Who's sleeping 2 guys in a traditionally sized 2p tent?

Hi All,

We know a lot of guys use the floorless mids (some w/nest) with 2 guys, but who chooses a traditional 2p tent (or trekking pole tent) that has a nest/floor area in that 50" wide range?

Which tent do you run and how do you like it?

Thx,

s

Like a Hubba Hubba sized tent?

Did this on Kodiak this past fall and I learned:
1) Both hunters better be small. Interior space is limited.
2) Need to coordinate who sleeps on their back and when.
3) Packs must be outside.
4) Pray for no weather. Sucks to be cooped up and minimal space for cooking due to packs.
5) Be damn good friends.
6) Decide who’s the big spoon and who’s the little spoon. Whole trip or switch every night?

Depending on size, I would say a 3 person tent for 2 guys is a minimum. Expect Snoring, tossing turning, farting. Wear ear plugs. Gear storage is an issue. Packs in vestibule.

I have a 3 man zpaks tent for that purpose, but I havent used it with a hunting partner in years.

Had to use a 2P a few times on some goat hunts. Would recommend against it for reasons others have stated. 3P at a min, 4P would be best. That tent was the definition of a fart box. Good memories lol!

MHWASH

WKR
Slept 2 in a Kuiu Mountain Star 2p several times. Like others have said it sucks. If there is any kind of slope, put you heads up hill not one guy up one down. That was the worst sleep I ever had.

Just spent 9 days in a Hilleberg Nallo GT2 on AK sheep hunt. Two people (6’2” and 6’3”). About 5” snow that turned really wet and then approx 30mph gusts, maybe more, another night.

Gusts half flattened our guides Big Agnes. Had to use trekking poles to prop up.

As for Nallo - You’re definitely sleeping side by side but I’d say enough room to sleep comfortably. One thing I did not like was our WM bags touched the foot of the tent. Luckily those bags are so good, the dampness went away very very quickly with the finish they use.

Not a lot of room in main tent at all besides bags and mats, but vestibule was huge and we kept boots, extra clothes and more in it. Also able to cook in it. (We always kept our packs outside with covers on and never had a problem. I’ve never personally kept my packs inside tents or even vestibules).

Tent didn’t flinch a bit at any of the weather and was particularly awesome in that wind where most freestanding dome tents take a beating.

manitou1

WKR
My 2p barely has enough room for me and a bit of gear. Couldn't imagine two folks in there, even if it was my wife.

On a more serious note...

One thing to bunk up in a 2-p when spiking out for a night and it is another to bunk up in a 2-p for a planned week-long (or longer) hunt.

Steelhead

FNG
I would even chose 2 separate 1P tents over cramming 2 dudes in a 2P tent. Allows for the individual to even carry a 2P tent if they want and variability of you both end up camping in a cramped area. The ability to spread out. Minimal weight differences in the grand scheme of things.