Why I prefer the Zebralight H52Fw over the H52w

muleman

WKR
Zebralight H52Fw vs H52w

There has been lots of Zebralight talk over the past year or so. The one thing that I haven't seen is real life comparative photos. My requirement for an AA based headlamp isn't retina scarring brightness. I leave that to 18650 based lights. Instead I want my AA based headlamp for close up work. I usually run them at medium or lower settings. The AA form factor just doesn't have the power density to sustain high lumens for long. I recently had a couple of the newer H52 headlamps available to do a side by side real life use comparison. I had the H52w which is the normal "spot fill" headlamp. I also have the H52Fw which is the "floody" version. Unfortunately I did not have a comparable "flood" version available at the time.

Zebralights have a lot of options available. Here is some base line info to get us all on the same page. The Zebralight line has up to 5 different colors / color temperatures, three different Color Rendering Indexes (CRI), and three different beam patterns.

These photo comparisons will focus on the neutral white H52 lights. For those photographers and light scientist it's nominal CCT is 4400 kelvin. The only thing better for hunters would be a higher CRI neutral white. The CRI for the H52w and H52Fw are both 75. For the purpose of this comparison we will accept that neutral white 4400k / 75 CRI is the best available brightness, temperature, and CRI combination in a AA form factor readily available from Zebralight at this time.

Zebralights have three different light patterns, Spot Fill, Floody, and Flood. Spot Fill has a 80 degree spill light and a 12 degree hot spot. Spot Fill is considered the standard beam. Floody has a 90 degree beam spread. Flood has a 120 degree beam spread. The main model numbers in a series will have the standard 80/12 degree beam pattern. Models with a “F” after the series number will have a 90 degree floody beam and a frosted lens; for example H52F. Models with a “02″ in the name have a 120 degree flood beam pattern.

Here are what the lenses and reflectors look like for the different beam patterns.
Zebralight_reflectors.jpg

Photo #1 from Brightguys.com

Now that we have all that science mumbo jumbo out of the way. Here are my real world comparison photos showing why I like the AA based H52Fw better than the H52w.

Here is the H52w held 6 inches above a white sheet of paper. Notice the hot spot in the center.
H52w.jpg
Photo #2

Here is the H52Fw held 6 inches over a sheet of paper. Notice the more diffused center. In real life the center appears even less pronounced. Unfortunately I took these pictures with my cell phone and it didn't reproduce 100% accurately.
H52Fw.jpg
Photo #3

Here is the H52w held twelve inches over a book with a diagram with fine lines. I choose this picture as I was pressed for time and didn't have a topo handy.
H52w_map.jpg
Photo #4

Here is the H52Fw held 12 inches over the same picture. This photo has been zoomed in to show the fine detail missing in Photo #4.
H52Fw_map.jpg
Photo #5

The difference between Photo #4 and #5 is why I prefer the floody beam to the standard spot fill for close work. The frosted lens of the floody light provides nice diffused light perfect map reading and other close work. It can be plenty bright also, providing more than enough light for hiking. Be aware that the AA lights have limited power reserve at the high settings. On the trail I prefer a spot fill beam from a light using a 18650 battery, like the H600w Mk II.

Last edited:

Browtine

WKR
Nice review Muleman. I too like my H52fw for close work.

Do you take both the H52fw and the H600w on backpack hunts?

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Nice review Muleman. I too like my H52fw for close work.

Do you take both the H52fw and the H600w on backpack hunts?

Yes, they will both go hunting this year. I didn't have this pair last year before my hunts started and I try to do shake down trips to test new gear prior to hunting season. Because of battery life the H600w Mk II is my primary light and the H52Fw will serve as backup and close quarters light.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
What is the battery life on the H600w in real world use ?

The answer to this question is very difficult as the following variables have to be taken in to consideration.

• Ambient temperature
  • Air circulation around light
  • Battery's true capacity (buy from reputable sources, most cheap batteries are not the bargain they appear to be)
  • Output mode (the H600w Mk II has 15 different output modes)
  • How much time is spent in different modes

The stated run times for the H600w Mk II are using the ZL631 battery, a protected version of the Panasonic 3100mAh NCR18650A cell. I use a higher Ah battery based on the Panasonic 3400mAh NCR18650B cell. This is the same cell that Zebralight bases their new protected ZL634 battery on.

I don't mean to be elusive, but I don't really know and timing my headlamp is the last thing I think of when I am using it. I rarely run my headlamps on the highest settings. I feel I get more mixed runtime than I did running on the equivalent brightness settings on a the older headlamp it replaced. The real draw, for me, to the H600w Mk II is having the blinding brightness available if needed.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Will the H600 and H52 fit in the same headband?

Good question, never tried it.

My H600w Mk II is lent out for a week or two so I can't try it. I do know that Zebralight sells two different replacement silicone pieces one for the 600 series and one for the 5xx series. The silicone is soft so it is possible to tear it putting too big a light body in it and the smaller light wouldn't hold it's position in the bigger one.

So without actually trying it I would say probably not.

JG358

WKR

They come with different holders but you might be able to strech the H52 holder enough to get the H600 in it. Should have a H52 on my porch in the next day or two, I'll try it and report back.

Id have to agree with dotman that its probably more hassle than its worth to swap them back and forth depending on what light you want to run at a given moment.

Just got my H52W the other day.

Does anybody actually use all the levels? Seems kind of ridiculous, "double click six times, clap three times, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around to access the sub-levels of the sub-level".

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Just got my H52W the other day.

Does anybody actually use all the levels? Seems kind of ridiculous, "double click six times, clap three times, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around to access the sub-levels of the sub-level".

Yes, I do. Once you set the sub level you want and turn it off the sub level is remembered.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
This is how I set my sub levels.

Light Output (runtimes)

High: H1 266 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 163 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 102 Lm (3 hrs)

Medium: M1 47 Lm (7.5 hrs) or M2 23 Lm (12 hrs) / 11 Lm (27 hrs)

Low: L1 2.6 Lm (4 days) or L2 0.32 Lm (3 weeks) / 0.06 Lm (2 months) / 0.01 Lm (3 months)

Last edited:
I covet your zebralights, but with small kids, I have difficulty with retaining possession of my cheap headlamps. I can't imagine my stasi-like interrogation of the five year old regarding the whereabouts of two zebralights. Piercing greater distances of darkness will have to wait for me.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I covet your zebralights, but with small kids, I have difficulty with retaining possession of my cheap headlamps. I can't imagine my stasi-like interrogation of the five year old regarding the whereabouts of two zebralights. Piercing greater distances of darkness will have to wait for me.

Amen

slim9300

WKR
This is exactly why I run the H502w and H600w MKII on all my hunts. I would like to compare the H52Fw to my H502w someday. Obviously the H502 has a wider spill, but it would be interesting to see the visible difference.

JG358

WKR

Yes, but you have to stretch the H52 silicone holder quite a bit to get the H600 in it. Couple pics to show the size difference between the lights and silicone holders.
qa8eba8e.jpg
y3yzymyb.jpg

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Yes, but you have to stretch the H52 silicone holder quite a bit to get the H600 in it. Couple pics to show the size difference between the lights and silicone holders.
qa8eba8e.jpg
y3yzymyb.jpg

Good to know.

Now that you've had some time in the field with these lights, would you do anything different? I'm going to pick up few in the near future, but I wanted to see if you've had a chance to do anymore comparisons.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I love zebra light floody lamps. No hotspots make it a joy to use around camp and inside a deer. Lacking the hard shadows cast my my less floody head lamps is great!!!