Which 15x56 or 16x56 has good contrast and image brightness?

Here is the list of 15x and 16x I'm interested in and can anyone tell me from best to worst which one has the better brightness and contrast?
Hoping some of you have had a few of these to really compare! Right now not interested in Meopta, Zeiss or Swarovski

Nikon M5 16x56
Athlon Cronus 15x56
Maven B.6 15x56
BX-5 Santaniam 15x56

mcseal2

WKR
I understand you aren't looking at the higher priced ones, but I'll offer this advice anyway. I went down that road with Vortex, Minox, and ended up spending more than I would have if I'd just bought the Swaro 15x56's initially. I have found that high magnification binoculars show the difference in price/quality more than any other type of optic I've used.

Anyway, that's what worked for my eyes when I went down this road several years ago. Maven didn't exist yet then, and most of those others probably weren't out yet. You may find something different, but I wouldn't bet on it from my experience. I'd use the good 8-12x's I'd use for handheld glassing as well with a tripod until I could afford great 15's

I have looked through a buddy's Leupold BX-5 15's and they were not comparable to my Swaros. Leupold treated him awesome though, he had discontinued gold ring switch power binos I think were 10-17x. They crapped out on him and he sent them in. Leupold sent him back a set of the BX-5 15's and a set of their good 10x42's as well. Great customer service!

OP
B
I understand you aren't looking at the higher priced ones, but I'll offer this advice anyway. I went down that road with Vortex, Minox, and ended up spending more than I would have if I'd just bought the Swaro 15x56's initially. I have found that high magnification binoculars show the difference in price/quality more than any other type of optic I've used.

Anyway, that's what worked for my eyes when I went down this road several years ago. Maven didn't exist yet then, and most of those others probably weren't out yet. You may find something different, but I wouldn't bet on it from my experience. I'd use the good 8-12x's I'd use for handheld glassing as well with a tripod until I could afford great 15's

I have looked through a buddy's Leupold BX-5 15's and they were not comparable to my Swaros. Leupold treated him awesome though, he had discontinued gold ring switch power binos I think were 10-17x. They crapped out on him and he sent them in. Leupold sent him back a set of the BX-5 15's and a set of their good 10x42's as well. Great customer service!

I know exactly what you're saying as the higher the magnification the higher the letdown if the optics are not perfect! I have a Monarch 5 16x56 and I really love it for it's form factor and decent optics but that being said the images are a little dull and washed out and I know I can do better without breaking the bank.

Swaros of course would be the best but I'm just not overly keen on how they look. Yes, a little shallow of me, but having a binocular that's also nice to look at to me is a bonus as I carry it around always on my walks. Don't get me wrong as this is just personal taste and my wife thinks Swaros are the best looking binoculars on the planet bar none.

I'm hoping maybe Maven could possibly be close enough to the Swaro that if I never looked through a Swaro that I wouldn't miss it but I have never looked through a Maven either.

Pdzoller

WKR
I’ve used all the optics mentioned except the Athlon’s. I have looked through Swaro’s and Zeiss as well. I own the BX-5’s and have no complaints.

If we were talking spotters or rifle scopes I would recommend top of the line but I personally don’t see paying that much for the negligible difference I have seen in the binoculars.

Maven or Leupold would be my suggestion from your list.

OP
B
Thanks Pdzoller. Compared to the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56, would you say the image contrast and brightness is a significant step up with the Maven and Leupold or is it just a little better in your opinion?

Pdzoller

WKR
Thanks Pdzoller. Compared to the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56, would you say the image contrast and brightness is a significant step up with the Maven and Leupold or is it just a little better in your opinion?
For my eyes I’d say better but I don’t think I can say significantly better. As for the overall package and feel, I really prefer the Maven and Leupold. I would recommend heading to some local sporting goods stores and trying them out. Try to get at an angle where you can look through the glass entry doors and out into the parking lot. If they’ll let you put them on a tripod, even better. I’ve noticed that is how I can see the biggest difference between optics without being able to actually test them while hunting.

I’d bet if you got a set of the Maven demo optics you wouldn’t return them.

OP
B
OK sounds good thanks. There is a store about an hour away that has the Leupolds for starters and see how I feel about them.

Between those I’d buy the mavens and BX5’s second. I just would never pay what the Leupolds cost new because they’re simply not worth it. If you can get a used pair for $750-$800 they’re a good buy, but beyond that no.

Personally I’d spend a few hundred more and get some used SLC HD’s. They’re the best 15’s money can buy.

intunegp

WKR
I don't have experience with any of the others but I have been extremely satisfied with my Maven 15x56s

OP
B
Looks like either Maven or SLC! I'm leaning towards Maven because I need a few extra $$ in my pocket and I like that the colors pop a little more with them.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
After having owned both maven 18s and slc 15s, i can say that IMO they are not even in the same ballpark. I originally bought the mavens thinking they were almost as good for much less money, but when i bought slcs it became apparent that at least for me the swaros are head and shoulders above the mavens. Not to drag on the mavens because i still think they are very good glass but the swaros are just better all around to me.
Just my two cents…

OP
B
Thanks Bullblaster, I should get the message by now as enough people have said the slcs are the best. I was reading the warranty is non transferable with the swaros but I really don't want to buy a new one so a little tricky for me as I don't want to pay so many $$$ for a binocular yet.

Thanks Bullblaster, I should get the message by now as enough people have said the slcs are the best. I was reading the warranty is non transferable with the swaros but I really don't want to buy a new one so a little tricky for me as I don't want to pay so many $$$ for a binocular yet.

The warranty is absolutely transferable even if it’s been registered.

OP
B
Fine print says

"The warranty is only valid if a warranty/service document correctly
dated, signed, and stamped by the authorized dealer or an invoice for
the purchase of the instrument can be presented. Instruments without this
warranty/service document or proof of purchase will be repaired at the
customer’s expense"

also says

"The warranty does not cover direct or indirect damage caused
by defects in the instrument."

I hate play on words, been through that before one with the one time I made a
warranty claim on a product.

Call SONA and they will tell you it’s transferrable. I bought some old SLC 8x30 WB’s cheap that were in desperate need of repair and service and sent them in and they fixed all kinds of stuff for me and didn’t charge me a thing. Swaro treats their customers very well.