Where is the Ammo Really Going?

EastMT

WKR
I'm definitely not shooting. I've been holding on to the same 2 boxes of 200 grain accubonds for a while now. I'm not going to load those until I can find replacements.

My buddy got out of reloading last spring, sold me all his Nosler bullets, brass, powder. I stocked up on .30 cal AB and PT by the thousands. A lot of them were the 2nd’s from SPS, 500 bulk. Perfect for me, I don’t shoot long range. Timing was extremely lucky! I’ll probably never buy another bullet!

I think the idea that there's 10 other companies the size of federal producing ammo is a but much. If federal is producing 1m a day, be lucky if it's 5m a day total.

Remington shutting down had a huge effect as that cut primer production.

I think it's likely 2.5m rounds produced a day.

CO-AJ

WKR
i love shooting my 6mm Creed and I have trouble finding that on the shelf. So I think people just started buying any kind they could get their hands on, last I checked 6mm Creedmoor is only popular with us long range precision guys. As for the common stuff, I am seeing some of that hit shelves outside of big box stores. Cabela's near me doesnt even have an ammo section anymore.

i love shooting my 6mm Creed and I have trouble finding that on the shelf. So I think people just started buying any kind they could get their hands on, last I checked 6mm Creedmoor is only popular with us long range precision guys. As for the common stuff, I am seeing some of that hit shelves outside of big box stores. Cabela's near me doesnt even have an ammo section anymore.
my cabelas does not have an ammo section, either. just a section for reloading components

I think the idea that there's 10 other companies the size of federal producing ammo is a but much. If federal is producing 1m a day, be lucky if it's 5m a day total.

Remington shutting down had a huge effect as that cut primer production.

I think it's likely 2.5m rounds produced a day.
Agreed. I was being very generous with the numbers.

EastMT

WKR
I know a guy with a net worth we’ll into the mid 8 figures, who at the 2008/2012 election hoarded like you wouldn’t believe. I’m talking pallets of ammo. A 4x4x4 pallet of 45-70, I don’t know if the Buffalo need wipes out again or what on that one.

Larger pallet loads for the little 5.7x28, 308, 223, 30-06, you name it he was stacking it by the amount of my annual salary monthly. Pretty sure he has several million rounds at this point, He’s about 70, shoots maybe 1000 rounds a year.

I know of a dentist that buys the same way, still doing it now. He has some connection somewhere, truckloads coming in. Money talks I guess. Call up and offer big money, grease the skids a little.

Am I missing something? Who is the OP implying is buying all the ammo?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Not sure about the OP, but according to this thread, it's the mouth breathing middle aged white retired knuckledragging Ruger American shooting retards hoarding it in Mason jars in their basement.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I'm really good friends with the guys at my local gun shop which is a pretty busy operation. My buddy said there are a few guys that show up to his shop nearly daily and buy whatever he gets in. He's tired of selling it to him and wishes they would stop selling to him but so far...hasn't happened.

I suspect this is pretty wide spread country wide and paranoia runs rampant in the minds of a lot of people.

Pretty sad and frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
How many rounds does the government buy?

I am sure they are plenty of guys who buy it for it to sit in their basement, which is silly to me.
I can tell you my agency has used nothing nearly close to what it normally uses. We only did range a few times in the last year. I would estimate 15% of normal.

Marble

WKR
Here's a thought...was there a conspiracy to buy up all the toilet paper when Covid hit?

MattB

WKR
Not sure about the OP, but according to this thread, it's the mouth breathing middle aged white retired knuckledragging Ruger American shooting retards hoarding it in Mason jars in their basement.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Hey man, nobody suggested that they were putting it in their basements.