Which Weatherby Rifle

I’m debating between these 4 Weatherby rifles.

- Vanguard Talon 6.5 PRC ($1,289.99)
- 307 Range XP 6.5 Wby RPM ($1,189.99)
- Mark V Hunter 6.5 Wby RPM ($1,439.99)
- Mark V Weathermark 6.5 Wby RPM ($1,599.99)

I am set on getting a Weatherby, my family has been shooting Weatherby since the Mark V came out in the 50s so I have some personal bias there. I am looking for my next do all hunting rifle. I like the 6.5 because of how flat they shoot for the amount of recoil they have (based on backfire.tv recoil chart).
These are my dilemmas, is it worth spending the extra $200 for the mark V action? Is it worth spending an extra $100 for the fiberglass stock on the Weathermark over the hunter? All of these rifles are around 6.2lbs, for primarily a hunting rifle I am going to be hiking around with, is another 1.25lbs of weight a dealbreaker for the 307? Does the peak 44 carbon fiber stock on the vanguard talon make it worth getting over a mark v?

I’m just looking for another perspective on these questions to help narrow down my decision. Thank you!

TN2shot07

WKR
If you want a Weatherby buy a Mark V, even better if it’s one of their cartridges. There are too many other rifle options if you just want a 6.5 prc

Weathermark
Hunter
307 - I’m curious to see how these work out. I’ll be much more interested once they drop it into their Peak 44 stock, not particularly fond of their initial offerings
Vanguard - Weatherby stamped Howa, nothing wrong with them at all but you can get one cheaper

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve handled all of these minus the XP. I really like the Talon stock plus 6.5 PRC ammo may be more available and affordable. For me the stock on the Talon trumps the Mark V action. If you go Mark V go Weatherguard the extra $$$ is worth it as my opinion the Hunter stock is just OK.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I would say go with the mark v action. At the difference in price point I think its a no brainer. And second to go with the weatherby cartridge...if you have a weatherby it may as well be 100% weatherby. If worried about weight you could always change the stock later to a peak 44 or an ag composites.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
Price 6.5 RPM ammo vs PRC ammo on ammoseek.com to help you choose.

The Peak 44 stock is amazing. The Howa action is super smooth.

That 1.25# turns a 7.5-8# scoped gun into a 9-10# scoped gun. 8# is my personal limit for a western gun that I'll be doing a ton of hiking with. But then all of those have barrels too long for me as well.

Marshfly

WKR
I would say go with the mark v action. At the difference in price point I think its a no brainer. And second to go with the weatherby cartridge...if you have a weatherby it may as well be 100% weatherby. If worried about weight you could always change the stock later to a peak 44 or an ag composites.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is a good option. Just gotta come to terms with the pricy hard to find RPM ammo.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
That Weathermark or the Hunter are tough to beat for me. 6.5RPM is one heck of a round and I have been impressed with it the last few years. The stocks feel pretty different to me on those two models so if you can check out both I would and decide after shouldering both options. Best of luck in your decision and let us know what you get!

I own two mark v’s. When I was buying a weatherby I wanted a weatherby chambering. It makes no practical sense. But I just wanted them. My buds that own vanguards are very happy with them. I would buy whatever of your choices you think fit you and check most of your boxes and the heck with what makes sense on paper. Shoot what you want , buy practical shoes……

Talon.
#1 - 6.5 PRC no doubt if using factory ammo, more of a wash if handloading but I do like the smaller case and lapua brass option.
#2 - IMO the Mark V action is more of a relic of past times than a good choice for a new hunting rifle. You don't need that giant action and 9 lugs (or 6 even in the case of the RPM). I see no benefit to them, it's just more mating surfaces that have to be true and can create friction. That aside, they still work fine but then they went and fluted the bolts and added ceracoat on the new models which just seems to make the new ones run rough as shit. This thread is a prime example of how Weatherby lives off name and perception rather than the merits of their products.

The 307, if well made, seem like a nice option for the price but they are just another in a long line of m700 clones. If the action is smooth like some of the better executed clones they might be a nice option. If it runs like it's competitors at that price range (christenson, bergara), yawn.

If you go Mark V go Weatherguard the extra $$$ is worth it as my opinion the Hunter stock is just OK.

The hunter stock looks like a peak 44 blackcomb stock shape in plastic, is that the case? If so, what about it is lacking? stiffness?

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Are you married to those calibers? I think you would benefit from a 6.5-300 or a 300 weatherby or even a 257 weatherby. That 6.5 300 is an absolute screamer. 257 is very nice as well.

Keep in mind weatherby is releasing more standard rounds soon if that changes your mind.

That being said, I have a 6.5 prc in weatherby flavor. Shoots federal 143 eldx like a dream. Took a cow with it last year. Still reach for my 300 though

sndmn11

WKR
The vanguard talon is a no brainer from that list.
I'll add...

The 6.5creed should be the choice. There's a literal nothing the PRC does that the creedmoor cannot.

It will last longer
Components are more prevalent
It will be shot more precisely
It will be lighter
It will have less recoil
It has endless factory support
It is more versatile
It will eat powder slower

I own a PRC and a Creed...

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to note about the mark v vs vanguard is bolt lift. The mark v has a 54 degree vs a 90 degree of the others. While this is minuscule, its important to some. I do prefer my mark v over my vanguard.

I have a Mark V and it is awesome. I won it at a DU auction, chambered in 6.5-300. It kicks pretty serious. I am actually contemplating another Mark V in a more standard caliber, which I think will better suit my normal hunting needs (Close shots on southern whitetails).

But I do have two Howa 1500's, which as I understand it are essentially the same/fairly similar actions. I like it, but my Howa's are a bit sloppier on the action. I honestly like the 54 degree bolt throq on the Mark V better than the 90 Degrees of the Howa.

Sorry, all that was to say I think you're likely good with any of those rifles, but given the original question I'd be leaning toward the Mark V hunter. (Probably in the 6.5 PRC too)