Who uses Sleeping bag liners?

Travis907

WKR
Who uses a sleeping bag liner in their sleeping bags? I’ve never used one before.

Pros: added warmth and keeps bag clean
Cons: added weight, extra cost

Am I missing anything?
Thanks

kevf

FNG
Hi Travis, I don't think you're missing anything.

I do use a sleeping bag liner, I have a Sea-to-summit Reactor (+14F). I mainly use to keep my bag clean. After hiking and sweating, and after a few days in the field, I qt least know my sleeping bag will require less care.

I am a hit sleeper, so I always sleep in boxer in my Magma 15 sleeping bag up to 27F ish with the liner. It adds a little weight, but I believe it extends the life of of sleeping bag, or at least minimize the cleaning needs.

Curious to hear the others on that one.

I used the sea to summit reactor is a really cheap 20 degree bag in temperatures around 30, kept me comfortable in a base layer and hoodie.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I use the sea to summit reactor. I am a cold sleeper and it does make a difference. It's probably not as good as what the rating says. It also does help keep the bag clean but I honestly only use it when its cold for extra insulation.

bsnedeker

WKR
I used one for a couple of seasons because my wife insisted on it...lol! She didn't want the sleeping bag to get nasty from me sleeping in it for a week or two at a time with zero showers.

I struggled through two seasons with them....they suck in my opinion. Make getting into and out of the bag in the middle of the night a PITA. I came home after my first trip without one, let the bag air out for a few days and demonstrated that the bag was fine and my wife left me alone after that.

This is my story.

OP
T

Travis907

WKR
I was wondering if they are a pain if you have to get out of the bag in the middle of the night or if you toss and turn while sleeping.

BBob

WKR
Cocoon silk user. Been using them for 20 odd years or so? Love the feel and keeps the bag so much cleaner. Washing them is pretty telling as to how dirty they are. I guess I'm used to getting in and out of them and don't really notice much getting up in the middle of the night. I have a reactor as well but use it on rarer occasions.

TheGDog

WKR
Especially if you're using a lightweight system, like a 40F bag if your area doesn't USUALLY get all that cold... you should STRONGLY consider making sure to carry that liner with you if you think there is any possibility the temps could drop below that 40F threshold for that bag!

Nothing is worse than being woken up within your bag, because your body has realized something is dangerously wrong and you're shivering all over at 3am! In my instance, I think it dropped down to 35F that night, which is rare in that area for that time of year.

Then... ya gotta throw on extra clothes.... which are freakin cold and right up against you... so you're doing this patience game of waiting their freezing and shivering waiting for your body to slowly start adding heat back into that equation. The liners don't weigh very much at all. They are inconvenient in terms of getting back out of the bag if you have to heed natures call multiple times before you finally go down for the night. The one I got, I seem to recall it doesn't have a zipper or anything like that. So takes a lil more commotion getting out and back into it, but it's minor.

TheGDog

WKR
I was wondering if they are a pain if you have to get out of the bag in the middle of the night or if you toss and turn while sleeping.
Tossing and turning not so much a big deal, I have to turn a lot due to back injuries. The getting in and out though, is a minor inconvenience just cause there's more fussing you have to do to get your body back down into it. The inconvenience is that it takes a smidge longer to get back out. And if you're having a great feeling of urgency to urinate, ya know, you won't appreciate those additional seconds. But that's mostly it.

I just bought one this past season for a colorado 3rd rifle season. I believe its the sea to summit reactor. I really liked it and will definitely use it again. I was was contemplating packing in a second bag until i bought this. My bag is an 18° down and with the liner I stayed warm down to 4°, and it kept my bag clean. Definitely would recommend.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I use one. Have for a long time. I use it with a 30 degree quilt. I have taken that quilt down into single digits with the liner. Zero issues with warmth (I run hot).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use a silk cocoon liner with my quilt. Cuts down on drafts, adds some warmth, moderates things if I vent the quilt, helps keep the quilt clean and doesn’t have the issues clambering in and out with a sleeping bag. It works well for me.

I use a liner used both silk and fleece. I do toss and turn and it can get twisted, but I deal with that. Ive learned to always carried a pee bottle into the bag with me. This way i dont need to get out at night. I learned to do this from folks who where mountain climbers. It sucks to carry a pee bottle in the cooler months, but not getting out of the bag and tent at night when its below freezing is worth it. Plus its nice to have the warm bottle to hold on your back or chest.

I use a Sea to Summitt Reactor Extreme. I backpack and camp with Scouts a couple times a month and always use a liner. It definitely keeps my bag clean and provides extra warmth when needed.
It does tend to twist and bunch up if you are a side sleeper or toss a lot at night.

liners are wonderful and a great way to manage moisture. air it out during the day and boom ... it's good to go another night

kevf

FNG
I use a Sea to Summitt Reactor Extreme. I backpack and camp with Scouts a couple times a month and always use a liner. It definitely keeps my bag clean and provides extra warmth when needed.
It does tend to twist and bunch up if you are a side sleeper or toss a lot at night.
I agree it does twist. Not so much if a big deal on my end. Once you're in, it ends to follow you more than completely twisting.

I feel i just got use to it.

Reactor is definitely my go to as well. It also dry very fast if you ever happen to have to go in with wet clothes tondry them up.

Honyock

WKR
I always use a liner. Keeps your bag from getting funky and works well by itself as a sheet on the warmer hunts.