Which cleaner for break in

Which copper cleaner, bore cleaner are you guys using to clean in between each shot for barrel break in?

how is boretech eliminator?
Thanks

Bore tech Eliminator is what I use. But don't waste your time with shoot/clean/shoot/clean. If a new rifle, run a wet patch then a few dry patches down the bore (use a bore guide) to get packing grease etc out. Then go shoot, and shoot some more. I used to do the shoot/clean/shoot/clean etc...what a waste of time that was. There is a great thread on that on another site (I won't mention it but that thread can't Hide from a Sniper).

rootacres

WKR
I use Butches Bore shine for everything. Started using it for my muzzle loading when a custom muzzleloader smith told me it was the best. Ive used it on all barrel break in since. Seems to work great. It smells awful so try not to use it in small confined spaces.

I use Shooters choice. I shoot, clean, shoot for 5, then 3 shot groups, clean for another 15 or so. Then it’s off to the races cleaning when it says so, or I feel like it. After 50 to 100 or so I go back and shoot and clean testing where it puts the first round on a cold, clean, lightly oiled barrel, and a cold fouled, lightly oiled barrel.
Due to I hunt on a lightly oiled bore, either clean or fouled, so need to know where those rounds go.

Can be expensive to find that out. Might need a barrel to correct it. Or if your lucky just a bullet change.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have some barnes copper remover and some foaming bore cleaner stuff. I’ve never. Other Ed with that shoot-clean-shoot-clean thing, always seemed pointless to me and I can’t say I’ve ever regretted not doing it.

I followed the Browning break in procedure and used Butch's bore shine. Been using it for years and yes use in a well ventilated area!

Not sure if the break in is required but I use it as time to get a feel for the rifle and trigger.

SDHNTR

WKR
I use boretech eliminator. And I follow the barrel manufacturers suggested break in procedure.

rayporter

WKR
good morning, here is to a an end to winter.

you will always stir up the masses with a barrel cleaning topic. when you only get a new barrel every couple of years you dont get a lot of experience cleaning new barrels. i usually get one new barrel a year and i like to take care of it. this year the count is up to seven new barrels and i want them to last.

i clean and clean a lot. your solvent of choice is not as important as your choice of rods and your technique. get 2 rods and make you life easier. stainless or coated wont matter much. just wipe the rod often, as in every time it comes out of the bore guide.

yes you can read that a lot of barrels are damaged by cleaning but if you take care that wont happen to you. dont bend the rod, push it straight into the bore guide and as you work the rod keep it in line with the bore.

as you fire a shot and clean it you will see the copper and after a few more pairs of shots you will see the copper stop just like magic. i have personally talked to some of the greatest shooters in the world that dont believe it does any good to go through this routine. how ever they go thought 6 to 10 barrels a year on one gun and if a barrel is bad at fouling they get out another. if you have one barrel, what is it going to hurt to put a little extra TLC on your new jewel?

good luck

SDHNTR

WKR
I use boretech eliminator. And I follow the barrel manufacturers suggested break in procedure.

wgood

FNG
I’m a big fan of wipe-out with accelerator. That said, I’ve had a couple rifles that I could mine the copper out of the barrel, and I used wipe-out followed by Sweets 7.62 until it was clean. On one, a .300 Weatherby, I had to use JB Bore paste to get it all out. Once the copper was removed it was a 3/4 inch rifle, before that it would pattern 4 inch groups at 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I use Foaming Bore Cleaner (Hoppes, Gunslick, Outers, they are all exactly the same) However I do not clean between each shot.

If I have a brand new barrel/gun and finding a load (factory) that shoots well. I basically just shoot 5 round groups of 3, 4, 5 different loads. Clean once I'm done shooting each load once. eliminate any obvious bad candidates and then just run the rifle after that and pick the load after a few more groups.

I don't clean clean the barrel again until accuracy suffers.