Which blowup pillow ???

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok over the last 20 plus year I'v run a few diff bags and pads.. The last few years I'v been using the Big Agnes Mystic sl bag and their Insulated air core pad and have slept great. For a pillow I just stuffed some clothes in the pillow sack.. How I'm thinking for getting a blowup pillow.. "But" which one??? Trying to not wake up with a sore neck, which I do at times .. The pillows I've been looking at run from 1 to 3 oz.. So which pillows do you like and why??? Ed

colonel00

WKR
Well, it's not specifically a pillow but I plan to use an Exped Schnozzel. It is really light and has multiple uses as a pump bag for air mattresses, a dry sack and a pillow. While it doesn't have a lot of structure, I have found that if I stuff it with my puffy and a few other soft clothes and then get a good bit of the air out, it still has good volume without wanting to pop out from under my head like a balloon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...p3BolY6_gecMuIsbQ&sig2=iSOmFhT9c_KbPdiLEoWHQQ

Rucker61

WKR
I have the NeoAir pillow. It sucks. Slick as owl shit and stays under my head for about 5 seconds at a time. If anyone near to FTC/NoCo wants it, they can have it.

7mag.

WKR
I have only used one, but I have the Exped Air Pillow medium, and I really like it. It is contoured for you neck, and it has a high side and a low side so you are always comfortable. Packs down very small, and is only a few ounces.

ScottP

WKR
I have big agnes q-core pillow. Very tricky to get it to stay in place, unless you stuff it in the hood of your bag, but then you cant close up the hood. I use a quilt for hunting so this is no good. I've tried to use a vest and 'zip' it to the top of the pad, which sort of works if I use my pack or the back of the tent to keep if from leaving that way. Guess I could try velcro tape or something. Anybody have suggestions?

I've had much better luck with my thermarest pillow comfort-wise, but its 20x the volume in the pack, despite its relative light weight.

On my hike out this morning I was thinking about this very topic. I use a Cocoon and do not like it for warm weather. Last night I could not put my head on it for 10 min without the side of my head being covered in sweat. Other than that it is fine. I think any blow up would give me the same problem as they all have that non breathable material. I need to find something else for these warm nights.

Exped UL air pillow. I usually wrap it in a spare piece of clothing. I'm a side sleeper, and not a fan of that plastic material on my face. No complaints, gets the job done.

Jdog

WKR
I still use a Thermarest compressible--that thing is made for my WM bag!

Lights out bro.

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I see a lot of you use the cocoon. So looked them up and see they have 3 versions of the same pillow by weight. Whats everyone using? ?

Last edited:

Mtnboy

WKR
Hyperlight here

Had it for 3-4 years. Quite a few nights in the backcountry and countless car rides of keeping my wife's head from bouncing off the windows. Seems to be pretty durable.

I have used the cacoon one and exped snozzel and I think I just hate inflatable pillows. I use the down pillow from thermarest that has draw strings on it. I stuff my puffy under the down pillow and it's better than any inflatable I've tried by a huge margin

TJ

WKR
I have used the Exped air pillow for a couple years.

After having gone through the jacket, stuff sack clothes, etc routine I don't regret getting this pillow at all.

littlebuf

Banned
I have the NeoAir pillow. It sucks. Slick as owl shit and stays under my head for about 5 seconds at a time. If anyone near to FTC/NoCo wants it, they can have it.

have one too and i love it. but your right about it sliding all over. i too use to do the stuffed clothes thing for a pillow but i need more support or my neck kills me. so i wrap my puffy or extra thermal around the neo air and it stays in place. plus gives me a soft pillow case with support for my neck. but yeah all on its own theres almost no point.

I just use the pullout my extra clothes are in. add/remove clothes to adj thickness.
I also fold & add my 1/4 zip fleece pullover to soften the top layer.
And I can move it around in the night as I roll and it seems to stay put.
Works great and zero added weight.

I will say though, the silnylon material of my pullouts condensate a tad on the face from body moisture. Maybe I'll try making one w/ a fleece outer layer.
Hunt'nFish

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use a flannel pouch to stuff my extra clothes or puffy clothes in. Just more comfy than the inflatable jobbers I've tried in the past. Less than 2 oz and yes its worth the weight IMO.