Which Direction for New Rifle Build

dotman

WKR
I went down the "cut this, restock that, retube this, work up this bullet and that" rabbit hole and it ain't for me. Hats off to the fella with the time and patience to monkey with it all. I shoulda gone Kimber a long time ago.

Live and learn.

I started out with kimber, wish I hadn't as I sold at a loss. Wish I had just built a custom to start with.

dotman

WKR
Buy a Tikka in 7mm, put on the Vortex Razor HD LH and go shoot chit with a smile on your face knowing you saved money and headaches.

Vortex just isn't that great and too heavy, the swaro z3 is better all around.

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Anyone with a 300 WM or 7 RM have trouble loading rounds to the rifle's liking and still fitting under mag length? From the threads I've been searching through it seems like mag length will necessitate at least a .060 jump if not more. Only asking as my local SW has an original T3 SS lite on sale for 600. If I ordered one in 270 WSM it would be the new T3x and be about $150 more. Also thinking that for what I want to do, the 270 would be plenty, and better recoil.

I re-read a few blog posts of Robby's and I'm basically looking to build a rifle with the same criteria as him, but elk are on my menu as well, not just Mule Deer. That being said I've got more than a few elk that didn't really like my 270 WSM Ruger. Decisions decisions

Thanks again for all the inputs everyone, especially for pointing out the price and weight of the Swaro Dotman!

16Bore

WKR
Plenty of room to kiss 162 Amax in a R700 7Mag box. 8# 1oz as you see it. XCRII McMillan classic, LW's, 6x42, M1.

TeaGull

FNG
Anyone with a 300 WM or 7 RM have trouble loading rounds to the rifle's liking and still fitting under mag length? From the threads I've been searching through it seems like mag length will necessitate at least a .060 jump if not more. Only asking as my local SW has an original T3 SS lite on sale for 600. If I ordered one in 270 WSM it would be the new T3x and be about $150 more. Also thinking that for what I want to do, the 270 would be plenty, and better recoil.

I re-read a few blog posts of Robby's and I'm basically looking to build a rifle with the same criteria as him, but elk are on my menu as well, not just Mule Deer. That being said I've got more than a few elk that didn't really like my 270 WSM Ruger. Decisions decisions

Thanks again for all the inputs everyone, especially for pointing out the price and weight of the Swaro Dotman!

Shoot Barnes bullets at .050 off or further. 150g TSX are basically loaded to mag length and shoots well under 1 MOA. The Mono bullets like jump anyway.

16Bore

WKR
Every Barnes I've ever loaded has been seated to the front of the first driving band and is money. 260, 270, 7-08, 30-06, 338, 375. I eyeball the first one, then write down the COAL and that's where it stays.

They like the hot side of things too.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I'd take the R700 in 30-06 put a McMillan edge stock, talley lightweight rings and a Leupold vx2 3-9 on it. Probably sub 7.5lbs after it's all done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk