Which scope for a allround rifle

Hi all. I'm new to the Rokslide. I hope not to scare you with such a long post...

After having a few rifles (not as much as any of you, for sure, our laws are far more restrictive about arms), I've sold my Brno 375 H&H, K95 single shot 6,5x57R, M70 NH 30-06, Bergara 6,5 CM...and I'm working on a "one rifle" setup for hunting mainly mountain and semi-open lands in Spain. It has also to be useful on a dozen driven hunts and nightstand hunting. Our preys go from a 15lb fox to a 400lb deer, and I feel confident of making a shot @ 500yd max.

The rifle I've chosen is a Tikka T3 Superlite black in .270Win. Currently has a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x52 BDC on top and is mounted on Burris rings. The glass is not amazing but I'm quite happy with it (it was on my single shot for mountain hunting), but now is totally unusable for driven hunts and at night without a red dot.

So I'm on the market for a new scope, but cannot decide...I'm looking for:

- 50+ft field of view @100yd
- Ill. reticle.
- BDC.
- Parallax adjustment.
- at least 10x max power.
- lightweight.
- around 1500$ max. (that's 2000$ in Europe)

I can sacrifice parallax adjustment (I don't know if it's really needed on that range of power and distance) and maybe the lightweight (but not over 24oz).

Now I'm between Swaro Z5i 2,4-12x50 (not sold in europe and lack of PA), Leica AMplus 6 2,5-15x50 (long and heavy. I hear nothing about leica riflescopes), Meopta R2 2,5-15x56 (big and heavy, not BDC)... but I'm sure you can give me another options as you have access to a lot of different optics.

¿What would be your choice given such an amount of info? XD

Thank you in advance and Cheers from Spain!

P.S. I have to apologize for my English. I hope is good enough for you to understand..

eric1115

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 would be a sharp, clear, reasonable weight option that would be dead reliable. Maybe pushing the budget by a little bit and I'm not sure about availability in Spain?

OP
P
Thank you all for your replies.

The thing is...Swaro has the same price as Leupold in Spain, so I guess is a no brainer (I favor 70% optics-30% mechanics).

On the other hand, I've seen the NF 2-10 and looks amazing. Maybe kind of weird reticle for driven hunts. I'm in love with #4 reticles (Plex for a second option).

And I'm still looking forward to see Leica's Scopes on the flesh. I'm quite intrigued about them.

There's two issues that keep me still thinking about it... One is the parallax adjustment: ¿Is really needed to hunt up to 500yd? The other one is máx power ¿Being used to 25x...even if I usually set the scope on 14x, will be 10x enough?

Regards.

elkguide

WKR
Full disclosure..... I am a "Swarovski fan boy!"
For what you are describing for your style and type of hunting, the Swarovski is likely what you are looking for. Leica makes great glass and their binoculars are fantastic. I have not been impressed with their scopes. The NightForce scopes that have been mentioned are great especially if you are hunting long range and have time to range and adjust turrets. For a driven hunt their reticle is difficult to use for a snap shot. Meopta is a good option as well.

If your choice is between Swarovski and Leupold, that isn't even a fair contest.

For me a rifle scope is just something to get me on target so what I am looking for in a hunting scope is something that is reliable and if it has good glass that is a bonus. Yes I do have several "high end" rifle scopes but where I spend the most of my money is on my binoculars (Swarovski) and my spotter (Kowa) and when I pick a rifle scope, it's reticle to get and keep me on target and durability is what I am looking for.

PS: Your English is just fine. Better than many of us Americans!

Wapiti1

WKR
In your neck of the world, Meopta R2 is probably easier to find, and there are several 2-10 and 3-12 variations in that line that fit your list.

If you can find Schmidt and Bender, their 3-12 in the Klassik line should be in your price range in Europe. Nice scope and lots of options that should meet your list.

You know about Swarovski, so I'll not mention that one.

I've looked at the Leica scopes, but not the European ones, only the ones they assemble in the USA. Not sure what is available there.

Jeremy

Cody_W

WKR
If it were me, being used as a hunting scope I would choose a second focal plane scope with a mid range magnification range. Even with a bdc, it will most likely only get used on max power. Or so has been with my experience. The leupold vx-5hd or vx-6hd range of scopes are of great quality for the street prices they run. Swaro is always great glass but are a little more spendy. I would look away from the x5i and look more at a z8i or z6i with the ballistic turret if you want to go that route.

Another option which may add even more versatility and lower your cost would be to mount a Picatinny rail on your rifle with quality quick detach rings for the Zeiss scope you already have and buy a red dot or RMR optic for driven hunts.