Who has moved UP in caliber for elk

I see testimonials all the time from guys who stepped down from magnums to lighter calibers like the 6.5 creedmoor. Seems like a common trend. The exception is guys getting into long range.

For you non long range people, how many of you have hunted with a lighter caliber such as the 6.5 creedmoor and decided that you wanted to go bigger? What experiences led you to make that choice?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Define long range? Im from back east and when I start talking with buddies about shooting 400 yards the scoff at the idea. In the mountain west, it is always a possibility.

elkguide

WKR
Went from .270 to .300 Win Mag 25 years ago and have no desire to go back. I went that way after taking elk and watching elk being taken with lighter calibers. Elk are tough (and yes I've watched them anchored with a .243,) I always seem to end up with less than perfect shots and a little bit farther than I planned on. After guiding elk hunters for 10 years, the .30 calibers just seem to do it better.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I only shot 1 elk (cow elk) with a 6.5 CM, she didn't even take a step and dropped in 20 seconds after she was hit. That's my limited experience with 6.5 CM and elk, but I wanted a dedicated Elk rifle so I purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 PRC for some extra insurance cause sh*t happens when hunting.

jofes

WKR
I shot a cow this year at 80 yards with a 6.5 cm 143 eldx, perfect broadside shot and she ran 20 yards down the mtn, even had a pin hole on the offside, zero blood in those 20, problem was I saw 3 other elk taken that day with 300 win mags and all of them had better performances even on marginal shots, mine was perfect and i was 100 yards from a private fence, at the moment of the shot i kept wishing I had more wallop so she didnt have a chance to run, thankfully she didnt. I'm currently building a 300 wsm for that margin of error. I'm moving up.

Went from .270 to .300 Win Mag 25 years ago and have no desire to go back. I went that way after taking elk and watching elk being taken with lighter calibers. Elk are tough (and yes I've watched them anchored with a .243,) I always seem to end up with less than perfect shots and a little bit farther than I planned on. After guiding elk hunters for 10 years, the .30 calibers just seem to do it better.
This is why I own both. 270 for deer and 300 win for elk.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m staying with the same caliber, but dropping down in cartridge. I’m going from 7 SAUM to a 7-08. I dearly love my Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM, but my Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 is about a pound lighter. 😁

Steelhead

FNG
Not necessarily going up here, trading in many years behind 30-06 to 7 mag here starting next season. Was time to upgrade the rifle so decided to switch caliber at the same time.

Killed my 4th elk this weekend with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I've killed a lot of elk and it's bullet construction and placement that matter not diameter. I shot this cow at 240 yards and she went 5 feet and dropped. Used a 130 Accubond, and she was pretty much done right then and there. I wish people understood it is bullet construction more than caliber...

MThuntr

WKR
Started with 7mmRem to 300WSM to 7mm08 to 280AI. No reason just continue to switch around. I have a 300WinMag that I've been tinkering with but really find myself preferring the 280AI over everything else.

The 7mm08 and 280AI are staying in active rotation. The others will get repurposed whenever I get very bored (they'll likely live their lives out in the safe as loaners since they're Savage and have little sale or intrinsic value)

Killed my 4th elk this weekend with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I've killed a lot of elk and it's bullet construction and placement that matter not diameter. I shot this cow at 240 yards and she went 5 feet and dropped. Used a 130 Accubond, and she was pretty much done right then and there. I wish people understood it is bullet construction more than caliber...
Bullet construction is definitely important but I can tell you that after killing 5 bulls with a 6.5 saum, and seeing two others killed with a creedmoor, there's absolutely 100% no denying that larger and heavier bullets are much better suited for elk.
This is especially apparent when making less than perfect shots, and at longer ranges (beyond 400 yards)

Squincher

WKR
I wish people understood the concept of a larger, faster bullet of the same construction.

I wish people understood the concept of a larger, faster bullet of the same construction.
When they stop dying with what I'm using, I'll consider a larger faster bullet.

And for the record I used to use larger and faster. In the day I shot a 7.82 Warbird, and then a 300 Rum when they came out. And yes they both worked impressively well. But most people can't shoot heavy recoiling rifles accurately. And in the day when I used those cartridges bullet construction wasn't what it is today. The Swift Scirocco was the cutting edge bullet, and it was quite effective, but I think bullets have become even better and more dependable. I used to think that I saw much more variations in performance of individual bullets than I do today. Now it seems they are incredibly more consistent than they used to be.

I spend a lot of time hunting not just for myself, but with other people, and the nut behind the trigger is in my opinion the weak link. Most people don't shoot enough, and they aren't able to place a bullet well to save their lives. Bigger and faster might help this scenario, but I often think it's worse because poor placement becomes poorer.

Honestly I don't really care what people use, but I just wished they shot enough so they could consistently place the bullet where it needed to go, while using a bullet that's constructed for the job at hand...

bsnedeker

WKR
I went from .270 to 300WM for elk but my goal was to be more effective at slightly longer ranges so I don't know if that meets the criteria you are asking about. I have no real negative stories about my .270, it was more about confidence in the cartridge than anything.

I had a group of bulls at 400 yards with my .270 a couple of years ago but I wanted them at 300 before I was comfortable with that rifle...they spun and left after about 10 minutes so I never got a shot I was comfortable taking. I bought a 300WM and now I'm confident out to 500 which is the furthest distance my range allows me to shoot currently.

I'm honestly not basing this on any kind of ballistic calculators or anything...it's probably all in my head, but confidence is important so I'm glad I went bigger.

OP
C
You guys who are stepping up to more powerful cartridges, are you using muzzle brakes?

You guys who are stepping up to more powerful cartridges, are you using muzzle brakes?
Yes for long range shooting but they're terrible for hunting in areas that may require a fast shot.
I've recently waded into the suppressor world and man its awesome.
my wife shot her buck this year with my suppressed 7mm and the buck actually ran towards us, it was pretty cool sitting next to her with binos and no ear pro