Which optic for glassing

FWIW, I just spent a week out in NorCal hunting them at about that distance most days. My buddy had a 12x Swaro El Range and a 15x Swaro SLC. I was running a 15-45 Kowa spotter but quickly realized that it wasn’t needed, so my buddy and I just swapped around his binos.

We used tripods and though the 12x were adequate, the 15x were definitely better. Given with uncanny ability for black tail to camouflage in brush/deadfall, the 15x were more effective for picking them out.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Meopta Meostar B1.1 15x56.

My personal comparison between my Swaro SLC 15x56 vs my Meopta 15x56…

Up close image and general “clarity” as peoples eyes normally see it, has a very slight edge to Swaro.

Longer distance glassing the meoptas are clearer to my eyes. They also handle the chromatic aberration much better than the swaros which my eyes are susceptible to. Mid to long range edge to edge clarity favors the meoptas.

To me the swaros give a “cool” color tone to everything when comparing to my natural vision. Everything is “greener and bluer” than what my naked eyes see. The meoptas are a hair “warmer” which matches what my naked eyes see when comparing colors.

The swaros are more ergonomic, and the eye cups are a bit nicer. Especially if you wear glasses. My 15s are on a tripod 99% of the time so the ergonomics don’t mean much to me with 15s. The swaros are a bit lighter too in the pack but not super noticeable.

Meoptas are more rugged and have a better mainframe coating.

Overall they are both fantastic glass and I’d be happy using either in the field all day. For me personally the Meopta wins out on a couple categories that are most important to me (long distance clarity and CA).

Chad717

FNG
Which would optic setup would you for glassing blacktails at 800-1000 yards between Swaro 15x56HDs or Swaro 12x42 NLs on tripod?
Don’t you love when you ask a question people answer it with something that you were not asking about… I just got the 12 x 42 NLs, I have had the 15+56 and 10 els for years and just upgraded to the NLs. The NL‘s are unbelievable and on a different level than anything I have looked through but that being said I still prefer the 15 power on a tripod so I was almost thinking about selling or trading them for 10 power. If I was going to just own one the 12 is great and will work good.

OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
Yes the NLs are next level for sure especially on a tripod. I am leaning towards taking them over my 15x56s as i will also have my spotter with me. But the 15’s also have their advantages. Sometimes having too many options is more trouble than what it’s worth. Where and how I hunt is all spot and stalk so glassing is critical.

Go with the 12x pures
Years ago, when I bought my first set of alpha glass I got 15x Swaro no tripod, then upgraded and bought a tripod. Ran 15s and a tripod for a long time, then picked up 12x el and never looked back.
15x are heavy, and when you aren't using a tripod they are difficult to use well unless you really figure out how to hand hold them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 15s. I don’t pack a spotting scope anymore. Nls are awesome I only have 10x42 can’t speak to 12 power personally I like glass that doesn’t require tripod in my harness and 15s in my pack

JNDEER

WKR
12’s at that distance.

The 15x IMO will limit the FOV to catch that big buck twitching in the brush.

PNWHanson

FNG
Depending on where you are going I would go with 12s or smaller so you can glass when hunting timber

For Blacktail glassing, I think the 12x NL are the absolute perfect optic, between the crazy edge to edge clarity and increased FOV, I just don’t think there is a more versatile blacktail bino… if I thought there was a better option, I’d own it, but I prefer the 12x NL over anything I’ve used, and 99% of my glassing is on a tripod

I don’t think you’re really glassing for blacktail hand holding any bino unless you are still hunting big timber or hurrying through a big fresh clear cut on your way to a spot to set up and glass

Obviously many ways to skin a cat, but I like sitting behind good glass on a tripod, and it’s effective.

I use EL range 10x42s. Having the rangefinder on there is huge for me. Having said that, if they made 15x56 SLC ranges I’d have those. I can hold my own glassing with my buddies and their 15s but they get way better looks at deer. I’ll point out a spike buck and they’ll correct me that it’s a fork lol.

Ok good stuff.,, what tripod are you guys running them on??
I have a fairly simple setup, sirui T-024SK with a va-5 head, pretty versatile and has held up well

When I get a new tripod I’ll get one that’s a little taller so it’s easier to use standing, mine I have to bend over a little fully extended, and sometimes I need to be above the brush to effectively glass… but for the majority of my glassing, this tripod works well

Probably get another sirui when the time comes due to how well it’s held up on the coast. It’s dinged up and scratched but functionally like new

Also have no reason to upgrade the head, I like the va-5, and it still runs smooth after a few years on the coast getting wet and dirty and thrown around… nothing fancy but I have no complaints, especially for the price

I had a suiru, with flip locks can't remember the model with va5 head. Wanted something a tad bit taller to stand and glass as the suirui was about 3-4 inches too short and I would have to slightly hunch over. Picked up a slick 634 with twist locks and its been good

Compacted they are about the same size but just a hair taller when fully extended.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk