Whats your pick for a used bow?

Beendare

WKR
Criteria;
No more than about 4 years old,

Longer ATA as I have a 30” DL…like 33”-34” or so

NOT heavy…..looking to keep it under 4# bare bow

I’m currently looking for a LEFTY RX7 Ultra, PSE Levitate or PSE Carbon air. Any comment on those appreciated. I ‘ve been shooting trad for a long time…..but want to equal opportunity hunt with both.

I have a mach 34 and a levitate. The levitate is great for the added speed, but the mach 34 is just so smooth and a bit more stable with its additional length.

The Hoyt won't meet your bare weight limit, but the PSEs will.

If you don't need the speed of the levitate, the mach 1 might be a good option too, and could be had for a bit less money. Similar basic form, just a bit slower.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The 4lb requirement really limits your choice. Off the top of my head the PSE carbons are the only option.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My choice was a Mathews Traverse. It goes out to 33" draw, in fact mine had the longest 75% mods on it when I bought it. But then I tried 1/2" shorter and it feels much better now. It won't meet your weight requirement, but so far I like it. Should be able to pick one up for under $600 by now. Easy to tune and work on.

LostArra

WKR
A 3-4 yr old bow quickly becomes a 6-8 yr old bow. (My Mathews are 8 and 9 yrs old; deer, hogs and elk don't ask). I am by no means a compound expert but my experience with Mathews and parts for their older bows has been excellent. I helped a friend get parts for a 20+ yr old Mathews bow and their customer service perfect. (Not cheap, but prompt and helpful)

Scoot

WKR
PSE Levitate and Mach 34 meet your criteria and are solid choices. If you want smooth drawing, be sure you have the EC2 cams on them. I shot a M34 with the S2 cams and one with the EC2 cams this past weekend- holy moly, what a difference! No way I'd sacrifice the smoothness of the EC2 cam to pick up a little speed with the S2- the S2 cam draw cycle just flat sucked IMO.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Thanks for the info.

My buddies- an ex Hoyt Dealer and another PSE sponsored shooter have told me essentially the same thing with the added comment that these carbon bows need specific added weight ( bars/stabilizers) to balance them…so it could be the weight savings is all for not!

Though that might be said for many bows. I’m trying to get away from hauling an 8# plus compound around….which is about the avg for buddies. I’ve been spoiled carrying trad bows…but a much shorter range weapon that limits opportunities Especially in open desert country.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info.

My buddies- an ex Hoyt Dealer and another PSE sponsored shooter have told me essentially the same thing with the added comment that these carbon bows need specific added weight ( bars/stabilizers) to balance them…so it could be the weight savings is all for not!

Though that might be said for many bows. I’m trying to get away from hauling an 8# plus compound around….which is about the avg for buddies. I’ve been spoiled carrying trad bows…but a much shorter range weapon that limits opportunities Especially in open desert country.

A carbon bow with a quivalizer is going to be the most light weight package.

I switched to a quivalizer for 100% of my hunting. On my Omen, I was able to drop a full pound of weight comparing a full quivalizer to 2 stablizers plus a full side mounted quiver.

I just got a mach34 I'm setting up, and I will be doing the same setup on it.

KHNC

WKR
Mach 34 from PSE is the bomb! Of course, with the EC2 cam as stated above. Its a flat out shooter. First carbon ive owned after years of shooting Bowtech. Carbon is made in the USA as well. Easy to tune and to shoot.

I shoot an RX7 with 3 ounces on the front of a 10” stabalizer. I don’t think it’s completely necessary to add weight to the lighter bows. However, you won’t know until you shoot it.

psirus7

WKR
PSE Carbon Air Stealth or Mach 34 with Evolve Cams (EC). I regret selling my PSE stealth with ECs…smooth and plenty fast.

nphunter

WKR
I just built a Mach 34. It weighs 5.42lbs ready to hunt. I won’t be using a stabilizer I haven’t found they improve my accuracy enough under 60 to matter. I only paid $1050 for the bare bow before doing a cam swap.

10C9AF7E-09CA-44D3-9ED9-A48DABBA8216.jpeg

Last edited:
Only one season using it but so far the Mathews TRX 34 has been awesome. Not a speedy bow but holds very well with minimal stab weight added, Is relatively light weight fully loaded, I will have to get an exact weight tomorrow when I get home from work.
ATA 34"
Max DL 30"(Probably Closer to 30.5 with 30in Mod)
My setup - 460gn Arrow going 286fps @ 29in and 72lbs.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Mathews def has the highest resale value. Allows you to buy and try and sell if it doesn’t work out.

craigrh13

FNG
I hadn’t shot a bow in like 15 years. I searched a bunch and even asked on here. I ended up getting a Bowtech Reign 7. I absolutely love it. It’s incredibly smooth and quiet. I bought it off a member here for $450 and that included a quiver and the rest.