Which scope as a new host for the THLR reticle?

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Ya I'd be real happy with that. I have 2 of the original LRHS 3-12's and that scope would be awesome with the THLR reticle.
I would too ... though mine weighs in at 26.4 oz / 748 grams.

Apparently, the LRHS2 was done specifically at George's request, so I guess that's the cloest contender we have to a precedent ...

4th_point

WKR
I'd love to see the 3-12x LRTS/LRHS come back with a different reticle.

Note that Pat Sinclair was involved, along with George.

fwafwow

WKR
I would too ... though mine weighs in at 26.4 oz / 748 grams.

Apparently, the LRHS2 was done specifically at George's request, so I guess that's the cloest contender we have to a precedent ...
Just double checking, are you a fan of this reticle? :cool:

How do I pronounce it? Tee Ayche Ell Are, or something like "clear" but with a "TH" sound at the beginning?

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Just double checking, are you a fan of this reticle? :cool:

How do I pronounce it? Tee Ayche Ell Are, or something like "clear" but with a "TH" sound at the beginning?
Yep. Very limited time with it so far, but a fan. My initial thoughts so far:

It's basically the best of both worlds of a mil-based reticle allowing for more planned shot process ('System 2' thinking) with intuitive BDC-like options for 'System 1' thinking that Thomas is a fan of. Allows for either approach to using the reticle without really messing up the other option.

The square in the middle gives everything I think people think a doughnut will give them, in terms of an 'aiming box / space', but without the issues doughnuts usually give (thick lines that get in the way, often confusion about their relationships to mil markers/subtensions).

And it's usable at low mag and high, with clear benefits at each that you want at each, unlike possibly the majority of reticles out there.

I know it looks strange at first look, but I encourage everyone to read Form's posts explaining the reticle, watch Thomas's videos, then rinse and repeat ... it will all make sense to where it becomes intuitive.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Which Trijicon
The Tenmile 3-18x44, while a little long, has a stated weight of 24.4 oz. (691.73g), which gets us pretty closet to spec. Unnecessarily high on the top end, but as long as the 6x erector in that design doesn't compromise FOV and reliability, then perhaps that gives us some headspace at the top end that we don't need to use if we don't want to, and should be good through to 16x ... main thing with the THLR reticle would be that it would need to be large enough at the high end magnification to get the value from the features once zoomed in.

Personally, if that Tenmile or either the LRHS 3-12 or 4.5-18 came out with the THLR reticle, then the size and weight would be worth it. The ZP5 is amazing, but far more weight and magnification than needed for a hunting scope (I think that package is more suited to military applications, as shown in one of the original videos, but then deleted long ago.)

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I didn't think of Trijicon in a list I made earlier. Their current 24 mil wide reticle has kept me from considering the Tenmile for my use as a hunter. For the same reason, I haven't given the 2-10x36 Credo a try. A 24 mil wide reticle rules it out as a hunting scope for me. The THLR would fix that.

I'm still a big fan of the 3-12x44 LRHS. Love the elevation dial setup. It's just a reticle away.

If Maven is willing, I think they'd be the best bet. They're smaller, fewer SKUs, and only sell direct to customer. They'd be able to get something to market more affordably than Trijicon, I think.

Part of the reason there's been so many SwFAs sold is because of the price. That would be a key aspect of being able to guarantee high sales. If it ended up being a $1000+ scope, I'm way less likely to buy one because I really like my SWFAs.

The Tenmile 3-18x44, while a little long, has a stated weight of 24.4 oz. (691.73g), which gets us pretty closet to spec. Unnecessarily high on the top end, but as long as the 6x erector in that design doesn't compromise FOV and reliability, then perhaps that gives us some headspace at the top end that we don't need to use if we don't want to, and should be good through to 16x ... main thing with the THLR reticle would be that it would need to be large enough at the high end magnification to get the value from the features once zoomed in.

Personally, if that Tenmile or either the LRHS 3-12 or 4.5-18 came out with the THLR reticle, then the size and weight would be worth it. The ZP5 is amazing, but far more weight and magnification than needed for a hunting scope (I think that package is more suited to military applications, as shown in one of the original videos, but then deleted long ago.)
Ah ok, that scope is a definite no from me due to the ridiculous form factor

aron

WKR
Finding a company that really would prioritize reliability as well as entertain real world feedback would be a challenge. Look at the number of scopes Vortex and Leopold sell each year. We are such a small subset of the sales where your common scope owner would have no clue if his scope is holding zero. General population is to take out the rifle a week before the season, lay it over the hood of the truck and shoot a can at 25 yds and call it good.

Im all for and really hope a company will step up. Better off focusing on companies that are willing to spend R&D on the reliability game.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

freddyG

WKR
Part of the reason there's been so many SwFAs sold is because of the price. That would be a key aspect of being able to guarantee high sales. If it ended up being a $1000+ scope, I'm way less likely to buy one because I really like my SWFAs.
When the licensing fee for the reticle costs almost as much as a complete swfa scope, your price point is complete fantasy.

I don’t think that a reliable ffp scope that can pass the drop test, with the THLR reticle, is going to come in under $2k.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've kinda ruled them out, but thinking on it a bit more....Nightforce could put the THLR in one of the NX8 scopes. Perfect world, they downsize to a 3-12x44 NX4 but for either/both the NX8 2.5-20 or 4-32, simply having this reticle might change the scope for my use.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
That's part of the reason, sure. But reliability is ultimately the most important reason for most of us here.

This project is not about guranteeing high sales; it's about seeing a solid scope with great specs for hunting produced with the THLR reticle.

If that's not for everyone because of price point, no problem. Pretty sure many of us would keep our SWFA 3-9s as well.