Which Zebra light do I want???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm ready to step up my headlamp game, thinking the zebras are pretty cool. I'm confused though. Can somebody explain these to me, the light beam, type of light etc???

Also, Id probably prefer one of the AA battery models since its easier to get batteries for them.

They have three beam shapes - flood, floody, and "regular". Flood is very wide and doesnt have much throw, regular is like your regular flashlight - has a concentrated beam in the center and then some spills in around it, and floody is combination of the two. My personal favorite for general use is the floody.

They also have several different light colors now, but basically one is cool white which is almost a blue (like those LED headlights), and the other is neutral white, which is more like sunlight and doesnt distort colors. Better for blood trailing, etc.

There are a couple posts on here I'll see if I can find and link them for you.

Also, do yourself a favor and get am 18650 light, a charger, and a couple batteries (off ebay). You'll thank me later.

This would be my choice if I were to get a new light...

Also, look on ebay for the green panasonic ncr18650b 3400mah batteries. Should be about $15 for a 2-pack.

Then pick a charger - I use a nitecore, but pretty much any will do. If you get one like this, it can be used in reverse (you can use the battery to charge your phone)..

For more info, see post #17!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the replies, looks like most models are backordered....at least all the ones I looked at.

Shraggs

WKR
I think a good back up choice is fenix. Gosh I think the hm50 and hL50. Not sure but the “50” is correct.

one is rechargeable, both under 2 oz and both have as described above a floody pattern. These are cr123 but have an adapter to convert to AA. The rechargeable version is newer, brighter and blue tint. The other is neutral.

for walking a trail home at night floody is so much better with a center hot spot. I like the fenix patter better than my buddies zebra.

Not sure if you have an ACE hardware but they sell them there retail.

around camp a pure flood is better but for one light get a floody pattern.

I’m pretty bad with the part numbers but I have a 18650 flood warm and really like it. I also have a aa spot warm that I bring on shorter hunts. Once I figured out all the settings I don’t think there is another brand I’d go with.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I found my new Zebralight from a seller other than Zebralight as they where out of stock.

Get high CRI. It will help with seeing contrast.

I got the regular, I find it has plenty of spill to work as a headlamp close up and don't think I would get even the foody as throw is important to me.

I got the 5000K as this should be about the same color as natural sunlight. I'm happy with the color tent of mine. I like warm lights though, so I would probably have been happy with the 4000k too. The increased blue in the 5000K should help with finding blood trails.

I got a LiitoKala Lii-500 charger as they are well reviewed and considered reliable.

I ordered protected cells from Orbtronic that used a Japanese manufactured cell and circuit.

I have been a mild flashlight nerd for years, but never got a Zebralight as I thought "that is just a right angle light with a head band as an after thought." All I can say now that I have one is that it is the most functional headlamp I have used.

Clarktar

WKR
I found my new Zebralight from a seller other than Zebralight as they where out of stock.

Get high CRI. It will help with seeing contrast.

I got the regular, I find it has plenty of spill to work as a headlamp close up and don't think I would get even the foody as throw is important to me.

I got the 5000K as this should be about the same color as natural sunlight. I'm happy with the color tent of mine. I like warm lights though, so I would probably have been happy with the 4000k too. The increased blue in the 5000K should help with finding blood trails.

I got a LiitoKala Lii-500 charger as they are well reviewed and considered reliable.

I ordered protected cells from Orbtronic that used a Japanese manufactured cell and circuit.

I have been a mild flashlight nerd for years, but never got a Zebralight as I thought "that is just a right angle light with a head band as an after thought." All I can say now that I have one is that it is the most functional headlamp I have used.
Do you recall the seller? Recently lost my zebra. Best headlamp I've used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

It was Monarch Rope. Looks like they are sold out of the one I got at the moment.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

May not be the one you want, but this place has some in stock. I found a few on Ebay, but the price gouge was ridiculous.

T28w

WKR
Thanks for the replies, looks like most models are backordered....at least all the ones I looked at.
I went through this earlier in the year. I don’t think u will be disappointed with any of the zebra lights. And I’d get the 18650 battery vs AA. Those batteries last crazy long.

NDGuy

WKR
I have liked these batteries which were recommended by a Rokslider.
3500mAh 18650 battery high drain rechargeable Orbtronic 3.7V Li-ion

with a Xtar Charger
Amazon.com: XTAR VC4S 18650 Battery Charger 4 Slot li ion Fast Charger with 18W QC 3.0 Wall Charger Max 3A for 10440 16340 18650 20700 21700 32650 Ni MH AAA AA C Battery Charger Test Batteries’ Real Capacity: Home Audio & Theater

If you don't care to wait, look at Fenix headlamps. I was lookin at Zebralights for Xmas a few years back but parents got me the Fenix HLR60 and I love it. Very bright and easy control settings.

Tod osier

WKR
May not be the one you want, but this place has some in stock. I found a few on Ebay, but the price gouge was ridiculous.

Try the zebra light store front, when it says backordered, they can often get them in a couple days. Last order that I made 2 of 3 I wanted were back ordered, but they were delivered within the week. They are getting stuff in every day it seems in. Just order what you want - my experience is it will come quick even if backordered.

Try their chat function on the contact us page and they will let you know. Pro tip (as in you need to do this...).... you have to keep the chat window open until you get a response to receive a response (messed up I know, but it works). Open window, chat, leave window open and you will get a message back fairly soon (within the day).

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks for all the helpful information guys. I'd seen Zebralights in the past, but really didn't give them a second look. This thread got me interested, so I spent some time yesterday morning (my day off and it's winter up here!) researching through them. The made in the USA part was compelling.

I chose the H600c Mk-IV for my needs...hopefully the warm light throw will be sufficient for me. Ordered directly from the company on their web-site yesterday, no problems.

rclouse79

WKR
I'm ready to step up my headlamp game, thinking the zebras are pretty cool. I'm confused though. Can somebody explain these to me, the light beam, type of light etc???

Also, Id probably prefer one of the AA battery models since its easier to get batteries for them.
Definitely get the single AA. Mine is as bright as a truck headlight. I vowed to never use a three AAA headlight again after fumbling around in the dark to change the batteries. You can change the single battery blind folded in ten seconds. A trick I learned is to unscrew the end cap a turn. This makes it so it won’t turn on in your pack.