Why I avoid the range when it’s busy

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I knew right away what happened when I saw this photo.

My dad rifle hunted with his Weatherby Vanguard .270 Winchester his whole life until he handed it off to me. He killed a bunch of deer and elk with it until it was my turn. He picked up a used Weatherby Mark V .300 Mag with 2 boxes of weatherby ammo for $350. After 3 hunting seasons of a sight in and dead deer he went and grabbed more .300 mag ammo at the hardware store. Two more seasons and two wounded/lost deer and he was befuddled how this massive magnum couldn’t put a simple MN whitetail down with a moderately distanced shot. As he was at the store to pick up ammo again the guy asked what kind of .300 Mag he needed and my dad had no clue there were other .300 Magnum calibers out there. His frugal self just thought dummies bought the real spendy stuff with the Weatherby packaging ;)

sndmn11

WKR
Someone probably told him he could fireform win mag ammo to be wby mag brass and save a couple bucks.
....at least I hope there was some sort of less dumb logical reason than has been suggested.

204guy

WKR
Considering that they now have to put signs by bullets stating "this is not loaded ammunition", does that make this guy above average?

TheGDog

WKR
Or... you're there... with a Boy Scout troop... on high alert.. ya know, cause you're watching a crap-ton of young boys all at the same time. And then... you notice a few things about the idiots (I'm guessing extended fam) who rented the private range next to the one we rented for the Scouts.

1. This is LA.. Burro Canyon.. so ya kinda already know where this is going...
2. Gettin' their jollies with occasional Viva Zapata! style rapid-fire volleys. Ok, no big, I can't hate on that. Fun to do on occasion, whatever.
3. But... they've got young children not there for the actual shooting, in close-ish proximity to the line, and all this firing... without ear-pro!?? The bleep is wrong whichu!!!
4. When they were doing clays later on... a noticeable bit of "pepper" was coming over the berm in-between us, as I guess these guys weren't tossing the clays all that high up? Hrmm...
5. BUT... the big one that really chapped my hide was when like about 2-3pm? maybe... I smell the weed wafting over. Now I ain't mad at somebody for enjoying all the gifts this earth has to offer... but there are certain things in this life that you just NEVER...EVER...EVER... mix with dope/drink/weed... and guns is at the top of that list!

Guarantee
1. It will be a pontoon
2. 17 relatives are piled in it
3. Husband will be hollering at his old lady bout backing the trailer in crooked so he doesn’t look silly in front of the fam
Just this summer I was out with my wife in our new to us fishing boat that grandpa gave us.

got windy as hell and I couldn’t for the life of me get it back on the trailer.

it was a crowded summer day with tons of spectators...some drunk guy waded up to his chest and pulled my boat onto the trailer for me 😭😭😭😭😭😭

so now I try not to judge too much at the boat ramp!

2ski

WKR
So not to do with the gun range but it is with calibers of rifles. We found my grandfather's rifle after he passed and it wasn't stamped with anything to let a person know the caliber. Suspect it was his ww2 rifle made into a hunting rifle. So take it to a gun smith that measures things in it or whatever and says its a 30-06 that needs rebored because the barrel has shrunk in diameter. So he does that. I take it out with my buddy and we go through ammo until our shoulder hurts. We both only hunt with .243 up till now so we don't make it through a full box. It doesn't get shot for a few years and then we find some ammo in a closet that says something with a 7, I don't recall. 7.62/7.9 or something. I didn't know that much about guns at the time. So I call my buddy who tells me to unequivocally never shoot 06 ammo out of it again as its not rated for that much. Or anything now for that matter since the barrel has been rebored. So that sucks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always try to go to the range when "no one" is there. But we have multiple rifle and pistol ranges at our range so finding an empty one normally isn't difficult........unless you go on weekends.

Spoonbill

WKR
This thread brings back some memories. Favorite one was the guy with his pregnant wife at the range and his pregnant wife was hip firing their new mp5, they were trying to figure out how to hit the target. I was close to done so I took that as a sign I needed to leave. As I am leaving, same guy is shooting his AR-10 and trying to figure out how to hit a 25 yard target....quick look at the gun and there was no iron sites or a scope on it. Almost said something but I figured the solution would sort itself out when the guy took his gun back because " it won't hit the target."

I noticed a guy that was having problems with a 1911. I watched him rack the slide and the gun would not fire. Another rack of the slide and I saw something fall to the ground. Again the gun wouldn't fire. I paid more attention and when he racked the slide again I saw a cartridge bloop out the end of his barrel. He was trying to shoot 40 S&w in a 45 acp and it was sailing the whole cartridge down the barrel.....smh

CorbLand

WKR
I once spent 20 minutes trying to explain to someone that he could not shoot 7 Weatherby out of his 7RM. After about the 4th time hearing that he could because "its the same bullet." I gave up.

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
But think of all the money they saved... I mean have you seen the price of those Weatherby factory rounds??

That would have been interesting to see happening none the less.

Maki35

WKR
Last year, when businesses around here were allowed to reopen because of CV19. I decided to go to the public range. Well, so did everyone else. The place was so crowded. I grabbed a spot on the pistol course. while I was reloading my magazines. I got grazed by a ricochet on the the arm.
Several other times, while I was shooting on the rifle course, some idiot was shooting at my target thinking someone left it behind. I hate going when it's busy.
one time I yelled at a woman for loading her revolver while there were guys down range hanging/checking their targets. Her husband grabbed the gun from her and apologized.

Last edited: