Who has done the research on the new Tundra?

11boo

WKR
Have you considered a 2021 Tundra with the 5.7 V8?
I would look for a low mile 2020 or 2021 Tundra with the tried and true power train. Those things are bullet proof.
I have a 21. Great for me so far, except this one time. Chained up, the traction control stuff could not figure out what to do. It was like some limp mode, would not let me hit the gas. I could get going by backing up a bit and taking off.

Anybody know the trick? Tried 4L and 4H.

IMG_7253.jpeg

I have a 21. Great for me so far, except this one time. Chained up, the traction control stuff could not figure out what to do. It was like some limp mode, would not let me hit the gas. I could get going by backing up a bit and taking off.

View attachment 563110
Did you turn the traction control off?

Turbos are all the rage. But, as mentioned, its just one more thing to go wrong. And they do go wrong. I wouldn’t touch any of these new turbo engines. Thats just me though, to each their own. I sold a ‘14 F150 with the 5.0. Great truck and great motor.

RS3579

WKR
I bought a 2014 5.7 tundra with a topper with 130k a few months back. They’re out there, just have to be patient. You’re right though. 1-3 years old, you might as well go new.
One reason to get used, is to get Certified used. A 100,000 mile power train warranty with it being Certified.

Reactions: ODB
I’m not an expert, but if you want reliable…. I would not trust anything that is a hybrid.

I strongly doubt any battery will last longer than about five years. The cost for battery replacement is unreasonable in my opinion.

I’m not an expert, but if you want reliable…. I would not trust anything that is a hybrid.

I strongly doubt any battery will last longer than about five years. The cost for battery replacement is unreasonable in my opinion.
I am not a hybrid fan, but I think Toyota warranties their hybrid batteries for 15 years.

Probably. I was trying everything and was running short on daylight.
What you described sounds like the traction control doing what it was designed to do. You can turn it off with a button and the tires will spin as hard as you want. IMG_2627.jpeg

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty loyal to Yota as they have served me well and wife’s had a Camry and now Highlander with no out of pocket expense other than maintenance.
I HAD a 2023 TRD limited, transmission shifts were best in the business for a 10 speed. We drive fords and chevys at work. I liked the interior enough it worked.
I was only getting 15mpg. This doesn’t bother me as I don’t buy trucks for gas mileage. However I say this because I got 15 with my V8’s.
The new tundra to me is yes refined and technologically advanced over its previous model, but Toyota seems to have forgot why use them, no tow hooks, no bumper to step on in back to get in truck, slippery bed, whole front end is plastic, so much safety you can’t back up a trailer without IT slamming on the brakes at least once.
Dealers asking 15-20k over on the hybrid or TRD Pro models.
I’d keep or pick up the ol V8 and enjoy a fantastic bullet proof motor, gear ratio designed to work, reliability proven to be best in the biz. Tow hooks and bumper that can take a minimum maintenance road or plowed cornfield without breaking a stupid plastic clip.
Don’t get me wrong, this would be my personal first choice over the big 3 all day, but I’m now in a 2020 tundra with a real v8 sound, not one that’s pumped into the speaker!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
so much safety you can’t back up a trailer without IT slamming on the brakes at least once.
Those are the options I can't/won't tolerate. We had a hail storm the other day and my wife was trying to pull her Avalon all the way into the garage so she could fit at least half of her Subaru in as well. I was guiding her in and that dang car was fighting her the whole way while trying to get the car in all the way forward. The last thing I want is a vehicle that brakes on its own.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Toyota is great but i would not buy the first year new engine from anyone including outboards.

rojocop

FNG
I have a 2016 Tacoma trd sport w 92k mikes and was appraised 29k for it. Thinking of getting a tundra.

@Thinkingman didn’t you have one 25 years ago?
Pretty sure I bought it at your dealership.
2024 prototype.
The used car buyer there is really knowledgeable and picky about what he buys.

OP-You'd have to be crazy to buy this generation Tundra.
Completely unproven and heavy on electronic features.
Sounds like you want to do truck stuff...Tundra is not that vehicle.
If you're stuck on Toyota, buy a previous generation but read up on recalls and engineering flaws so you know what you'll need to address after you buy it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

View attachment 563110

You have to press and hold the traction control button for about 5 seconds for it to actually disable it. Just pushing it will not do it.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I’m doing the proverbial tire kicking as well and saw that there was not a V8 option… immediately closed the book on the Tundras.

Toyota should have learned from Ford’s eco poop disaster and stuck with reliable 5.7

I’m doing the proverbial tire kicking as well and saw that there was not a V8 option… immediately closed the book on the Tundras.

Toyota should have learned from Ford’s eco poop disaster and stuck with reliable 5.7
What disaster?
Should I be concerned about my 3.5 Eco with 144k trouble-free miles?