Who Uses Walking Sticks for Hunting?

Lowg08

WKR
I love them. I even keep a spare set under my back seat. I used to refuse to use them. My wife made me get a set after I broke my leg. I’m still using them even though im
Healed up

Looking to see who uses walking sticks/trekking poles for elk hunting out west. Up and down mountains.
Do they really make a difference?
Are they worth the aggravation of carrying around?
They are definitely worth it to me. I've had a couple knee surgeries and going down hill really can do me in if I'm not careful. Trekking poles are a must for me. They're not very heavy. I have a set of black diamond that I like. A buddy just got a set of the argali with the bino or rifle rest that seem pretty cool.

TaperPin

WKR
They do make a little noise so they aren’t for actual stealthy hunting, but packing in and packing out they are priceless. I don’t normally pack a tripod and use a spotting scope resting on a pack, but for extensive glassing a single trekking pole while sitting is quite nice.

If there is a lot of time to get in a solid sitting position, or you’re set up waiting for a shot in a certain direction, two crossed trekking poles can be quite steady. If a deer steps out and you sit down for a quick shot, forget about using them to steady the shot.

There is a big difference in price and weight - for those of us who really use them a lot and not just for hunting, the cost is justified. If you have no use for them other than a single western hunt, the heavier dirt-cheap $20 trekking poles from Costco are much better than nothing.

Having said all that, if I had to choose between poles and a pack 10 lbs lighter, I’d go with the lighter weight.

hiker270

WKR
I have a pair of carbon fiber ones I use when elk hunting and just a plain old stick when hiking at home.

87TT

WKR
I thought about it and need to clarify my answer. I carry them ALL the time. I don’t use them while “hunting”. That is if I have a weapon and a tag. Kind of a reward for tagging out. Now, I do usually find an appropriately size and shape of “raking” stick to double as a hiking stick. Strong, light, and comfortable to use for support but a throwaway if necessary.

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
So worth it, helps with descents with load off knees. Big thing for me in some places is stability on steeps, crossing rock fields or other crappy terrain.

IMHO, best innovation of them all when it comes to cost/benefit.

Don't leave home without them anymore.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Since I have a really bad back, I use them 100%!
They really help me with posture, stride, and strain.

I’ve never used trekking poles. With that being said, I absolutely see the benefit in having them for pack outs and descent. In the past, if I need one, I find a stick or two and discard them when I’m done.

I thought trekking poles were dumb. Something for soft old men, or people who just had to have every possible piece of gear.

Not real sure what made the wife and I buy them on a hiking trip. But man am I glad we did. I use them all the time!

Absolutley! I always have them. The ones I have break down to about 14" overall and pack easy in side pocket opposite tripod. They are a big help when packing weight. Steep uphill and downhill they very well may save you from an injury. Speaking of.... I fell last year and hurt leg. If i had not had the trekkers it would of been hell getting the rest of the way down.

I know someone will ask....so YES.. I was using the trekking poles when i fell..LOL
Its was an ugly descent.