Who Uses Walking Sticks for Hunting?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trail/endurance runners use them even though their packs are ten or less pounds. They really help distribute the working load of your lower body to your upper body. Also allows you to have at least three points of contact to help ensure balance.

Jethro

WKR
This thread made me think of a hunt I went with a buddy that had the tag. He didn't have trek poles and brought old pair of ski poles. He didn't use them much, but when he had them with they were strapped to his pack and stuck up about 3 foot above his head/pack. He is a short guy, so it really looked funny. I kept telling him whenever I stood next to him, I'd get 4 bars of phone service.

I use them. I wish I had a set 30 years ago. I also bought an attachment that quickly connects the sticks
and makes a nice rifle rest. They compress into a very small package and fit easily into the outside side pocket on my pack. The side strap on my pack hold them in place. They don't spend much time strapped to my pack as I use them. Mostly they are strapped to my pack for transporting to and from the woods.
I used to fall down quite often. Since using my sticks I rarely fall down.

WoodBow

WKR
I did not use them for years. Once I tried them, I won't go without them. It may sound odd but I don't know what to do with my hands if I don't have poles. My thumbs alternate between being hooked in my sternum strap and being hooked under my shoulder straps. Neither option is great. The poles help to keep my back from hurting too. And you just can't beat having a 3rd and 4th leg when on sketchy terrain.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I started using trekking poles a few years ago and will never look back. The carbon fiber trekking poles sold at Costco are the best deal going anywhere. Around $20 last time I saw them. I grabbed a couple sets. I've taken a tumble in the mountains and broken them, but other than that they are a huge benefit for balance and stability when crossing streams, slowing and carefully picking your way down a steep descent, and taking some of the load off your legs and knees when climbing. I haven't needed them for bipod use, but that would sure be an advantage also.

Jbxl20

WKR
Another vote for “not leaving home without them” I have a pair of sissy stix but I don’t see a huge difference between them and the trail buddies or Cascade mountain poles on Amazon.

Elk1365

FNG
Definitely get them, helps a ton when heavy and on uneven terrain. Takes a lot of stress of your joints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Del Gue

FNG
The Cascades were on my porch when I got home from work last night. Decided to take a 2 mile long hike up the mountain power line after a rain shower. I can see a difference instantly with balance and assistance propelling my up hill a wee bit.
What I liked best, was when I lost footing on my descent a few times in the wet vegetation on the trail. The poles helped restore my balance and prevent me from falling.
I am a believer now.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Started using them more a few years ago and won’t go without them now. I mostly only use them when packing heavy, walking through heavy blowdown, or slippery conditions, but they help a lot.

I use a pair of survey lath with a 1/4-20 bolt through them. Doubles as a walking stick. No telling how much stuff I have killed using them.

Meals7

FNG
I highly recommend. Last year was my first time with poles and will never not use them moving forward. Be careful of twist locks as they tend to skip.

Oregonboy

WKR
They are awesome. I even use them to shed hunt and scout. At the end of the day, I'm much less sore, have more energy and I'm much more stable, so less chance for injury. Money well spent IMO.

Hnthrdr

WKR
They should call them knee savers; honestly I like them more going down hill than up but I use them for both. Taking even a little weight off your knees is super nice!

d3r1k

FNG
I use the Cascade Mountain Tech from Costco and they are a game changer. Uphill, downhill, water crossings, blowdowns, they’re useful pretty much everywhere. I have several hundred miles on them and no complaints. The tips wore out but that’s an easy replacement. Skurka has a long term review that’s worth checking out.