Which tikka prefit?

satchamo

WKR
I’m currently suffering from serious paralysis by analysis….

I’m putting together a 7 PRC tikka and I’m not sure what the best prefit option is.

Here is what I want:

-7 PRC
-stainless
-20 inch (running a can)
-5/8 threaded
-spiral flute
-#3 sporter contour
-shouldered (no nut)

I’ve looked at every brand imaginable and can’t seem to find any option without issues. I know you typically only hear about the problems.

Right now I’m leaning towards preferred bb but I could easily be swayed. I’m trying to keep it under $800 for the barrel…. But I know cheap doesn’t always mean value.

So what do you recommmend?

Who’s #3? They vary widely by mfr. Not all will have 0.725” diameter at 20” which may or may not be a problem depending on how you address it.

PVA has a Brux #4 contour option now which is basically the same as a bartlein #3 but I’d make sure to talk to them about what dimensions the barrel will actually be because they don’t seem to follow actual contour specs worth a darn.

nobody

WKR
I know @Unknown Munitions has started offering shouldered tikka prefits recently. They use ace barrel blanks and will cut/chamber to order. They’re $795 with a threaded muzzle, $695 with no muzzle threading. They’ll flute for an additional charge. I’ve never purchased from them, but with everything they’ve offered the industry in the last few years, I would have no hesitation. My next barrel order will be through them, without question.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Who’s #3? They vary widely by mfr. Not all will have 0.725” diameter at 20” which may or may not be a problem depending on how you address it.

PVA has a Brux #4 contour option now which is basically the same as a bartlein #3 but I’d make sure to talk to them about what dimensions the barrel will actually be because they don’t seem to follow actual contour specs worth a darn.

When I say #3 I’m using it loosely - I mostly mean I’m looking for a heavier sporter thick enough to spiral flute so I was looking at UM’s #3 or a bartlein #3 as my basis and planned to match the contour with whatever said barrels contour is close to that.

When I say #3 I’m using it loosely - I mostly mean I’m looking for a heavier sporter thick enough to spiral flute so I was looking at UM’s #3 or a bartlein #3 as my basis and planned to match the contour with whatever said barrels contour is close to that.

Looks like ya just missed out on this one: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/pva-osprey-tikka-prefit-7-prc.344350/#post-3467277

Just messed around on the build options - looks like PVA would set ya back $875 ish and preferred would be $600 unlapped, $665 lapped.

Pretty low price on the PBB stuff. I have avoided them just due to some of the early negative reports but there are lots of happy customers too.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Looks like ya just missed out on this one: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/pva-osprey-tikka-prefit-7-prc.344350/#post-3467277

Just messed around on the build options - looks like PVA would set ya back $875 ish and preferred would be $600 unlapped, $665 lapped.

Pretty low price on the PBB stuff. I have avoided them just due to some of the early negative reports but there are lots of happy customers too.

Yeah that’s where I’ve been leaning. I looked at UM but they were almost $1000 after fluting and that’s just a lot to stomach on a build I’m trying to keep reasonable.

Ironically I did message that guy on that barrel but I was too slow!