which Kuiu gloves?

Luked

WKR
need a good pair of warm gloves that are not so stinking bulky they are hard to maneuver in. what gloves do you guys suggest from Kuiu

LJ Buck

WKR
I have all the KUIU gloves and dont think any of them are anything special. I do like the Puffy Gloves they make they are warm and perfect for glassing when cold.

FreeRange

WKR
I wear the guide gloves, with a thin liner they're fine for me waterfowl hunting, digging shells and calls out of pockets, loading the gun, shooting etc, in frigid cold. I'll say I really don't like any gloves and can imagine there's better camo gloves out there but I got em cheap and til these wear out I'm fine with them. I don't wear camo gloves unless I'm waterfowl hunting anyways and have other gloves for rifle and bow season.

My issue with the Guide gloves is the way the leather palm/fingers/fingertips is sewn into the rest of the material creates some bulk and reduces how much feel you get through the fingers of the glove, from the looks of the new kenai glove they improved on this by bringing that seam to the back of the trigger finger. I'd suggest that glove over the guide on that basis alone.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to check out the new Northstar gloves. These gloves are as advertised water proof and for me they are good for temps into the low 30's, after that I needed to move or add some handwarmers. The key I found to keep water out was to make sure the water did not run down the jacket and into the glove.

IdahoElk

WKR
If it's really cold where you are you might want to use the merino gloves as a liner,I've had them all except the Northstar and I agree with LJ Buck but I do really like the merinos for Elk season.

JPD350

WKR
I used the Kenai gloves this year in Alaska and was happy with them, my hands stayed dry with snow and freezing rain for 4 days straight. For the most part they were plenty warm but when temps dropped I had to put a hand warmer inside each glove.

I bet if I used a merino liner I would not have needed hand warmer packs, I will have the liners for my January hunt!

I used the Kenai gloves in Alaska this year and they kept me warm. However, I wish I had brought my Northstar gloves instead because it rained so much (all but 2 days). Mine got wet because they are shorter than the Northstar and I had problems keeping my jacket sleeves over the ends of the Kenai gloves and water seeped in from the sleeves.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I love all my Kuiu gear but my least favorite item from them is the pair of Guide gloves. I wouldn't buy them again because even with a liner they don't fit very well.

gmajor

WKR
Just got the northstar gloves in, size medium. First thoughts: they really are impressive, but they seem to be sized for ET. I got the mediums, and I could wear the large with my hand width, but the fingers are like .5 to .75 inch too long. Really a shame, these things look awesome and have good insulation. Heard the out-dry is good stuff as well.

wyosteve

WKR
Just thought I'd throw this out to give an idea of why a manufacturer must go nuts! As gmajor said, his don't fit his hands like he'd want, but I just got my Northstars in XL and they fit perfectly. With hand sizes and shapes like snowflakes (no 2 alike!), there will never be a 'one size fits all' glove. Best suggestion is to try a few and see what works best for you. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but very impressed with the quality and fit. I also have 3 different pair of Sitka and like them as well.

Stresd

FNG
I Used the Kenai's on one sheep hunt and found them very durable and dry. They were excellent for warmth until we got below zero. Was so pleased with the kenai gloves performance that I picked up the warmer Northstars when I got home. The Kenai's are not bulky when wearing and the Northstars seem to be no bulkier. Love the extra length above the wrist.

jfs82

WKR
Anyone have experience with the attack gloves?
I have attacks, I like em plenty but never used them below about 35. I was perfectly comfortable in the thirties with them though (hiking but not real high energy output looking for turkeys). I would say I took them off in the fifties getting too warm. I run pretty hot in general.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I like almost all of their gear, have more of their clothing than any other line. But the gloves-wow I couldn’t believe how crappy they were as far as keeping my hands warm.
I’d go with OR

I just tried out the Strongfleece 220 and the Axis gloves on a Kodiak Mountain Goat hunt and they both performed poorly. My hands froze in them and my hands rarely get cold. I ended up wearing my unlined leather gloves the majority of the time which kept my hands warm. I also used my old pair of Sitka liners that never fail me as well.

The touch pad material on the fingers made them extremely cold. I might use them for driving my truck but that’s about it.

I was extremely disappointed as I’ve had great luck with other Kuiu products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk