When to put a dog down?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve got a 14 year old Lab. He’s been a great dog and had a good run - arguably had a better life and more fun than 99% of dogs do, between hunting, camping, and kids. In the last year he has become deaf as a door nail, mildly incontinent, and his hips are failing. His back legs slide apart on our floors and he has trouble doing much. You can see in his eyes that he is still the same dog inside, but his body is slowly failing. We give him anti-inflammatory drugs to keep him mobile and minimize discomfort, but sooner or later that won’t do the trick any more and I’m not one to dump a bunch of money into a dog just to eek out another 6 months of poor existence. I’ve seen several dogs at the very end of their lives, and he isn’t there yet, but I’m wondering what criteria people use to determine that it’s time to put their dog down. It will be tough, but I don’t want him to suffer either.

When he is miserable he’ll let you know. I dread that day with my pups, my bloodhound is close but he’s still doing his thing and still happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
Honestly I just went thru this.
My Lab Max was 13. I just had to put him down in August. He had gotten pretty bad over the last year. His hips had sunk in badly, he would fall down alot or loose his balance.
He still wanted to fetch the whole time but I was scared to let him. He also began to have a few seizures. When he had them I thought that was it but after a few minutes he would stand up. I knew it was coming.
One morning I went out to feed him and he wouldn't and couldn't stand up at all. I knew it was time. I had to carry my best friend.
One of hardest things to do. He is greatly missed and my female Lab has had a hard time adjusting.

HntnFsh

FNG
That's a tough one. I went through it awhile back with my mini rat terrorist. Seems like she spent half her life on my lap. Have a german shepherd that is pretty elderly and I'm not sure if she'll make it through the winter. Shes been a great dog and I will be sad to see her go. It just seems to me like they have a way of letting us know when its time. I think you will know it when that time comes. From the sounds of things it may not be far off. I always consider our pets as part of the family. Its tough making that decision, but we have to do whats right for them. Not for us. When they are suffering more than living, its time.

First let me say I truly feel your pain and can tell you there is no right time. Let me prepare you, it is hard real hard. I have had the pleasure of having two labs one Chocolate and one black, both hunted, hiked and could out run most. They were not just friends they were family! To let them go was the hardest decision I have ever had to make to date. Dakota (chocolate) lab had an issue where his throat would close and he would have a terrible time breathing. One day the family was outside playing in the snow and he had one such fit, eyes bulging out of his head really laboring to get oxygen to his lungs. I took him to the vet and was told due to his age 13 I think, that he would need a surgery and there was a chance he would never wake up. I decided to put him to sleep. I am a grown man and I was a reck for days!!
Next was Sam (black) he was 14, he was small for a lab but was an incredible dog, could run and jump like no lab I have ever seen. He used to jump up and down from a stand still to my eye level 6'2" with ease when I came through the door. A few months ago he stopped eating, I mean anything I would try and give him steak bacon you name it, he would not touch it. I took him to the vet to get a checkup and was told he was growing old and didn't have much time left. Took him home for a few days and finally made the hard decision. I guess in the end the only answer or advice I can give is that if you truly believe he is no longer enjoying or benefitting from being alive it is time to make the hard decision. Be prepared if you have never done this before, it is way harder than you think!!!!! I am truly sorry! Tell your buddy I said hi.

IdahoElk

WKR
I’ve got a 14 year old Lab. He’s been a great dog and had a good run - arguably had a better life and more fun than 99% of dogs do, between hunting, camping, and kids. In the last year he has become deaf as a door nail, mildly incontinent, and his hips are failing. His back legs slide apart on our floors and he has trouble doing much. You can see in his eyes that he is still the same dog inside, but his body is slowly failing. We give him anti-inflammatory drugs to keep him mobile and minimize discomfort, but sooner or later that won’t do the trick any more and I’m not one to dump a bunch of money into a dog just to eek out another 6 months of poor existence. I’ve seen several dogs at the very end of their lives, and he isn’t there yet, but I’m wondering what criteria people use to determine that it’s time to put their dog down. It will be tough, but I don’t want him to suffer either.

It's hard for me to verbalize when it's time but if your dog is a shadow of his prior self and is in pain or if the treatment for pain is having negative side affects it's time. Your dog was your best friend for years and your job is to help him pass on which is the hardest thing you will do.
Sorry about your friend.

16Bore

WKR
And word of warning. I don’t remember the exact amount of time or even if it applies to all states, but if your dog happens to bite someone, the rabies test is manditory.

Even the sweetest dog will bite when in excruciating pain.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I hear you... I don’t think he is there yet, but I’m pretty sure he won’t make spring. Four times before I’ve thought, “I’m going to watch him die. This sucks.” Twice on retrieves where he fell through the ice, once when he ran over a rattler on a retrieve, and once when he started to slide off a giant rock face. All four times he came out unscathed. I keep taking him camping with me hoping that he will die doing what he loves most, but he is stubborn and he keeps holding on. I don’t want to put him down - I’d rather he die like a hunting dog, not a pet. Doesn’t look like that is going to happen though. Fun fact, I taught him to retrieve from the bottom of a 10 foot pool. He can do it from jumping in, or swimming straight down from the surface. If he can see it, he can retrieve it, period. That dog has no limit!

JG358

WKR
Usually by the time your thinking about it is well past time.

I'd agree with that 100%. I know I've put it off longer than I should have in the past. Any more, I just think about the quality of the life of my dogs. Its far easier said than done but I will never let another one of my dogs suffer because I'm to selfish to loose them.

IdahoElk

WKR
I hear you... I don’t think he is there yet, but I’m pretty sure he won’t make spring. Four times before I’ve thought, “I’m going to watch him die. This sucks.” Twice on retrieves where he fell through the ice, once when he ran over a rattler on a retrieve, and once when he started to slide off a giant rock face. All four times he came out unscathed. I keep taking him camping with me hoping that he will die doing what he loves most, but he is stubborn and he keeps holding on. I don’t want to put him down - I’d rather he die like a hunting dog, not a pet. Doesn’t look like that is going to happen though. Fun fact, I taught him to retrieve from the bottom of a 10 foot pool. He can do it from jumping in, or swimming straight down from the surface. If he can see it, he can retrieve it, period. That dog has no limit!

That's pretty neat that he can do that.

I asked my Vet the same question years ago, when to put your dog down. He told me “when they stop being a dog”.

When they are suffering and unable to help themselves (stand, bowel movements, etc), it is time. Buy your boy the best steak they have at the butcher shop and give him the final meal that he deserves. Hold him when he goes and let him know what a good boy he is. I hate it but I would never want my dog to outlive me, wondering where I am.

And tell yourself there are times to show emotion and let yourself be a 10 year old boy again, and losing your dog is one of them. I cannot imagine a life without a good dog.

elkduds

WKR
When you avoid it because of how you feel, in spite of how the dog feels, that's too long. As years and dogs have passed, wife and I find ourselves making this hard choice sooner rather than later. I believe dogs that are bonded to their humans hide discomfort and pain in order to keep their people happy.

CJohnson

WKR
We had to put our great dane down two Christmases ago. In addition to all of the good advice above, I would reiterate, don't wait too long. We did. Instead of it being something that we could plan for, we put off the inevitable too long and waited until she couldn't even squat to use the bathroom. If I could do it again I would've put her down 2 weeks or more sooner than we did.

Azone

WKR
Having to let go of a great dog is a mountain of an obstacle to overcome. When it comes down to it my opinion has always been when a dog can no longer fend for themselves at a reasonable level its time. We all find ways to rationalize the selfishness to keep them alive but as mentioned, its usually well past time when we finally get the end. I've cried harder over a couple of the dogs I've lost in my life than most funerals I've been to. Try to make the right decision for the dog and remember the good times had with them. Sadly the heartache of the last day is the price we pay for all the memories made.