Who else is hunting with a 6.5 Grendel?

Not at all. I took a rather large doe over 400yds with my 11" a few weeks ago and would have zero issues pushing it out further. It's coming out for speedgoat again after Christmas, as well as being the primary for my January plains elk hunt
That is awesome. It would make a fun packable rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Put me in the category of 11" is too short.

11" should net 2275 fps.. with 123gr eld-m factory ammo.. now there's a variance there but split 2250 to 2300

a 16" will allow you a good stock, and should be in the neighborhood of 2450fps..

Obviously atmospheres will vary wildly but lets take a worse case Ontario end of November hunt, North Dakota, Montana... 10 degrees at 2,700 feet.. that 11" is already below 1800fps before it hits 300 yards

The 16" is good past 400..

if I'm way off on velocity numbers let me know but I think they are fairly accurate.

Definitely off, but only on your data input, not your math. You can see on my ablr load my 11" is still above the bullet's expansion threshold at 800yds. That's 800yds at my range, which is 3000-4000 ft below where I usually hunt

- - - Updated - - -

I’m confused how a bullet only loses 150 FPS over 1k yards

Yeah, strelok likes to hang and do some dumb shit every once in a while. Quickload is also known to bug up on Grendel data as well. I don't use strelok, just popped that out to try to post, I stick to my actual fired dope like I have been for years, it's second nature

OP
Newtosavage
Your'e definitely pushing the threshold and working well beyond my comfort limits, but to each their own. I mean, I grew up thinking a 30-30 was all the deer rifle anyone needed so what do I know. :D

I am very impressed with my Howa Mini. Yesterday, it put five 120-grain ELD-M's into 3/4" at 100 yards, and four of the five were touching. That's as good as I can hold a 9x scope so I figure the round and rifle is at least as accurate as I am, if not moreso, which is all I need.

So far on game, it has performed well but I need some more test data to really be convinced. The last deer I shot acted pretty weird, walking (not running) about 40-50 yards in my direction before falling over, despite the 1" exit hole in his side and a perfect double-lung shot. Took him a while to die too (he died less than 80 yards from my blind, and I could see him breathing in my 10X binoculars). That might have been the bullet though. Folks are saying the 130 Sierra Gamechanger might be too hard for the Grendel, so I'll give that 120 ELD-M a try and see how they do.

I am slow to have faith in a rifle, but once I do I usually keep it for a long time. My Tikka 7mm-08 has earned my trust (produced a 3/4" group at 200 yards yesterday with my son shooting it) and this Howa Mini is well on it's way. Seems like a perfect deer caliber inside 400 yards to me. It has replaced my interest in the .243, which is saying something considering how highly I regard that caliber for deer hunting.

Haven't heard much either way about the game changer but I've had less than stellar performance from the eldx in most of my barrels. I've had decent groups from eldm, but I wouldn't use that bullet on game. SST have worked quite a bit better, and the ablr has been about as close to magic as I've ever seen. Have you tried Barnes TTSX in the howa yet?

EastMT

WKR
Your'e definitely pushing the threshold and working well beyond my comfort limits, but to each their own. I mean, I grew up thinking a 30-30 was all the deer rifle anyone needed so what do I know. :D

I am very impressed with my Howa Mini. Yesterday, it put five 120-grain ELD-M's into 3/4" at 100 yards, and four of the five were touching. That's as good as I can hold a 9x scope so I figure the round and rifle is at least as accurate as I am, if not moreso, which is all I need.

So far on game, it has performed well but I need some more test data to really be convinced. The last deer I shot acted pretty weird, walking (not running) about 40-50 yards in my direction before falling over, despite the 1" exit hole in his side and a perfect double-lung shot. Took him a while to die too (he died less than 80 yards from my blind, and I could see him breathing in my 10X binoculars). That might have been the bullet though. Folks are saying the 130 Sierra Gamechanger might be too hard for the Grendel, so I'll give that 120 ELD-M a try and see how they do.

I am slow to have faith in a rifle, but once I do I usually keep it for a long time. My Tikka 7mm-08 has earned my trust (produced a 3/4" group at 200 yards yesterday with my son shooting it) and this Howa Mini is well on it's way. Seems like a perfect deer caliber inside 400 yards to me. It has replaced my interest in the .243, which is saying something considering how highly I regard that caliber for deer hunting.

Thanks, I was wondering about the howa accuracy, I’ve never been around them. I was wanting a Grendel bolt gun for my boy to shoot, seems like a good round to learn on and start off with for him on antelope or smaller deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
Thanks, I was wondering about the howa accuracy, I’ve never been around them. I was wanting a Grendel bolt gun for my boy to shoot, seems like a good round to learn on and start off with for him on antelope or smaller deer.

Dude, I'm flat sold on those Howas. I've owned two now - the 7.62x39 and the 6.5 Grendel, and they are both two of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. I'd grab either one for a hunt of a lifetime, no reservations at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't heard much either way about the game changer but I've had less than stellar performance from the eldx in most of my barrels. I've had decent groups from eldm, but I wouldn't use that bullet on game. SST have worked quite a bit better, and the ablr has been about as close to magic as I've ever seen. Have you tried Barnes TTSX in the howa yet?

I'm a fan (of the Gamechangers) but the jury is still out in my mind as to whether they are too hard for the 6.5 Grendel. On the range, they are very accurate and consistent. So no reservations there at all.

One of my old soldiers likes them in his Creedmoor, so it might just be that they need a bit faster push than the Grendel is capable of.

Just to reassure anyone who might get the wrong idea on some shots I take, rest assured that I am a humane hunter and won't take shots that are questionable for my experience/skill level. I've only been hunting for 30 years, but the uncle who introduced me was a Marine 8541, I just chose to follow his footsteps in a better branch :cool: (j/k for any Devil Dogs on here)

But yeah, if I ever felt undergunned or unsure I'd skip the shot or use the Creed.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the 1300 fps number.. I know from a few reports on ablr that the limit threshold is more like 1800fps..

did a quick google search on ballisticstudies.com and that seems confirmed..

I haven't recovered them all the way down to 1300 yet, but I have from down to 1400 on gel and a few ELR distance pigs and they've definitely done their jobs. I plan on hanging a few pig carcasses this spring for a little impromptu testing along with some gel shooting on a few more different projectiles in 6.5 and 6

that is pretty encouraging..

Rechecked but Foster wrote back about 6 months after the ablr came out that the 150gr 270 would pencil sometimes under 1800 fps.. so I assumed the 129 would be similar, in which case the 123 amax would be a cheaper version at higher velocity and factory ammo.

How large is the wound channel at 1500 fps?

EastMT

WKR
So I would not use the LRAB on a high speed 6.5. I think it is ideal in the Grendel speed area.

I used it for Mountain goats here in AK, I know of 2 guy that used in in a Creedmoor on sheep with similar result from the AK forum.

First shot at 290 yards, high on the shoulder blade, did not hit leg bone. He started walking uphill, bad sign if you have ever hunted goats.

Went in brush, I ranged next opening at 380, came out broadside walking, I was high shoulder above vitals, my fault. He then turned at me, put one in his brisket and he started downhill for 50 yards before tipping over.

1 shot dissection-2” of penetration, looked like point blank 410 blast, did not pass through the shoulder blade even. No fatal punctured.

2 shot-high above vitals, shooting at a walking animal at 50 deg incline is tough, my fault no blame on the bullet

3 shot- hit just left of main brisket cartilage, exploded into heart and lungs, did not penetrate the diaphragm, which I expected as the heart and lungs are very little resistance.

Rifle- Nosler 26
Ammo- Nosler factory LRAB 142
Speed-3250

My takeaway is hitting the target with these rounds at high speeds is a bad idea. After discussions with Nosler Reps, friends calling Nosler reps, they basically said yeah, I wouldn’t want to meet a griz with those in my rifle point blank.

There’s a thread on the AK Outdoor forum, same thing happened on 2 dall sheep with Creedmoor, same hunt, 2 different rifles, explosions under the skin.

I switched to partitions, no problems.

So for the Grendel at slow speeds, I think it would be fine, high speed, I would reconsider unless shooting 6-700 yards plus. When I took them I thought they were just higher B.C. accubond, wrong! That hollow point behind the tip alters everything, quick to open, too quick in some cases.

OP
Newtosavage
This Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel is becoming my most accurate rifle.

This past week, my son and I were shooting at 200 yards. He had my Tikka 7mm-08 with 162 ELD-X (previously my most accurate combination) and I had my Howa Mini with 120 ELD-M's. Both shot under an inch at 200 and all three of my shots were touching. I can't hold better than that.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 44
This Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel is becoming my most accurate rifle.

This past week, my son and I were shooting at 200 yards. He had my Tikka 7mm-08 with 162 ELD-X (previously my most accurate combination) and I had my Howa Mini with 120 ELD-M's. Both shot under an inch at 200 and all three of my shots were touching. I can't hold better than that.

How much lighter was the 6.5 grendel in recoil??

Been shooting my 7mm-08 a fair bit.. recoil is stout with the 162gr.. 120gr over 32gr or so of h4895and it's a baby. Fill the case back up and even the 120gr have some recoil in a 6.6lb setup.

You guys are a bunch of Enablers you know that. Haha

OP
Newtosavage
How much lighter was the 6.5 grendel in recoil??

Been shooting my 7mm-08 a fair bit.. recoil is stout with the 162gr.. 120gr over 32gr or so of h4895and it's a baby. Fill the case back up and even the 120gr have some recoil in a 6.6lb setup.

You guys are a bunch of Enablers you know that. Haha

The Grendel is noticeably lighter than the 7mm-08 load my son was shooting since that was a full charge under a heavy (162 grain) bullet. That load basically kicks like a .308 shooting 165’s. If we’re talking about 120’s in the 7-08 then it’s probably about 30-40% more recoil but that’s subjective of course.

For reference, I shoot 41 grains of 8208 under 120's in my 7mm-08 @ 2900 fps, and 28 grains of 8208 under 120's @ 2520 fps in my 6.5 Grendel.

To me, the Grendel is a very capable deer/pig rifle inside of 250 and maybe even 300 yards. Sure, some folks will feel comfortable taking longer shots but I'm not one of them. If I think I may need to take a 400-500 yard shot then you had better believe the 7mm-08 gets called up for that job.

Last edited: