Which Release?

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I have always shot inexpensive wrist-strap releases. I shoot with it short under my 1st joint, pulling into it with a little back tension (and probably a little finger movement too). I would like to step up to something better, but can't afford to drop hundreds on something that seems such a personal preference. I could see sticking with a nice wrist release or moving to a true back tension design.

What would be your recommendation on a release (or style) to try and keep an eye out for in the classifieds, that is reliable, accurate, and won't break the bank?

I will let the pros answer but I still use the same wrist strap release I had 22 years ago in high school. Probably cost 20-30 bucks. Probably better performance out there but it pulls the string back and releases when I pull the trigger. That said I don’t shoot past 40 yards, and prefer 30. So that may play into things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gburk

WKR
I’m happy to opine as if I was an expert. You can’t go wrong with a Stan release. I shoot a perfex thumb and it def tightened up my groups compared to a wrist strap. Buy used try it and be out only shipping and time if you don’t like it. Just don’t lose it, I tried that once. Archery talk is where to look

Stan and Carter both make fantastic thumb and back tension releases. I currently shoot a Carter Wise Choice which I love from an accuracy and adjustability perspective...my one nit with it is that it does make a clearly audible click when it breaks and when you attach to the d-loop.

In the wrist strap category I've recently become a fan of B3's products. I personally prefer a hook style on a flexible webbing strap if it's a wrist release but overall they make a solid product at a fair price.

Reactions: Zac

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used wrist strap releases for years, but wanted to start using a handheld. That was a big mistake for me. I punch the trigger on a thumb release too much for me to swap to it. My groups are alot better with a wrist strap than a handheld release.

cured_ham

WKR
Another vote for Stan/Carter+NockOn

They are great releases with near new resale value.

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. My current release needs replacement so thought I would try something else. I'll keep my eye out for a deal in the classifieds.

I have always shot inexpensive wrist-strap releases. I shoot with it short under my 1st joint, pulling into it with a little back tension (and probably a little finger movement too). I would like to step up to something better, but can't afford to drop hundreds on something that seems such a personal preference. I could see sticking with a nice wrist release or moving to a true back tension design.

What would be your recommendation on a release (or style) to try and keep an eye out for in the classifieds, that is reliable, accurate, and won't break the bank?
I have a Hamskea Droptine wrist strap I will sell ya. It’s in the classifieds

If you wanna stay with a wrist strap i have a carter 2 shot id sell ya, pm me if interested. Otherwise, i use the nock on silverback and nock2it, i like them and would highly recommend em even tho they're expensive. The new backstrap from nock on looks interesting too

BDRam16

WKR
To each their own, but for hunting I would always recommend a thumb vs back tension. There are people who use tension releases for hunting successfully, but most of those guys are very dedicated target archers who move into the hunting realm.

Whatever style you decide to go with, being able to go hands free (no annoying wrist strap dangling) is definitely an improvement in my book. Wish I could go back in time and have never even used a wrist strap.

Rob5589

WKR
I recently started shooting a Stan Xtinction II. Great release, nice trigger shape, plenty adjustable, open hook design which I really like. I use the webbing strap model so I can shorten the head to get a nice wrap with my finger. About 120 bucks if I recall.

I recently started shooting a Stan Xtinction II. Great release, nice trigger shape, plenty adjustable, open hook design which I really like. I use the strap model so I can shorten the head to get a nice wrap with my finger. About 120 bucks if I recall.

I just picked one of these up also. Feels just like the triggertech on my rifle. Sharp break, no over travel. I'm sold. I prefer a solid shaft so I can take some pressure off my wrist when drawing.

I used to shoot a Scott Shark, but it was so sensitive I couldn't really squeeze through the shot, simply touched it off. This feels much better and breaks with tension during my pin float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cronsman

WKR
Love my nock2it, even for hunting. Only thing I worry about is losing it but have a pretty good system of keeping track of it

If you wanna stay with a wrist strap i have a carter 2 shot id sell ya, pm me if interested. Otherwise, i use the nock on silverback and nock2it, i like them and would highly recommend em even tho they're expensive. The new backstrap from nock on looks interesting too
I’m considering switching over from my Tru-Fire wrist strap to the Nock On Silverback or Nock2It. If you had to buy one first, which would you get? How do you use them both?

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Stan Perfex is the best Thumb Release any beginner or person looking to switch over can buy. Highly adjustable and you can practice a back tension style of shooting while still being able to adjust tension and clip onto your d loop. I bought a tru fire wrist sling to wear during 3D or hunting.

I’m considering switching over from my Tru-Fire wrist strap to the Nock On Silverback or Nock2It. If you had to buy one first, which would you get? How do you use them both?
If you have a good amount time before your next hunt id go silverback first so you can retrain your brain, and id try to get the new version that has the lanyard hole cause i wish mine had one. Its pretty uncomfortable to use at first and you will get worse before you get better. If you are on limited time you could get the nock 2 it first but if you punch the trigger currently you will probably just continue to do so with your thumb if you don't use the silverback first

And the reason i got both is to practice/retrain my brain with the silverback and hunt with the nock 2 it. I know some guys hunt with the silverback or similar tension releases but its not for me. I start using the silverback more exclusively for target practice whenever i start holding low and off target and wanting to punch it, which is happening less and less often. Silverback forces you to just put the pin on target and keep it there

I
And the reason i got both is to practice/retrain my brain with the silverback and hunt with the nock 2 it. I know some guys hunt with the silverback or similar tension releases but its not for me. I start using the silverback more exclusively for target practice whenever i start holding low and off target and wanting to punch it, which is happening less and less often. Silverback forces you to just put the pin on target and keep it there
10/4 Sir, Nock2It was in stock yesterday afternoon and I got both with your same intended purpose.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I recently started shooting a Stan Xtinction II. Great release, nice trigger shape, plenty adjustable, open hook design which I really like. I use the webbing strap model so I can shorten the head to get a nice wrap with my finger. About 120 bucks if I recall.
I also recently picked up a Stan xtinction II. Absolutely love this release. Took me about 4 or 5 days to get used to it. Shot a Scott mongoose the last 10 years or so. I have the web design, tons of adjustments, crisp trigger. Glad I made the switch.