When did the swaro ats-65 go HD?

wildcat33

WKR
Got a line on an older ats-65 in good condition. Serial number places it at 2003 mfg. A google search for the HDs, it seem they show up around 2008. Papers in the photo show it as HD. so something seems off.

Anyone know the first year the HD spotters were introduced?

BBob

WKR
As far as I remember when they first came out both were available. You had a choice of HD or non HD. Same with the 80mm.

I purchased an 80 HD in 2002.

Last edited:
OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Any hardware changes or updates since then that may give me bargaining leverage?

BBob

WKR
I asked this very question just a few months ago. I asked Swaro tech support about any changes in the HD's and more specifically any lens or coating changes. He said none in the HD bodies have ever been made. I didn't follow up and ask about non-HD but assumed they likely haven't there either. I asked about coating changes to eypieces and he wasn't sure but didn't think there was. I have noticed a slight difference in some 25-50's though, appearance but not necessarily performance. Just this past year the mounting foot is Arca compatible.

BBob

WKR
One anomaly in the history of these were the M series magnesium bodied scopes. They were available for a couple of years around 2010 as ATM/STM and were $100-150 more than the Alu bodies. When the economy crashed Swaro cut way back on production and discontinued the M's. Few people were buying them for the few ounces they saved. I did and still have one :)

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks. Crazy that 17 yrs (in my example) after mfg this scope is still unchanged and sought after. The one I’m looking at appears nearly unused

I have the ATM 20-60x65mm HD magnesium body scope from around 2011 if memory serves me right. I compared it to a non-HD 65mm aluminum scope with the same eye-piece, as mine and sure thought mine was optically superior. My opinion only. But can not answer your question...I don't know when the HD came out.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Got a look at the scope today. Mint condition but not HD. Don’t see too many non HD scopes for sale, anybody got a sense of what a competitive price is for a 2003 20-60 ats 65??

45% of what a new HD scope sells for? Not sure what new Swaro HD scope and eye piece sell for today, but I would not pay more than that.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I paid 1400 for non hd. Given the quality of the glass I’m happy for that price. I would be interested in comparing to an hd side by side.