what's in your pockets/on your person when hunting?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always carry a well stocked pack (day or multi-day), but I like to carry a few items in my pockets/on my person- one the items are handy and two, in the event of getting separated from my pack, I still have a few bits to help out.

Prefaced to say I hunt in very remote areas and almost always solo, if I was pheasant hunting next to a county a road my pocket carry would look a little different :D

My pockets hold a small Silva compass (going on 40 years old!)- it's attached via a lanyard, no chance of loss (0.9 oz), in the same pocket goes a full sized Bic w/ a few sections of innertube that hold a few fire fuses (0.9 oz); on the opposite I carry small Swiss Army knife (Walker)- has a blade and small saw- it's also on a lanyard (can be taken off via a small gate clip)- on the same lanyard is a small ferro rod (made for BSA) and a small container with tinder- 2.0 oz.

My iPhone (w/ Gaiagps and serves as my camera)- 6 oz, goes in my right cargo pocket with a Kuiu neck gater (0.7 oz), my left cargo pocket holds my headlamp (2.6 oz) and a pair of gloves or mittens (weight varies).

Around my neck is a lanyard with a photon light, whistle and a St Christopher medal! (0.6 oz). My wrist wears a cord bracelet (~ 8-10' of small dyneema line)- 0.2 oz.

What's on your person when hunting?

lU88EFj.jpg

Last edited:

boom

WKR
in my pocket (besides the usual suspects):

ferro rod, knife, shotgun choke tube tool.

(in my manbag. flashlight, multitool).pocket dump.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rangefinder in my left chest shirt pocket with the lanyard around my neck. Sometimes my GPS in my left pant's pocket. My watch is in my right cargo pocket, and in my left cargo pocket is my Windicator. I might also have a Primos Hyper Lip single cow call in one of the pockets. Then I generally have my Kahles 8x32's around my neck and under my right arm, along with my bugle tube. I also carry my diaphragm reeds in a pouch around my neck and inside my shirt. And finally my G20 on my left hip. That's about it, but I never get separated from my pack. It's always on when I'm hunting.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
My phone and wallet. Maybe a beanie or light gloves wind up in a pocket if I shed them when I get too hot. But most days start with just the phone and wallet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Trees91

WKR
I keep mine empty. I don't like the bulk. Also seems like my Kuiu pants have big pockets so things like to bounce around in them. Everything I need to get at quick is in my bino harness, pack hip pouches or my packs lid.

In my pants: Mini Griptilian, a lighter, lip balm, compass and some toilet paper

In my jacket: thin deer skin gloves and a beanie, 5 extra rounds in a shell holder, headlamp. Maybe some jerky or a candy bar.

Last edited:

j33

WKR
In my pants pockets: phone, chapstick, knife, lighter, fire starter. I wanna be prepared if I get separated from my pack.

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I don’t like keeping a lot of gear in my pockets so most of it goes in my bino harness and pack. Normally on hunts I have a Kershaw Blur in my front pocket and a can of Rogue Wintergreen in my cargo pocket. If it’s a late season hunt I keep my electronics in my jacket pockets to save the batteries.

Michael54

WKR
Phone, lighter, bark river psk, dog treats for the dogs, and usually a Thats It bar or two for myself.

nhol100

FNG
Pockets for me are empty, I dont trust everything will stay in them. But I wear a bino harness that I never really take off, its got my Binos, Rangefinder, wind indicator, hand held release, knife, lighter, and compass (and possibly calls depending on what I am hunting).

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
headlamp and gloves in the cargo pockets.....pocket knife somewhere.

Usual suspects plus tiny multi-tool, lighter, fire starting material in the bino harness

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Truck keys are clipped to a piece of 550 cord, attached to my belt loop and in my rt. front pocket.
Bullet wallet if rifle hunting.
Windicator.
Cell phone in my interior pocket if cold.
Wallet, handkerchief.
Now, in my AGC bino pack are tags, lens pen and cloth, rangefinder, wind meter, spare batteries.