Why are small rifles primers available but no LR or LRM?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The problem you are having is you are asking a question that no one on an open forum will have the answer to. You will get speculators and people that "know someone".
There was a guy on another forum 4 months ago that personally "knew" someone at Federal, that told him the Government had contracted for all primers. And that the civilian market would see none for 3 years.
Ok, sounds reasonable, but how different is that scenario from in years past? The government didn’t just recently start buying primers. Haven’t they for over 100 years? Why is now different? There can’t be that many more recreational shooters now. And I can’t imagine this administration expanding defense purchasing significantly. So what gives. I still don’t get it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
There's thousands available right now if you know where to look and willing to spend more than you would have in the past
Sorry, I call BS. I’ve looked and spent hours.

I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice if you can find me Federal 215M’s from a reputable retailer (not a price gouging reseller) right now. I’ll give you until 2100 PDT today.

So discord is basically a big chat room. There’s one for reloading components with like 20+ thousand members. The instant something comes in stock somewhere it’s posted and everyone in that group gets a notification. That’s why you can’t find any… I was getting stuff when there really was almost nothing to get.

bmart2622

WKR
Sorry, I call BS. I’ve looked and spent hours.

I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice if you can find me Federal 215M’s from a reputable retailer (not a price gouging reseller) right now. I’ll give you until 2100 PDT today.
What do you consider price gouging? $.30/ primer? Thats funny that you think you can give me deadlines!!! 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Ok, sounds reasonable, but how different is that scenario from in years past? The government didn’t just recently start buying primers. Haven’t they for over 100 years? Why is now different? There can’t be that many more recreational shooters now. And I can’t imagine this administration expanding defense purchasing significantly. So what gives. I still don’t get it.
Taking emotion out of the equation.
NO ONE on here can answer your question period. No one that has the answer you are looking for will answer the question. Does it matter WHY you can't find what you want?? If you knew, what would you do with that information?
This is at least the 3 rd time since 1990 I have seen primers disappear for an extended period. That was the last time I was even remotely low on reloading components. When you find what you are looking for buy a lifetime supply x 2.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Taking emotion out of the equation.
NO ONE on here can answer your question period. No one that has the answer you are looking for will answer the question. Does it matter WHY you can't find what you want?? If you knew, what would you do with that information?
This is at least the 3 rd time since 1990 I have seen primers disappear for an extended period. That was the last time I was even remotely low on reloading components. When you find what you are looking for buy a lifetime supply x 2.
Why, because I have an insatiable desire to understand the how and the why of things, all things. I like to learn, and to understand. Is that so wrong? And nothing about this shortage makes any sense.

bmart2622

WKR
Yes. That’s 2x+ normal cost.
Well youve got to pay if you want to play or else keep whining about not having primers. Stuff costs more these days, thats just the way it is. Id also rather spend the $18.99/lb for powder like some of my older powders price tags read but thats just not reality

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well youve got to pay if you want to play or else keep whining about not having primers. Stuff costs more these days, thats just the way it is. Id also rather spend the $18.99/lb for powder like some of my older powders price tags read but thats just not reality
If legitimate retailers were charging $300 a brick because that’s what they were worth and actually cost, I would pay it without a peep. But that’s not reality. Supporting these price gouging resellers is only making the situation worse.

bmart2622

WKR
If legitimate retailers were charging $300 a brick because that’s what they were worth and actually cost, I would pay it without a peep. But that’s not reality. Supporting these price gouging resellers is only making the situation worse.
Maybe take up golf

Reactions: 9.1
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The solution is to use technology from 2020 rather than 2000 to find primers in-stock.
I thought I was. I’ve now learned Im wrong. I’ve signed up for in stock alerts with every retailer imaginable, yet apparently that’s not good enough. Those alerts never happen. I’ve been relying on an imaginary system. Lame.

Reactions: 9.1

kkp005

WKR
I just bought some Winchester large rifle primers on midway USA last week.$110 for 1k plus hazmat

I was in my local Cabelas the other day and there was 1 brick of CCI BR2 on the shelf plus small rifle and small/large pistol. The same shelf was full of powder. I have no idea how many more BR2 were on the shelf prior to me getting there.

I don't reload pistol ammo. I don't reload small rifle cartridges either. Therefore those will always remain on the shelf after I look at it. I didn't need the BR2 either so those stayed as well. I was mainly looking to see what powder was there. I'm pretty well set on my reloading supplies right now.

That said, Gone are the days of the $0.04/each primers. It'll never be back to that with cost of materials/utilities/wages/freight/etc. Unfortunately it'll likely be $100-150 per 1000 for large rifle primers from now onwards.

Again that being said, the primer is the most important part of the ammunition. You can find bullets and powder, they might not be the ideal bullet or powder for your liking but you can find them. Even if you do find your desired powder and bullet they are worthless without a primer. So at that point, how long do you wait for "not gouging" price? In today's world you did great if you found some for $0.10 each. So at what point do you give in to a "gouger" if you absolutely need them?

Here is a breakdown of cost for my 300prc ammo.

ADG brass 50ct $114 shipped = $2.28 each
Berger 215gr 500ct $319 shipped = $0.638 each
N570 8lb/56,000 grain jug $375 shipped = $0.0066964286 per grain × 82gr load = $0.55/load

I'm at $3.468 for initial firing without a primer.

Like I said above, At what point of waiting do you just bite the bullet on a $300/1000ct brick for $0.30 each? I mean I'm already at almost $3.50/round so why hold out and waste time for a $0.10 primer? Might as well spend the extra twenty cents.

After the thirty cent primer I'm at $3.768/round × 50 rounds = $188.40. A box of 225gr Hornady match is roughly $70/$3.50 each after tax.

Yes My initial firing is more money than factory offering but I have better brass in the long run. Each subsequent loading is $1.488 with again the $0.30 primer. Which is saving me $2.01/each over factory in today's market. From my initial investment of $1,103 for all the above mentioned components ($300 primers). Assuming my brass can be reloaded 10 times each to use all 500 Berger 215gr bullets. It will have cost me $840 for 500 rounds. This leaves me with roughly enough powder for 175 more rounds and 500 primers.

500 rounds of factory for the non reloader would be roughly $1750 @ $3.50/round which would be $910 more for the same round count.

So even paying gouge pricing on primers it is still more cost effective for me to reload my own. The $910 saving covers the cost of the new dies.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I was. I’ve now learned Im wrong. I’ve signed up for in stock alerts with every retailer imaginable, yet apparently that’s not good enough. Those alerts never happen. I’ve been relying on an imaginary system. Lame.
Most guys on the discord page are using bots as well. They don’t even need to be present and the bot purchases whatever they have it programmed to.

EdP

WKR
Fed 210 primers available now (5/22, 7:54 am EST) at 18 cents per. Listed on Ammoseek. Must pay Hazmat shipping of course.

If you want them, there they are. Just have to open your wallet.

WKR
To answer the original question, it's because there was more demand for the small primers during the recent shortage and manufacturers worked hardest to get caught up where demand was highest. It's the same reason I can buy 9mm ammo now but can't find .358 Accubonds.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Fed 210 primers available now (5/22, 7:54 am EST) at 18 cents per. Listed on Ammoseek. Must pay Hazmat shipping of course.

If you want them, there they are. Just have to open your wallet.
Yeah, placed an order for those over the weekend. Hopefully it’s legit. Never heard of the company.