Where do I even start with gear?

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm going to order a pair of meindl perfekt 10" and test them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can get nice discounts on these brands. Some of them close to 20 to 40% MSRP.

Eberlestock
Badlands
Slumber jack
Sierra design
Nemo
Big Agnes
Klymit
Kelty
Optimus
Sawyer
Katadym

Kelty good option for sleeping bags not for hunting packs. For not much more than a good Badlands you can get into an exo pack. Like my klymit pad.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Kelty good option for sleeping bags not for hunting packs. For not much more than a good Badlands you can get into an exo pack. Like my klymit pad.

Kelty was for the tents and sleeping bags not the packs.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelty was for the tents and sleeping bags not the packs.

Ya all around good for the money with kelty. If looking for their tents they make some exclusives for certain stores like sportsman's warehouse and Sam's club that you won't find on Kelty's site. What I like about their tents is the poles break down small so your entire shelter system is in a square instead of a long rectangle.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
And by no means am I limited to the brands on this list, they just have good discounts I can use.

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a kelty ignite 0* down bag for 3 years with good success. I've used it in a pretty wide range of temps (probably 0-40 degrees) and have spent many nights in it. While not the lightest option out there, I would definitely consider it as good budget bag option.

Mtnboy

WKR
If you can get a deal on a Klymit pad, that's what I'd roll with. I have a couple Klymit pads and a couple Big Agnes pads and for the money, the Klymit is a dang good sleeping pad.

Spend about $300 on good boots. Spend $200 on everything else but get it used or mil surplus - sleeping bags, pad, bivys, mess kits, etc. after each trip upgrade the 2-3 things that were the most pain int the ass. Rinse and repeat.

Jimbob

WKR
I would rather spend more money on a pack than boots. I don't need super supportive boots so i am fine with something less. I've used a bunch of different lowas but my cheaper Keens fit best. If you need big mountaineering boots then go for it but I would try some cheaper lightweight hiking boots at home. If they don't work out under a heavy load you can always use some good lightweight hikers so I don't see it as a waste of money.

I went cheap and bought an eberlestock pack and it was a huge mistake. I would watch for a used high end pack and invest in that.

cocky84

WKR
Can't believe nobody has mentioned good rain gear!! Thats #2 right behind good boots. If you get soaked in the backcountry, its pretty dang hard to get dry, nearly impossible if the rain dont quit. Let alone no matter how waterproof your new badass boots are, without good rain gear your feet will be soaked anyways. I bought 3 pair of cheaper raingear sets and got wet in all of em. Bought Kuiu nx and havn't been wet since.

#1 boots
#2 rain gear
#3 good shelter
#4 good pack

cocky84

WKR
For boots I was looking at a pair of meindl from cabelas I think I would like to stay around 300 for boots

Probably the best boot you can get for the money. You can catch em on sale after season for around $220.

CorbLand

WKR
Eberlestock makes great packs especially at a good price. If you can get a discount, I would really look into those. Some of the stuff they are doing with their main frame is awesome and very versatile.

Katadyn/sawyer make great filters. These are a must if your headed for the backcountry. I love my Katadyn Hiker Pro.

Both BA and Kelty make great tents and sleeping bags. I am looking to pick up a Kelty Cosmic next year. Great, lightweight bags.

Gear selection is the hardest part. My one set of advice is don't be concerned with buying the good stuff up front. One year get a good pair of boots. Good boots can make up for a slightly heavier bag. Most people didn't get everything they have all at once, it was bought piece by piece. Randy Newberg has some good videos on what he uses and why on Youtube. Watch those. Podcasts are new to me but I have found a lot of good advice and information from them. Randy Newbergs Hunt Talk podcast and Gritty Bowmen are great.

rbljack

WKR
no expert here, but I would agree on the boots being your number one priority. From there, I don't necessarily agree with the pack being the number 2 priority if you already have something that will work. if not, then yes, Id say pack is number 2. From there, Id say the sleeping bag and pad would be my next priority if its a rifle elk hunt in Idaho. Not being able to keep warm and get a decent nights sleep will break you down almost as fast as crappy boots!! Every foot is different obviously, but for me the Lowa Tibet gave me the support I needed to protect my ankles, and they fit me very well. I also have a very hard time finding boots and shoes that fit right due to my wide foot. I wouldn't normally order boots online, but I got VERY lucky that my Lowa's fit me correctly. Good luck in your choices. I also agree that you should check out the gritty bowman podcasts where Aron Snyder was/is co-host. They go over a lot of gear choices and have provided me with some sound advice so far.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
OP - I am in the same boat as you, planning my first trip for 2018. The pack is the #1 thing on my list right now. I am going to pull the trigger on a Kifaru in the next month or so. Then its on to shelter and sleep system. Probably going to go with a Mountainshelter LT and have a stove jack put in by Bearpaw and run a 12" cylinder in it. I'll be sale/ classifieds stalking for the bag and pad. I don't want to break the bank on those the first time around. I have a spreadsheet going with the cost and weight of every item so I can see where there are potential weight and $ savings pretty easily. Both of those things add up quick!

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
OP - I am in the same boat as you, planning my first trip for 2018. The pack is the #1 thing on my list right now. I am going to pull the trigger on a Kifaru in the next month or so. Then its on to shelter and sleep system. Probably going to go with a Mountainshelter LT and have a stove jack put in by Bearpaw and run a 12" cylinder in it. I'll be sale/ classifieds stalking for the bag and pad. I don't want to break the bank on those the first time around. I have a spreadsheet going with the cost and weight of every item so I can see where there are potential weight and $ savings pretty easily. Both of those things add up quick!

I'm also working on spreadsheet with cost. So far I have picked out a cooking system, water filtration and sleeping pad.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also working on spreadsheet with cost. So far I have picked out a cooking system, water filtration and sleeping pad.

I think I am going to go with a Primus Lite+ and a Platypus 4L gravity system myself. All in with everything including clothes (what I'm wearing and puffy and rain gear in the pack), boots, rifle, food, fuel and a full 100 oz bladder and 32 oz Nalgene I am at 54.4 lbs. My spreadsheet is kind of a mess right now. Once I get it all cleaned up I'll post it so everyone can critique the hell out of it.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my list so far.
0d3c35aeb16bea4181d8f3717ea0a69d.jpg

ChrisS

WKR
If you have funky feet, get good boots. Not meaning expensive, but make sure they fit your feet. Lathrop & sons offers custom boot fitting. They're my next stop after shortening a hunt because my feet were killing me. I have a wide toe box, high arches, and plantar fasciitis. Boots off the shelf feel fine for a couple of miles, but after 5-6 I want to amputate my feet.