When did SO stop offering OD and Coyote pack colors?

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Two or three years ago I was waffling on buying a SO Gila or Divide in OD or Coyote color fabric. When I was done procrastinating, lo and behold, SO had stopped offering those colors.

Can anyone tell me why?

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
I think it had to do with moving on to more advanced fabrics.
Thank you. Have read about these newer fabrics. Mostly all positive. Even so, I like muted, earthy colors when I'm in the woods.

Keeping an eye on the WTS stuff, now.

woods89

WKR
Thank you. Have read about these newer fabrics. Mostly all positive. Even so, I like muted, earthy colors when I'm in the woods.

Yup. I picked up an olive Lanner a month or so ago in the classifieds.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FYI - The charcoal is surprisingly muted in the field. It's a bit bright, an shiny on our stock photos. I think we are going to change that.

Frankly, all of us are hunters, and all of us were suspicious of the charcoal, and all of were pleasantly surprised in the field.

sndmn11

WKR

It's like a freshly poured wet concrete color; pretty darned matte but photographs poorly.

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
"...all of were pleasantly surprised in the field."
---------------------------
They have no other choice if they want a SO pack.

While all are satisfied with how the pack carries and the toughness of the material, I've a sneaking suspicion some of the "all" who were pleasantly surprised with the charcoal color would choose OD/coyote/multicam/etc, were those still offered.

A search on this site and hunt talk site, going back a few years, shows about equal numbers of OD/coyote packs and charcoal packs. So the buyers are there.

But I imagine ordering and stocking multiple colors and fabrics is time consuming and more costly than using the same material/color for everything.

On another subject, sir, many back country shelter/pack makers are offering Dyneema, albeit with a price increase due to increased manufacturing/transport costs across the board. Since Dyneema appears to be readily available, do you have any plans to offer DCF shelters? If so, any thought to when that might happen?

Thank you

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
"...all of were pleasantly surprised in the field."
---------------------------
They have no other choice if they want a SO pack.

While all are satisfied with how the pack carries and the toughness of the material, I've a sneaking suspicion some of the "all" who were pleasantly surprised with the charcoal color would choose OD/coyote/multicam/etc, were those still offered.

A search on this site and hunt talk site, going back a few years, shows about equal numbers of OD/coyote packs and charcoal packs. So the buyers are there.

But I imagine ordering and stocking multiple colors and fabrics is time consuming and more costly than using the same material/color for everything.

On another subject, sir, many back country shelter/pack makers are offering Dyneema, albeit with a price increase due to increased manufacturing/transport costs across the board. Since Dyneema appears to be readily available, do you have any plans to offer DCF shelters? If so, any thought to when that might happen?

Thank you
We have offered Dyneema in the past. Usually we do it like a drop almost. We may do some again.

We can get to a gray color, but not MC or similar on this fabric. When we introduced the new packs, we did so at the Western Hunt Expo. We also offered them with a Wolf gray option , that was a little heavier, but still very good. We also built more Wolf packs, thinking it would be the more desirable color.

At the expo , we sold about 95 percent charcoal. Those numbers maintained until we finally just stopped wolf as well.

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Kevin.

How many OD and coyote packs did you bring/sell to the Expo, or were those colors discontinued by then?

Is there just not enough consumer interest in DCF Cimarron bring it back into the lineup?

I understand that with the dramatic cost increases of food, gas, electricity, heating oil, and everything else (sure glad I bought those pallets of Greek HXP 30-06 at 25 cents/round delivered, from CMP a decade ago), perhaps not many would consider buying a $1,000 tent.

But some of us would. Let the drop begin!

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OD/Tan was discontinued by the expo. Over the years we've sold packs in stone gray, green, black, teal, I think we did some multicam black and alpine camo at one time...Multicam, coyote brown, spectra, wolf, and charcoal.

They all work. The charcoal is a good color on a really fantastic fabric. UltraPE is the biggest improvement in pack fabrics in around ten years.

The DCF Cimarron is a compelling tent that we like a lot. Light enough to solo, good hot tent for two people, can summer camp a family of four with a full nest...it covers a lot of ground. Fabric supply has been a real issue.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
>Which Ultra are you using; 100, 200, 400, 800?

>Tarptent, HMG, MLD, Durston, and a few others seem to have a good DCF supply. Why can't you source from their suppliers?

Thank you.
It was a real issue , for almost 2 years. Now we manufacture them sort of in a group.

There will be an opportunity to order them in November , we are working on the details.