what's your beef with turkey?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never enough of a priority on my days off, I’m not using a vacation day to hunt turkeys.

mtnkid85

WKR
Anyone who's never had an interest in them. Just try spot and stalking them with a bow. Ive never really pursued them until I got into archery and thought Id give it a try just to get more experience with my bow.

The damn little things are wiley. They are like feathered submarines cruising through the grass/pines. They don't have ears or antlers that you can see before they see you. I had a good time chasing them this year.

The nuisance bird shits in the carport, eats the cats food off of the front porch and they fight themselves in the reflection of our house windows. You can walk up to them and get 20 yards away before they do anything. this is in north idaho where you can shoot 5 a year. I just don't see the challenge. then 50 roost in your trees and land on both sides of your house and just squawk. I might enjoy them if i did not live with them. Had 2 jakes in the yard this morning. I don't like them, but i could care less if somepeople do.

Can I come to your place and do some hunting then? I’ll help thin the nuisance birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
I actually don't allow adults to hunt on my property, but i have had a bunch of kids over the years, get there first turkey at my house.
Lol that’s funny because I told my wife if I did get permission I’d actually not want to hunt myself, but ask about my daughter who is 12 and my son who is 8 😀

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
To the guys
LOOOOOLLLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL

Poser made the most perfect post in regard to Western American's opinion towards turkeys:
It's hot out, and I could be snowboarding!!!!!!! Hot and snowboarding are NOT two words that many turkey hunters would put together. I get the whole disgust toward blinds and expensive decoys. I haven't killed a single turkey with a decoy.

Lolololololol

I hunted 4 days in Colorado and had 2 shot opportunities on legal bulls in NW Colorado during 1st Rifle of 2018. I hunted a total of 18+ days on public this season and killed 2 toms. I also killed 2 coyotes that walked into my lap that didn't make it out in the same day, on two different set ups a mile apart from each set up. Had a 3rd in the same week catch an load of shot in the ass. Much like y'all complain about elk not bugling, too many people hunting, etc., turkey hunting in the East and particularly the Southeast are different. However, I'd argue they're similar in the amount of pressure from all sorts of predators.

Come hunt an Eastern with me in South Carolina on public and you'll appreciate it better. You'll walk about 5-6 miles a day. They don't gobble much.

Different strokes for sure, but an Eastern Tom can be as much work as a legal bull out West.

No thanks. It matters not where or how you hunt turkeys. You couldn't pay me to go hunt them. Hard or easy, east or west, 5 feet or 5 miles. They are still boring and uninteresting to hunt for me. No offense to you guys who like to hunt them but claiming they are more appreciative to hunt where you're at makes no difference. A Turkey is a Turkey, it's no more appealing because you think may work harder.

BS Shooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have found the same debate over pronghorn/antelope. A lot of guys that live with them think they should all be exterminated and that they aren't fit to eat. Then a smaller population of locals think they are the best meat ever, I know guys that will eat it over elk. Then you have all the other people that don't live near them and it is something cheap and fun to go hunt.

I have found the same debate over pronghorn/antelope. A lot of guys that live with them think they should all be exterminated and that they aren't fit to eat. Then a smaller population of locals think they are the best meat ever, I know guys that will eat it over elk. Then you have all the other people that don't live near them and it is something cheap and fun to go hunt.

I’ve heard they are the lobster of the prairie. I’ve never had one and holding out to taste some before I actually hunt them.

BS Shooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard they are the lobster of the prairie. I’ve never had one and holding out to taste some before I actually hunt them.

I've had one bad one, a few that were just ok, and the majority were great. I think it has a lot to do with field care and the animals diet. I have even converted a few "not fit eat" thinkers to, "you should bring more of that" thinkers.

JPD350

WKR
20200505_175434.jpg
That's right, Turkey enchiladas, whoever has eaten one of these thinks about it for the rest of their lives.
I get at least 5 fantastic meals from each bird plus I get to scout my ass off in the elk woods, enjoy whatever you choose to hunt to the fullest extent. Pura Vida!

To the guys

No thanks. It matters not where or how you hunt turkeys. You couldn't pay me to go hunt them. Hard or easy, east or west, 5 feet or 5 miles. They are still boring and uninteresting to hunt for me. No offense to you guys who like to hunt them but claiming they are more appreciative to hunt where you're at makes no difference. A Turkey is a Turkey, it's no more appealing because you think may work harder.

I respect your opinion. What has to catch your attention in order to allow you to keep your name? Strutting Toms are very vain and are very much RazzleDazzle when the sun hits their feathers.

RCB

WKR
I shot my first turkey this year and enjoyed it immensely. Called it in to about 10 yards. I’m a pretty new hunter and this was the first time I’ve ever experienced something like that. Quite an experience. I was so pumped up on adrenaline after the kill that I nearly felt sick. So, I get it.
That being said, I don’t know that I’d ever travel to hunt turkey. Or take vacation days. Or take it over a big game hunt.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I respect your opinion. What has to catch your attention in order to allow you to keep your name? Strutting Toms are very vain and are very much RazzleDazzle when the sun hits their feathers.

Haha yeah the shining feathers of a big Tom are kinda cool but not as cool as a 30, 40, 50, 60 pound fish blowing up your lure. I'll take fresh white fish over smelly wild Turkey breast any day. Chasing giant predatory fish that most will never know exist is a hunt in itself. An 11" inch beard is Razzledazzle but it's a lot easier to come by than a freshwater fish bigger than a 10 year old boy.

b051798839e7ca6563eca0eabf2d25f5.jpg

Turkey leg carnitas from Hank Shaw’s recipe. One of the best wild game dishes I’ve made. So easy and so good.

Wrench

WKR
I literally watched wdfw catch one in town with a fish landing net. My buddy roped one that wouldn't get off a car, and I've had to physically chase them away from my kids.

They're a nuisance. If you don't have them in your area, try parking your car near a dumpster and pretend to wash it. One will be along shortly to shit on it.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in full blown fishing mode by the time turkey season rolls around. I'd just rather be fishing.

Plus, around here there's too many morons. Stalking you while you're calling or they'll drive around in the morning, pull over where your parked at and look for the tom roosted in the tree. If they find him they'll blast him out of the tree before shooting hours. I'll only go when I need feathers.

Sounds like I need to plan a trip to N. Idaho/Eastern Wa. The whole nuisance thing is a cop out. Its like hunting geese, go to the park and they're eating out of your hands, go set up in a field to hunt them and they'll give you a bad case of the red ass. Same thing with deer in neighborhoods.

If you've hunted turkeys and it doesn't tickle your fancy, I respect that, don't understand it but respect it. But if you have never hunted them, please STFU!

cnelk

WKR
Im in the 'Take it or Leave it' crowd - mostly Leave it.
The Juice aint worth the Squeeze.

Much rather be ice fishing or walleye fishing in March / April

I always enjoyed turkey hunting. It isn't as simple as opening the kitchen window and shooting one out of the roost tree around here.

Wrench

WKR
Sounds like I need to plan a trip to N. Idaho/Eastern Wa. The whole nuisance thing is a cop out. Its like hunting geese, go to the park and they're eating out of your hands, go set up in a field to hunt them and they'll give you a bad case of the red ass. Same thing with deer in neighborhoods.

If you've hunted turkeys and it doesn't tickle your fancy, I respect that, don't understand it but respect it. But if you have never hunted them, please STFU!
This is a tough crowd to reveal a weakness to over a yard bird.

Tradguy

FNG
I'll give turkey hunting a go every spring, usually a few days worth and then I go to fishing mode. Started kayak fishing a few years ago and that has really got me hooked, no pun intended. I do really enjoy going out turkey hunting with my younger brother, that guy can flat out call. The perfect day this time of year would be turkey hunt in the morning with a tom on the ground first thing, followed by finding a sack full of morels on the way back to the truck and then catching a limit of crappie that evening. What ever you guys do make sure to enjoy it, we only get so many days to love what we do.