Where are SW Idaho bucks hanging out early season?

OP
silverbullet555
And I have to decide if I go back to the same spot for my last day tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New spot! I honestly think you're doing things right but that area might not hold many deer.

Last edited:
OP
silverbullet555
Back out today. Same result. I stayed in the same area as I dont know twin springs at all. I might drive out there this weekend to get a lay of the land. I'll have a rifle with me and maybe I'll get lucky.

The spot I was in today seemed better. I was across the valley and able to see the hill with sage, bitter brush, willows and another leafy green shrub. Also, I was able to see in a couple secondary draws and down into the bottom of the main drainage. The timber was broken and thinner in a few spots so I was able to see in. On the far side was a burn area as well. Lastly, it was a PITA to get to which usually means good things.

Might get out 1 or 2 more days, but it won't be in unit 39.
5224025b888bf6c83f69844e430e1c02.jpg

If you keep going to places that look "bucky" you will eventually find deer. Every time you go and you don't see deer or what you are looking for you gain another piece to the puzzle. Do this enough times and the picture will start to be much clearer and you will begin to trust yourself and the decisions you make in the field much more. The process of learning and the long awaited rewards from it are the most satisfying in my opinion.

Good luck, and please try to keep a positive mindset. It can be hard, I know, but it's amazing how far it will take you.

OP
silverbullet555
If you keep going to places that look "bucky" you will eventually find deer. Every time you go and you don't see deer or what you are looking for you gain another piece to the puzzle. Do this enough times and the picture will start to be much clearer and you will begin to trust yourself and the decisions you make in the field much more. The process of learning and the long awaited rewards from it are the most satisfying in my opinion.

Good luck, and please try to keep a positive mindset. It can be hard, I know, but it's amazing how far it will take you.
Appreciate that. I'm happy with the experience and disappointed it didn't result in seeing critters at the same time. Ot will be interesting to see the data after the season to see if success rates were down, normal, etc.

I have a ton to learn and this year taught me some lessons. Thinking on how to do it next year and looking forward to opportunities to get better.

I'm still trying to figure out how road hunters are successful at all. I know, even the suns shines on a dogs ass once in a while.

OP
silverbullet555
Oh, and I know what happened.

I bought a new pack, new game bags, a new grinder and a new boning knife; and a host of other stuff. I should've kept borrowing stuff from friends. ;-)