Which 15x56 or 16x56 has good contrast and image brightness?

OP
B
OK, I just emailed them to see. Asked them if I buy a used SLC 15x56 from a US seller shipped to me in Canada if it would be covered under warranty if it is faulty as I would have no original papers.

OP
B
Call SONA and they will tell you it’s transferrable. I bought some old SLC 8x30 WB’s cheap that were in desperate need of repair and service and sent them in and they fixed all kinds of stuff for me and didn’t charge me a thing. Swaro treats their customers very well.
Below is the SONA reply:

"If buying from a third party in the US, make sure the product is unregistered by the owner before making the purchase. Once the product is registered under your account the warranty will follow the product."

I think in some circumstances that could be difficult to do if the binocular passed more than one buyer.

Here's the deal jack:

Pay a little extra for the Mavens as a demo. You like them you keep them. If not they go back.

Buy the Swaros from Bass Profit.

Test them side by side. Keep the ones you think give you the best bang for the buck.

OP
B
Great idea but I live in Canada and not so easy! I contacted Maven if they would consider opening a demo program in Canada but they said they don't have any plans to do so. If I use their demo program and decide to send them back, I'm out about $500 cad in shipping fees and taxes. You guys are pretty lucky down there with so many available options that we can only dream of.

You’ll find that most people don’t register the warranty so just ask. You can also ask for the SN and call Swarovski and ask if they e been registered.

There’s also an eBay dealer in Canada that sells grey market to the US and the prices are very good, I bet you can buy through them too and if you’re both in Canada there should be no issue.

I would buy the swaros even if there was no warranty and any repairs were out of pocket because they’re that much better.

You’ll find that most people don’t register the warranty so just ask. You can also ask for the SN and call Swarovski and ask if they e been registered.

There’s also an eBay dealer in Canada that sells grey market to the US and the prices are very good, I bet you can buy through them too and if you’re both in Canada there should be no issue.

I would buy the swaros even if there was no warranty and any repairs were out of pocket because they’re that much better.

I don't think many say that. Swaro only makes 15's in their shittiest trim - SLCs. From everything I saw, they were marginally better in certain regards and not in all.

If Swaro made ELs or NLs that would be a different discussion.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Bullblaster, I should get the message by now as enough people have said the slcs are the best. I was reading the warranty is non transferable with the swaros but I really don't want to buy a new one so a little tricky for me as I don't want to pay so many $$$ for a binocular yet.
If the mavens are what your budget allows, they are great glass. I didnt have many complaints with mine, just the narrow depth of focus and bit of eye fatigue.
I just did well saving my money this summer and decided to upgrade to swaros, and the differende became very apparent as soon as i put the swaros on a tripod. Just better any way you look at it. I can sit for hours in the swaros with no fatigue.

I do think the mavens are good and plenty serviceable and a value for the price. But they just cant compare to the swaros…. Swaros are substanitally more money though.

I don't think many say that. Swaro only makes 15's in their shittiest trim - SLCs. From everything I saw, they were marginally better in certain regards and not in all.

If Swaro made ELs or NLs that would be a different discussion.

There is nothing shitty about SLC’s and SLC’s aren’t even their lower end line. I’ve owned all of them and the SLC’s don’t give up anything.

SLC’s are the best 15x binos money can buy. Period.

OP
B
I ended up getting the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56 new for $509 usd taxes in at my door and couldn't be happier. I'm sure the others are better in some way, but these are so good that if I never look through a swaro I can't imagine ever wanting one.

I've looked through the Nikons right until before it gets dark and they are totally fine and clear. It takes a little time to get used to the focus wheel, but now at any distance anywhere the focus snaps into place right away. They are even better when using them to observe the moon and stars, no complaints about anything. Also really like the compact form factor of these.

Am curious about those using the non-SLCs...

Are you able to stay in them from dawn to dusk, outside of toilet breaks, without eye strain or head aches?

OP
B
I understand you aren't looking at the higher priced ones, but I'll offer this advice anyway. I went down that road with Vortex, Minox, and ended up spending more than I would have if I'd just bought the Swaro 15x56's initially. I have found that high magnification binoculars show the difference in price/quality more than any other type of optic I've used.

Anyway, that's what worked for my eyes when I went down this road several years ago. Maven didn't exist yet then, and most of those others probably weren't out yet. You may find something different, but I wouldn't bet on it from my experience. I'd use the good 8-12x's I'd use for handheld glassing as well with a tripod until I could afford great 15's

I have looked through a buddy's Leupold BX-5 15's and they were not comparable to my Swaros. Leupold treated him awesome though, he had discontinued gold ring switch power binos I think were 10-17x. They crapped out on him and he sent them in. Leupold sent him back a set of the BX-5 15's and a set of their good 10x42's as well. Great customer service!

I finally settled on the Nikon 16x56 and to my surprise it's an amazing binocular that is very sharp and crisp edge to edge. This got me thinking into trying out the Athon Cronus 15x56 as well to compare which I did today and the Cronus doesn't even come close to the Nikon. Edge blurriness is very pronounced on the cronus and starts around 60% outward from center and deteriorates rapidly.

After having owned both maven 18s and slc 15s, i can say that IMO they are not even in the same ballpark. I originally bought the mavens thinking they were almost as good for much less money, but when i bought slcs it became apparent that at least for me the swaros are head and shoulders above the mavens. Not to drag on the mavens because i still think they are very good glass but the swaros are just better all around to me.
Just my two cents…
I’ve played with both The 15x & 18x Mavens and although they are the same design the 15x is clearly the sharper glass. More magnification is not always better as everything is magnified including all minor aberrations/imperfections, and they are not as bright. Overall I like the 15x B5 and consider it a very sharp glass.

Also have a 56mm SLC but mine is a 10x. It is a fine binocular, very sharp and bright. In 15x, I have faith that the view will be marginally better than the Maven (which punches above its weight). But since It is in a whole different price class it‘s the age old question of whether the performance jump is worth the difference in price.

However, the Maven B5 15x56 are easily the best performer compared to the others on the OPs original list.