Which 6mm cartridge!?

I've actually been thinking about building a coyote gun chambered in 6 Dasher. Super easy to tune a load for, and a 1:8 twist should shoot 100gr bullets no problem. The only drawback would be there's no commercial ammo for it, so handloads only.

Following -
just bought my wife a Christensen arms Mesa FFT in 6mm CM.
Just broke barrel in and ordered an APA micro bastard - now time to test some ammo.

Brian77

FNG
We have 243 for all the children. But the 6cm is so intriguing to me. My last 2 coyotes were at 532 and 567 yards in SD. I wonder if 6cm would be a little more forgiving at that range?

Riflman

FNG
I started my 6mm journey in the early 90's with a 6mm Remington (Ruger M77 HB), and used it for F-Class out to 1200 yards. That rifle was blueprinted, pillar bedded, barrel changed out to a 30" 1:8" twist HB chambered in 243 Ackley, a Vais brake, with a Timney trigger at 1.5 ounces and a single shot follower. When I quit shooting F-Class, I had it rechambered to standard 243 Win so it would feed better.

I also had an ultralight model 7 in 6mm Rem for coyotes. I had that blueprinted and a pinned badger ordinance recoil lug installed, pillar bedded it, and had the smith install a 1:8" twist, 27" lilja #1 barrel chambered in 6mm BR and a vais brake. That rifle shot one hole-ers.

I sent it to a smith to fix some feeding issues and it ended up getting rechambered by mistake to 6mm Creedmoor. I was quite upset, so the smith offered to replace it with a fast twit fluted 6mm barrel he had, but it was heavy barrel. It was an ultralight rifle! He cut the shank as short as possible and lopped what he could off the end before the flutes. I decided just to go 243 Win to match the other rifle. He sent the rifle and both barrels, but I hated it and have never shot it!

I ended up putting the creedmoor barrel back on and just started using it again. So far so good. So now it's a switch barrel 6mm creedmoor/243 Win and they can be changed in a couple of minutes with actions wrench and barrel vise. But I will likely never shoot out the 6mm creedmoor. It had maybe 200 rounds through it before getting rechambered and I just started shooting it is a creed.

Now they have the 6mm Arc and since the military adopted it, I'm seriously considering that. Plus Hornady makes factory match ammo for $27 in a pinch. I love the devastation of the fast 6mms, but I'm looking at building a 6mm ARC in an AR platform.

So I have had a quit a long love affair with the 6mm cartridges and have used and loaded for many of them, from competition to critters.

Last edited:

jfvhpilot

FNG
I second the 6mm arc. It has low recoil, and if you reload, it is miserly on powder. Maybe 3-4 grains more than a .223, but packs much more of a punch for hunting larger animals.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6 BR and I love it but if I were to do it again I'd step up to either the Dasher, 6×47, or even the Creed. That being said I am about 500 rounds deep in to this BR barrel and there isn't even a touch if throat wear. This barrel is going to last a really long time.

ZHY

FNG
A 6 ARC throated for the bullet of your choice is worth a look. Don’t overlook the Sierra 60gr HP fo coyotes.

Byrdman

FNG
I’ve been shooting a 1:10 twist tc venture in 243 for a number of years. It shoots anything from the lightest 55gr up to 100gr quite well. Just have to watch the longer high bc bullets in the 90-100gr range for stability. A 1:9 twist would work much better for that without over spinning the light bullets