Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

deadwolf

WKR
Haha, I can’t believe that people say a Nalgene is too heavy? For reals? I have ditched it every now and then though, for a 36 oz yeti bottle, that suckers probably a pound or so. When it’s below freezing it’s nice to not have my water freeze though. I also carry a 10 liter bladder for camp water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ounces make pounds, and when you think in terms of carrying extra pounds up and down the hills, and over the course of 10-12 days, it doesn’t become all that hard to understand wanting to drop weight wherever possible.

OXN939

WKR
One 32oz smart water bottle because it fits in the belt pouch, and I prefer drinking from it, but always have a few platypus bottles to fill up in times when water might be scarce for a few days.

Posted this towards the beginning of this thread, but bringing it back up because it's something I'd want to know about and avoid. Cheap plastic water bottles shed plastic microfragments into your water. Unless you're into synthetic estrogens, probably a good thing to avoid for a weight penalty of the ounce or two it takes to carry a BPA-free Nalgene.

Bulldawg

WKR
Ounces make pounds, and when you think in terms of carrying extra pounds up and down the hills, and over the course of 10-12 days, it doesn’t become all that hard to understand wanting to drop weight wherever possible.

Yeah, but this is borderline silly

Why carry additional wt. if it’s not necessary. Granted there are the occasional creature comforts that are just worth carrying, but for me that’s one, maybe two items (but usually just one). If you’re not worried about the additional wt. of a Nalgene, over something that will do the same job but weighs a fair amount less, than where does it end? Next thing you know, you got 70+ lbs on your back to start out the hunt. I was like that on my first sheep hunt, and one thing’s for sure, I’ll never do that again.

Beanyray

FNG
Was that your only water you had on you? I always have a backup water source on me at all times for that very reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use a bladder as well so I wasn’t in a pinch.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
Posted this towards the beginning of this thread, but bringing it back up because it's something I'd want to know about and avoid. Cheap plastic water bottles shed plastic microfragments into your water. Unless you're into synthetic estrogens, probably a good thing to avoid for a weight penalty of the ounce or two it takes to carry a BPA-free Nalgene.

I'm with you. They're killing us softly, until recently. Now they're trying to pretty hard really.

sneaky

"DADDY"
i swapped out the Nalgene for the sawyer and smart water bottle

EXCEPT! I find if the water bottle is on its side with factory lid it has a slow leak....anyone else experience this?
Never had that issue

sneaky

"DADDY"
Keep thinking that. Microplastics are everywhere, in the air, in the ground etc. Drinking from a nalgene isn't going to make any difference. Sampling 250 bottles out of almost 500 billion that are sold is statistically insignificant. I guess you use an all metal water filtration system as well, right? Tap water they tested contained microplastics too. You can't get away from microplastics no matter how hard you try. Carrying a Nalgene certainly isn't going to solve that problem either. It's the same issue with faux fur. Greenies say they're saving animals by wearing faux fur which shed microplastics off at an alarming rate, and most end up in landfills after they go out of style. Natural furs tend to get handed down from generation to generation, and if they are discarded they decompose naturally. We live in a plastic society, that box has already been opened and we can't go back now.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but this is borderline silly

My buddy hikes the PCT with a 12 pound pack, he spends $600 on his sleeping bag to shave as much weight as a person can by ditching a nalgene. If you think that is silly what do you think about people cutting the handle of their toothbrush to save an ounce?

OXN939

WKR
Microplastics are everywhere, in the air, in the ground etc. Drinking from a nalgene isn't going to make any difference.

While the above statement is technically correct, that analysis is extremely misleading. Think about it this way- pesticides exist on almost all produce in a grocery store. That doesn't mean I'm pouring myself a tall glass of Roundup to drink with dinner. Concentration is the important part, and using low quality plastics like single use PETE water bottles increases the concentration of microplastics that go directly into the water you're drinking. Just something to consider.

I have always used Smartwater bottles and a Sawyer filter, although I recently swapped out the Sawyer for a Versa flow because the Versa is easier to filter hands-free.

I have never used a Nalgene, but I might switch to one in cold weather because warming my feet in the sleeping bag at night would be amazing, especially after my last trip when my feet got wet and took a while to warm back up.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I completely ditched them for several years. Now I'm back to using one in HDPE (about half the weight of a standard one, but still more than a disposable water bottle).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I completely ditched them for several years. Now I'm back to using one in HDPE (about half the weight of a standard one, but still more than a disposable water bottle).

I did the same. I have a Stone Glacier pack and their hydro holster which is designed for a Nalgene- water is very handy and easy to access. I also started using their soft sided Cantenes for additional water in the pack- they come in 32, 48 and 96 oz.

The wide mouth accepts my steripen with no drama

I switched around for a while. I was pretty opposed to carrying a nalgene at first, since I filter using a Katadyn BeFree, but there's just stuff that's a lot easier to do in the wild with a small nalgene (like brushing your teeth). I ultimately went back to a nalgene and I use the little 16oz size.

Sapcut

WKR
I just saw the thread title and I have to ask….. why did everyone ever start carrying a Nalgene bottle in the first place? Isn’t that why we use bladders that hold larger amounts of water? And why “nalgene”? To me a collapsible bottle is only worth carrying anywhere for filtering before putting in bladder.