Why cardio ain't enough for the backcountry

Interesting thread. I am a strength coach in professional sports and I can say that all this stuff is good. A few big “rocks” I will offer:

1. Training Density - whatever you train, try to do something every day. This limits how often you can use methods like heavy lifting, ultra long endurance, or intense hikes because you need a few days to recover between them. So mix and match, throw in some yoga, but move every day.

2. Range of Motion - strength is only useful in the joint range where you can access it. Strong, tight, sore joints are not good for hunting. I have squatted 800lbs. Benched 500. I was a hunting hot mess. Don’t worry about lifting heavy, worry about lifting through a full range, with good technique. Full squat, full lunge, full pull up, push up, etc. Once you can move well, start to add weight.

3. Progress Smart - don’t do these “hardo” puke bucket, all out workouts. It’s a waste of time. Start where you are now, and recognize that fitness is a lifestyle. If you train 1x per week for 30 min., start doing 3x 30 and work up to a daily routine. For a hunter, this might look like weekend hikes on the hill, one weekday lift, one weekday yoga, and shoot for a bonus day of biking or cardio. Start there. Do that regularly and watch your l process grow. Real fitness takes time, so make a change and expect to adapt.

I recommend the following:

MWF - 35 minutes lifting full body
TTH- 30-60 min cardio of any kind, or mix of kinds, HR 120-140
Sat/Sun- a hard hike, heavy pack, 6-9 hours.

Good article from Diustin at @mtn TOUGH that was in Backcountry Hunter Magazine.

View attachment 299823

It seems like Randy Newberg and Steve Rinellia do fine without training…. I would say their primary training is cardio🤷‍♂️

bgipson

FNG
This summer has been the first time I've focused any effort towards preparing for the mountains outside of scout trips. I hike a 3 mile loop trail with 700' of elevation gain (here at 7,000' in Wyoming) 2-3 times a week. I've pushed myself harder and added weight as I've gotten comfortable and it's been interesting feeling my body adapt week by week. I'm doing the loop with 50# in the same time I was able to do the trail early on without weight and I'm not sore the following day. Really don't know whether I should continue to add weight or try to push a faster pace at this point? I competed Div 1 swimming back in the day and my mind is arguably stronger than my body so that's good and bad. Any suggestions from those of you more experienced?

This summer has been the first time I've focused any effort towards preparing for the mountains outside of scout trips. I hike a 3 mile loop trail with 700' of elevation gain (here at 7,000' in Wyoming) 2-3 times a week. I've pushed myself harder and added weight as I've gotten comfortable and it's been interesting feeling my body adapt week by week. I'm doing the loop with 50# in the same time I was able to do the trail early on without weight and I'm not sore the following day. Really don't know whether I should continue to add weight or try to push a faster pace at this point? I competed Div 1 swimming back in the day and my mind is arguably stronger than my body so that's good and bad. Any suggestions from those of you more experienced?
I am an Iowa flatlander and my training regimen consists of body weight training , free weights, biking, weighted rucking and running. I feel there is a need for all these exercises if you are hunting the backcountry. You not only need the strength in your core and legs you also need the lung capacity for those climbs. We carry our spike camp in over 8 miles. 50# packs are the low side for our 10 day hunts so I train with 50-55# for 6-8 miles twice a week. Interval run 4-6 miles twice a week and lift/calisthenics every other day. I throw in a 15 mile bike ride which includes hill climbs once a week to give me a "rest". Most of this training has helped us pack out many elk so it works for me. Just know your limitations but push yourself a little each week and you will do good. I am 62 and going on my 15th year of elking and this program I do all year round when weather permits. Its easier to stay in shape than get in shape!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

60# is the maximum I use when training and have never had any trouble with loads approaching 100 # hauling meat.

I'd suggest (if you have time)- increase the distance once a week and try getting in some 8-10 mile hikes

As long as a guy isn't lallygagging, I wouldn't worry much about pace- pace naturally comes on it's own.

tsloniger

Lil-Rokslider
I stumbled onto this thread while searching to see what other aging hunters are doing to prepare for the September mountains.

Over the years I've always prepared for September by logging vigorious elypitical workouts through the winter and running during the warmer months. With these workouts ive always felt pretty good but it always seemed to take a few days to get my mountain legs going once the pack was strapped on.

This year i took a different approach and got into rucking.During the winter months i did allot of hiking with just a light pack, maybe 20 pounds but through some deep snow. Once the weather broke I started with a 30# pack and longer hikes. Now im up to 4 days a week 5-8 miles and a 50 pound pack, average 3.0 mph, 700' gain and loss in elevation. At 58 years old I really feel like I'm more prepared this year than I have been for many years.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading down through this thread. Good luck out there and stay safe.

illbell

FNG
It seems like Randy Newberg and Steve Rinellia do fine without training…. I would say their primary training is cardio🤷‍♂️
I *think* Rinella does hit the weights pretty frequently, he looks pretty strong too, though skinny. Not sure about Newberg, guy is just a beast I guess!

Great read. My hiking this year was 100 times better since I made lifting 70% of my workout. The full blown cardio just wasn’t doing it for me.

Steelhead

FNG
Put your car in neutral and push it around the neighborhood all by yourself. Mostly uphill, the bigger the car/truck the better. just kidding...but not really.
If possible have someone throw crumbling rocks at your feet and slap you in the face with a pine branch.
Occasionally stop and eat a protein bar and tell yourself you feel better.
:)

Exarach

FNG
The best way to prepare for a hunt is to go hunting.

I think its a good idea to find a local park with similar topography and practice. Might not be able to hunt year round, but I can climb peaks and glass for animals/scout, and sort of "go through the motions" Love seeing the local wildlife as well.

stev7975

FNG
Glamour muscles?? Lmao 🤣

Way to justify the soccer arms pal. Keep at it, you'll get there. Plenty of others who want to settle will back you up.

Now if the point is don't just train biceps, fine. But quit knocking upper body workouts, sheezust. Take a look at elite athletes. Not soccer players, full body athletes. They have strong arms. Hunting is a full body activity folks. Work the arms too.

Recognize your abilities and be patient, and bust your ass. The overgeneralizations are nuts in fitness discussion and everybody has an opinion. Funny thing is the ones with a lot of experience make the most general comments (ole norther). Truth.

And for Pete's sake hunting season lasts a couple months. Might as well look like you work out the rest of the year if you spend all that time at it. It might seem like an odd concept, but it feels kind of nice to fill out a shirt the rest of the year along with the thighs on a pair of attack pants.

Mr Lahey

FNG
What a great thread and great article! New to Rokslide and really enjoying this content. Informative and motivating. Some of this is parroting advice guys have already given, but below are my health observations from the last 20 years. I'm no physical specimen. I drank, smoked and ate away my 20's, didn't realize how much of a POS I'd become until my mid 30s and now sit here in my 40s with a lot of regret on how I treated my body. If any young guys are reading this, take care of yourself now and your future self will thank you. Despite the self-inflicted abuse and two bouts with lyme, I can still hang and plan to do so for another decade or two.

1. Range of motion is critical as we age. I go to a local hot yoga place 2-3 times a week and it has been life changing. Good scenery is a bonus!
2. Fitness is a three legged stool made up of strength, endurance and mobility. For the time strapped among us, overlapping these gets the best bang for the buck. Weighted ruck, kettle bell swings, pushing/pulling sled, intense yoga.
3. Find multiple sources of motivation to draw from. The hunt is the obvious one, but sometimes it takes more for me. I've made bets with friends. I have two boys that I need to keep up with. Nothing wrong with pure vanity either or thinking of the body as a weapon.
4. For anyone that has dealt with anxiety or depression, vigorous exercise is better than a pill.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What a great thread and great article! New to Rokslide and really enjoying this content. Informative and motivating. Some of this is parroting advice guys have already given, but below are my health observations from the last 20 years. I'm no physical specimen. I drank, smoked and ate away my 20's, didn't realize how much of a POS I'd become until my mid 30s and now sit here in my 40s with a lot of regret on how I treated my body. If any young guys are reading this, take care of yourself now and your future self will thank you. Despite the self-inflicted abuse and two bouts with lyme, I can still hang and plan to do so for another decade or two.

1. Range of motion is critical as we age. I go to a local hot yoga place 2-3 times a week and it has been life changing. Good scenery is a bonus!
2. Fitness is a three legged stool made up of strength, endurance and mobility. For the time strapped among us, overlapping these gets the best bang for the buck. Weighted ruck, kettle bell swings, pushing/pulling sled, intense yoga.
3. Find multiple sources of motivation to draw from. The hunt is the obvious one, but sometimes it takes more for me. I've made bets with friends. I have two boys that I need to keep up with. Nothing wrong with pure vanity either or thinking of the body as a weapon.
4. For anyone that has dealt with anxiety or depression, vigorous exercise is better than a pill.
Thanks for chiming in on this.