What's in your pockets?

mtnkid85

WKR
I agree with most of the others, hate too much stuff bouncing off my knees. I'll even take my knife out of my pocket on occasion. About all I do carry is my imediate food, a few bars ect. Oh and tp!

Ironman8

WKR
I didn't want to start my own thread for such a small topic, but for those who don't like things in your pockets, is it personal preference or do you feel that having things in your pockets on long hikes takes a toll on your legs moreso than without them?

I ask because I was planning on a small ~1lb pocket survival kit that would fit inside a cargo pocket on one side. The other side would be fore gloves, gaiter, beanie, and maybe a granola/power bar. Any thoughts on something that light affecting your stamina? Or probably not enough to matter?

Ozz08

WKR
Chapstick in left front pocket, sometimes I have my rangefinder in my right front pocket, can of Copenhagen in my left cargo pocket and wind checker in my right cargo pocket.

mtnkid85

WKR
I didn't want to start my own thread for such a small topic, but for those who don't like things in your pockets, is it personal preference or do you feel that having things in your pockets on long hikes takes a toll on your legs moreso than without them?

I ask because I was planning on a small ~1lb pocket survival kit that would fit inside a cargo pocket on one side. The other side would be fore gloves, gaiter, beanie, and maybe a granola/power bar. Any thoughts on something that light affecting your stamina? Or probably not enough to matter?

Its the constant rubbing and bouncing that drives me nuts. Its not so bad if the pants fit PERFECTLY, but if they are just a little too lose than the weight makes that pocket swing back and worth. If I have to have stuff in my pockets Ill try to use my back pockets or the hand pockets first.

Just try carrying your little kit around for a while, if you don't mind it than more power to you.

I don't like anything in pants pockets when I'm hunting and hiking. Same as mtnkid, the bouncing drives me nuts. No need for six pockets in pants for me.

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
I hate having things in my pocket also, for me, it's just a comfort thing, so only chapstick in my left pocket, knife on my pack belt. If I drop pack, I'll grab my waist pack off my blue widow with a cliff bar, water bladder, and my small survival ziplock (lighter, fire starter, small knife, emergency blanket) I carry my sidearm on my thigh, so I don't have any available pockets on the right side of my leg.

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if it was just a preference or an actual functional issue. I'll be trying a long(er) hike with it soon to see if I can tell a difference.

Frequently I leave my pack in camp, particularly if I'm headed out the ridge to spot/scout pre-season.
I guess I'm the oddball, I like large cargo pocket on the thigh, were else am I supposed to carry my beers? ha, ha.
But seriously, good cargo pants are designed to position the thigh pockets on the outside of the leg. No real bouncing of gear, maybe a rattle if you mix the wrong stuff together, but otherwise a handy place to carry a couple power bars and a small water bottle, rangefinder, TP, or the UL meat bags if I'm feeling optimistic. I grew up hunting in BDU's so I guess I just adopted that style of pant early in life.
I don't believe there's any fatigue factor associated w/ thigh pockets.
Hunt'nFish

Ironman8

WKR
I grew up hunting in BDUs as well...and still to this day. Don't know if that makes me an un-kool kid or not, but I also like the utility of the pockets myself. I've just noticed that most of the hiking pants and alot of the other pants on the market today either don't have cargo pockets or have extremely small pockets that don't have much capacity. Didn't know if I was missing something, but as you and others have said, it looks to be just user preference. Now the battle for me is finding a good pair of pants that actually fit my thighs and waist (at the same time!) and have good cargo capacity. BDU's are probably the only ones that have ever fit me right for the most part.