or any other modifications.