What's your wall tent + entire camp setup time?

This year we took it to Montana and just put up the bare tent. The ground was a lot softer, so it was easier to beat in the stakes. Took 1hr. A831AD22-5A24-4BFA-88AA-982549ADC8C0.jpeg

This year we used the Kodiac Canvas 12x12. Two adults it sets up in about 15-20 with another 15 for the awning.

13183BC1-106A-4536-81C8-32F4C5DF3C9F.jpeg

Solo - about 6 min for the SO Redcliff.

We can have our tent all set up within an hour. As for having camp fully established, usually closer to 2.5 - 3 hours to have all firewood cut,split and stacked, fire pit dug out, ATV'S unloaded, kitchen set up, etc.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

At 5 hours set up/takedown time you must have one hell of an elaborate camp setup.

I mirror most others setup times - for the wall tent it’s generally an hour - 1.5 hours from truck to fully set up including kitchen stuff. Less with the Kodiak. Take down takes slightly longer because you’re trying to Tetris everything back in.

The more you do it the faster you will get. 5 hours is a lot, but I'm sure you will find ways to trim that down.

We picked up 3/8" x 12" at Menards. All the other home stores should have them. Get the longest ones they have. It doesn't change the amount of time to put one in by much. Guarantee it takes less time per lag bolt than it takes to pound in 1 stake, especially in tough ground. Also recommend the thickest fender washer you can buy for a 3/8" fastener. That setup is money!

The lag bolts still have trouble with rocks. This year I got tired of trying to drive a few of them, so just pounded those in the best I could. In ground that isn't rocky I've found that pounding stakes works just as well as the lag bolts.

Takes about an hour and a half for tent, cots, wood stove, camp Kitchen, food and unpack cloths and gear.

I’m with everyone else on set up time. I’d look at organization and such. That way when stuff comes out of the trailer you have what you need. For example the tent poles aren’t clear to the front forcing you to unload the trailer to set up the tent. This requires you to handle everything twice.

A snowtrekker tent has been a game changer for us. We had the tent up and the gear out of the blizzard in about 5 minutes, and then another 10 to set all the stakes. Water was boiling on the stove in under an hour of arriving at camp. Good thing too, because the snow was sideways and the windchill was brutal. This was after a several hour hike into the backcountry, but my goats carried everything but my pack, rifle and 2 dozen eggs.
The tent is so easy that I prefer to set it up solo, as I have the process down that way. My buddy helped a tiny bit with the wind trying to blow the tent away, but mostly he was cutting firewood, and throwing panniers in the tent.

I can set up my 12x14 with internal frame wall tent and stove in about 1 hours solo. Assemble the roof, put the canvas on, lift one end and put the vertical poles in, lift the other end and put the poles in so I have the 4 corners, then put in the intermediate poles. With my wife we have camp set up in about 1 1/2 hours. As soon as I get the tent set up and on the frame she puts in the floors and sets up cots/etc while I'm staking it down. She rolls out sleeping bags and moves food in and then I set up the stove and she usually sets up the kitchen. Everything is in totes and is labeled. We have 2 boys as well, but they are 4 and 2 so all they help with is bringing stakes and also the occasional pole. I think they slow me down a bit putting the frame together, but help the process a bit staking it down. I'm hoping when they are 8 and 10 we can get it down to about 1/2 hour.

14x16 Davis with rain fly, vestibule, woodstove, cook system, cots, 6 large coolers, table chairs, shower, out house. Three guys, two over 60. 2-3 hours. There’s a lot of details that others may not require? Level bunks, table staked down for stability, 12v power set up, lantern hangers and shields. Too much for sure but we like comfort 😁.
PS 10 yrs ago we were a lot faster…

Attachments

• EED3C706-64F7-4AAB-B21F-3D73CE7C6F4E.jpeg
    EED3C706-64F7-4AAB-B21F-3D73CE7C6F4E.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back