When my gun loves factory ammo should i bother to reload?

Michael54

WKR
After having some issues with my reloads i panic bought factory ammo. Figured id shoot 3 shots of each box for best group and adjust my scope from there. 7mm rem mag wby vanguard sporter.

150gr fed non typical 3 shot at 100 yds
20201118_140447.jpg
139gr barnes lr 3 shot at 100 yard20201118_142834.jpg
I have yet to manage a reload that groups this good. I'm guessing it's 100% person doing the reloading (me) error. Out of the 6 brands of factory ammo ive tried i can get 4 to group like this. 150gr core lokts, 150gr federal non typicals, 152gr hornady sst's, and 139gr barnes lr. The best grouping ive gotten out of reloads is just inside 1" grouping at 100 yards. 160gr game kings, 58gr imr4350, federal magnum primers, remington brass, seated to 3.2 (guessing on this as im not near the card that has the info). The question is should i just stick to factory? Or is there a good chance i'll eventually be able to load consistently rounds that shoot this good?

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Both, buy the factory stuff and save the brass to hand load even if you never find a sweet spot You can at the very least increase your trigger time.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For shooting at 100 yards. No not at all.

For shooting past 500-600 yards depending on the rifle and ammo... This is where we typically see the velocity spread of factory ammo be the difference between kill hits and misses.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
For shooting at 100 yards. No not at all.

For shooting past 500-600 yards depending on the rifle and ammo... This is where we typically see the velocity spread of factory ammo be the difference between kill hits and misses.
I was just shooting for group. Realistically all of my shots are inside of 500 yards no matter where I'm hunting at. I dont dial I hold over.

JakeSCH

WKR
it completely depends on your intended purpose. If you are hunting 500 yards and in I would say you are in great shape to keep on using factory ammo.

Lastly, if it is bothering you why factory is shooting better (it would probably drive me mad)...I would buy a comparator kit and make sure to have consistent headspace on your brass and a very consistent CBTO.

Assuming consistent brass, the powder weight controls velocity (along with velocity spread) and seating depth (CBTO) control group size at 100y (note this is simplified but generally true)

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Lastly, if it is bothering you why factory is shooting better (it would probably drive me mad)...I would buy a comparator kit and make sure to have consistent headspace on your brass and a very consistent CBTO.
It's bothering me so much that i'm considering giving up trying lol.

kodiak17

FNG
I would say to get the factory stuff you can but would still try to find the sweet spot reloading as you never know when you wont be able to get factory ammo. Just happened to a buddy of mine. Partially his fault as he waited till the last minute then couldnot find his ammo on the island. I was able to load him some but he could easily have been out of the hunt if I didn't have the components to make it work.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I would say to get the factory stuff you can but would still try to find the sweet spot reloading as you never know when you wont be able to get factory ammo. Just happened to a buddy of mine. Partially his fault as he waited till the last minute then couldnot find his ammo on the island. I was able to load him some but he could easily have been out of the hunt if I didn't have the components to make it work.
Worse case scenario reload rounds are a cheap option for target practice.

Quin

FNG
Depends on how much shooting you do... Factory can be expensive so more than a few boxes a year and I'd use the factory for hunting and then be reloading practice ammunition (hone your trigger and reloading skills at the same time!).

I would still reload but first stock up on your choice of factory offering to take the pressure off developing a load you like. I have a rifle that likes factory ammo one brand and bullet, but it doesn't matter what factory ammo they all vary in velocity and impact with lot to lot changes. Each lot of bullets, brass, primers and powder is slightly different and when you start stacking those tolerances in mass produced ammo the next box of factory you try could open way up or impact different.
Tolerances are not different when you reload but YOU control the lot to lot changes and can account for them. Possibly a bigger factor for me reloading is bullet choice versus settling for a factory offering. In 7mag most of those are going to be pretty splashy on impact other than the barnes. I would have no issue with that bullet. Deer and antelope you are probably just fine on broadside shots, bigger game or quartering and I would question a few of those bullets making it to vitals.

rayporter

WKR
listen close-- you are gettin good info.

how much practice will you do if you can only find a couple boxes of ammo.

plan ahead, cause it may get a lot harder to find than it is now.

crich

WKR
If you've found a good factory load...attempt to replicate it.
I dont reload but this would be my approach. Find that accuracy node and now you have your own ammo with a smaller SD and factory as a backup 👍

But like I said im just an impostor in this subforum.

I’ll use both depending. I keep a box or two of factory ammo for hunting around that I know shoots well. If for some reason I can’t load up my own I have that to fall back on. My reloads have shot at least as well as the best factory groups I’ve gotten. I don’t do everything you can do to make reloads shoot better. Mostly the basics. Consistent powder weight, trim length, bullet seating depth, COL, and only bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths on brass fired from that gun. That will get you very accurate rounds. For hunting, I’m aiming for <= MOA. I won’t shoot past 500-550 yards (which would be rare and only if I couldn’t close the distance for whatever reason) so that will do fine. I’m still experimenting with various powders and bullets but once I settle on something, I’ll load a bunch of it.

The pros to reloading outside of accuracy make it worthwhile (so long as you find reloading fun):
  • It gives you more bullet options
  • Load your own during ammo shortages and price gouging (I just purchased a 7mm-08 and there was zero factory ammo available. I was lucky to find 50 pieces of brass online. If I didn’t reload I could not have sighted the gun in and used it hunting this year.
  • Once you find a good load you can load a bunch of it if you have the components on hand. Buying the same factory rounds year to year won’t guarantee they all will shoot the same. Their components and assembly will vary and can end up not shooting as well in your gun.
  • Like others have sId, if you shoot a lot, it is cheaper.
  • With experience and attention to detail, you will exceed factory accuracy. It may come painstakingly but if you have the desire it is absolutely possible.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Having an accurate and readily available factory load(s) is simply a bonus for a hunting rifle you may travel away from your loading bench with. Is pursuing a handload worthwhile to you? I can't say.

Lawnboi

WKR
I would take whatever factory offering your gun likes. Measure cbto and work up to the same velocity. I bet your velocity will be more consistent with fired brass and in theory if you get get the same bullet at the same cbto going the same speed you should see similar results.... that’s kind of what Berger told me when I wanted to copy their 140 hybrid factory offering.