Where do I start?

moximouse

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking to pick up archery and eventually archery hunting.

The bow options are fairly overwhelming between gucci matthews bows for 1200-1300 and PSE or diamond bows as a package for 400-500.

From what I’ve read, it’s best to get a bare bow and get a site and rest that I like.

Is a $500 bow high enough quality/capable of reasonable accuracy/reliability? Where should I start?

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Could always look for clearance stuff, my buddy just picked up a v3x for 500 off new.

Edit: $500 CAD

Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking to pick up archery and eventually archery hunting.

The bow options are fairly overwhelming between gucci matthews bows for 1200-1300 and PSE or diamond bows as a package for 400-500.

From what I’ve read, it’s best to get a bare bow and get a site and rest that I like.

Is a $500 bow high enough quality/capable of reasonable accuracy/reliability? Where should I start?

I’d find a shop you guys can go try out a few different bows to see what feels good to you, and what weight you and your wife can reasonably draw back. Each state has draw weight limits for hunting so that will be your goal minimum if hunting.

You’ll find a $500 bow will feel much different than a higher end bow. Will they kill, yes. Some shops will have last years leftover models on sale or they will have consignment bows for sale.

Don’t forget you’ll need a release and arrows. Again a good shop should get you squared away.

After you buy a bow I’d suggest getting a few classes with a coach just to get the basics down, no need to build bad habits from the go.

Good luck it’s lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
The absolute best thing you can do is get lessons from a NFAA coach who hunts.

Flying into Denver and going to RMSGEAR for lessons is a thing and well worth it.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I have decades of bowhunting experience and shoot every day to about 80 yards. My current bow is one I paid $800 for (new; Aug 23) and I thought that was a lot. You do not need a $2K bow. That said, if you get really get into it, maybe some day you want that high-end bow, and nothing wrong with that.

Start with something more affordable, and if you can get good advice on what to buy then used may be a good option. Don't buy used without some very experienced help, however.

A good pro shop is absolutely essential, regardless of bow choice....find one you like and they will help with everything else.

ziqev

FNG
You can usually find last year's Gucci bow on sale when the new ones come out. Or hit up archery talk for used ones.

But for a never shot before setup, like others have said, hit up a shop. Shoot some, find what feels nice. It'll work just fine

Geewhiz

WKR
The absolute best thing you can do is get lessons from a NFAA coach who hunts.

Flying into Denver and going to RMSGEAR for lessons is a thing and well worth it.
Well worth it yes, but far from necessary.

If/when you get squared up for what you need or are looking for ArcheryTalk is your friend. Their classifieds are a great place to find a very nice used bow especially if you are patient. Guys on that site flip bows like crazy.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
If/when you get squared up for what you need or are looking for ArcheryTalk is your friend. Their classifieds are a great place to find a very nice used bow especially if you are patient. Guys on that site flip bows like crazy.
Agreed and they are a bunch of nice guys with a lot of know how.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
My first two bows were second hand, and I didn’t start hunting with a bow until two or three years of shooting consistently. But like others have said, I would find a local shooting club and don’t be afraid to ask questions.

archery club and a good pro shop are very helpful to start. I've had very poor luck buying used bows - IME the cost savings is not worth it compared to the risk, particularly when new old stock bows are available in shops and on ebay.

nphunter

WKR
I'd buy some decent bows, not one-size-fits-all all bows. Find your wife a good women's bow, most brands make them, try to find one with limb stops, light weight and 30-40lb limbs, light limbs make them more fun to shoot and are plenty to hunt with.

Beendare

WKR
I agree with Mountain Tracker.

Starting, You don’t know your Draw length, good alignment and technique. You need a mini lesson just so they can outfit you properly.

A good shop will start with all of that first…they have to for them to set up the bow properly.

rclouse79

WKR
One feature I like is the rollers for the cable guard. I have had entry level bows with the slide, and it chewed through cables.