Who builds their own arrows?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
33E911CF-4970-4A25-9244-5D904FFCC28C-2428-0000010EA0394D20.jpg

A7BC231D-0744-46A0-8F6B-ADC940551899-2428-0000010E8C2F16E5.jpg

F0D45EA7-0AC3-40B9-A549-E6C5654356CD-4102-000001F1167760A9.jpg

How else are you going to get groovy wraps like these if you don't build your own?

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
I usually have them cut at a shop and then build them from there.
I have used the Arizona EZ fletcher before and have learned to hate it, will soon be buying a better fletching jig.

Ozz08

WKR
I usually have them cut at a shop and then build them from there.
I have used the Arizona EZ fletcher before and have learned to hate it, will soon be buying a better fletching jig.

Really? What do you hate about it? I love my ez fletch mini. I sold the blitzenburger I had cause I stopped using it when I got the ez fletch. I got a second ez fletch mini and I can blow through a dozen arrow like nobody's business. Never had any adhesion problems and my arrows look good when I'm done.

OBP

WKR
I have been doing mine for years. I used a bitz for a few years but switched to the bohning blazer jig a couple years and haven't looked back. The blazer jig has much less room for error and ensures every fletch is in the exact same position.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I have been "rolling my own" for years. That way I can choose my wraps, fletch colors, nock color and make sure they are RIGHT to my standards. I run a Jo-jan multi fletch, onestringer custom wraps and blazers. Nothing super exciting, but they are mine and they are another notch on my confidence scale.

Lukem

WKR
Had the shop do my first batch. Watched them and thought, that's too easy to pay anybody to do. Done them ever since.

I even built my own arrow saw. It's a dremmel strapped to a modified 1x2, a tape and a C clamp. Cost me about $67, and $60 of it was the Dremmel. Not pretty, but it's simple and it works.

I find doing things myself to be much more satisfying. Part of the reason why I cook over a cat food can in the backcountry.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Building up some Kinetic 200's tonight and was curious who else builds/fletches their own and who takes them to a shop?

I love the Kinetic 200s. I have built my own arrows for many years and always enjoy doing so. I shoot mostly Black Eagle arrows in 250 spine now. When I hunted exclusively with a longbow, I made my own cedar arrows, which was always time intensive.

I now do everything except build strings. A buddy and I went in on a bow press and a chrono a few years ago and built my own draw board. I got tired of the inconvenience of having to take my bow to a shop to have anything done. Building arrows and doing all my own tuning gives me full responsibility for my set up - to me it makes success more rewarding...

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I now do everything except build strings. A buddy and I went in on a bow press and a chrono a few years ago and built my own draw board. I got tired of the inconvenience of having to take my bow to a shop to have anything done. Building arrows and doing all my own tuning gives me full responsibility for my set up - to me it makes success more rewarding...
Same here. I do it all too except build strings. I learned that no one puts the care into it as much as me.

Solitude

WKR
Really enjoy the arrow building process. Can't explain it, but the more items I tinker with, build and tune on my bow the closer I become/feel with my bow and more confident I am during the moment of truth. Use the AZ Mini, a wrap and blazers. If you do not build I strongly suggest you start!

RUTTIN

WKR
Got tired of fletchings falling off years ago. I have mine cut at a shop as I don't have an arrow saw. I tried cutting them with a dremel tool once didn't work to well. I use a small wrap, blazer vanes and a Bohning Blazer Helix jig. Do you guys find that wraps help your vanes stay on? I haven't had a problem with them coming off since I started using wraps.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Building my own for years. Get to choose your own colors, wraps, etc and there is a certain pride that comes with it. Plus you can easily repair any arrows with torn up fletch.

A note on the jig. I saw above one person hated the Arizone EZ fletcher, the next liked it. I tried the EZ fletcher years ago, when doing aluminum. Hated it! The ends of the vanes never contacted the shaft - so they always peeled. So I went to a single fletch Bohning jig, which I used for years. Last year, after reading lots of good reviews, I decided to give the Arizona EZ mini fletcher a try. For the short vanes, it works great. Three at a time, perfect helical. If anyone is wondering about this jig, I'd say you'd be very pleased with Arizona EZ mini fletcher.

Hardstalk

WKR
I dont do wraps. Became a hassle when I cut a fletching. I shoot with broadheads 6 months a year. Maybe overkill. But leaves me with alot of confidence. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359235728.329927.jpg