Why I prefer the Zebralight H52Fw over the H52w

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Now that you've had some time in the field with these lights, would you do anything different? I'm going to pick up few in the near future, but I wanted to see if you've had a chance to do anymore comparisons.

I like this combo except for the different batteries and I miss a red light. To remedy this I have been playing around with another 18650 battery based light that is bright, infinitely adjustable, has a built in micro USB charger and has red, green, and blue in addition to the bright white light.

As of late this new Nitecore HC90 has been my primary light and the Zebralight H600w has played backup. There are a couple minor issues with the HC90 that I will flesh out in another thread.

n2horns

WKR
I have h52w and h502w, lights serve two different roles, 52 a more of a spot light is good for distance and the 502 is a flood good for task like skinning/processing, camp chores, maps, useful in places where you don't want a concentrated spot beaming back at you.

I noticed i have turned on previous lights like fenix headlamp or energizer in my pack by accident, with the ZL, the push button is much harder and more recessed. Not to mention the AA is my gps, 2AA flashlight and now headlamp battery of choice.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I covet your zebralights, but with small kids, I have difficulty with retaining possession of my cheap headlamps. I can't imagine my stasi-like interrogation of the five year old regarding the whereabouts of two zebralights. Piercing greater distances of darkness will have to wait for me.

Ha! I know what you mean~
I have resorted to installing locks on my desk drawers and gear storage cabinets! Then I just go to harbor freight and the dollar store and buy handfuls of cheap handheld flashlights. My 4.5 yr boy is more interested in those than wearing a headlamp on his head anyway!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I forgot all about this thread. I have about 15-20 headlamps but my go to is always a Zebralight. Great write up muleman!

bbrown

WKR
So if a guy was only going to get one of these for walking trails, camp chores or tracking - which one would be best? Would also like to stick to AAs...
I know it will be a compromise but there has be one that will be a good "jack of all" type light as I would rather not carry 2 headlamps.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR

dotman

WKR
So if a guy was only going to get one of these for walking trails, camp chores or tracking - which one would be best? Would also like to stick to AAs...
I know it will be a compromise but there has be one that will be a good "jack of all" type light as I would rather not carry 2 headlamps.

If you want the do all then the 600 series is what you want, it can be adj to only put out 1 lumen or go up to over 1000 lumens, weight diff is an oz or two. It is a higher initial cost to get setup but trust me it can do it all. I use the smaller AA version for around camp and throw it in the pack as a backup to the big dog.

Personally it is worth having both and combined they still weigh less then the black diamond icon I had.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The 600 is in a different League! I have the headlamp and flashlight. If your looking for blood in the dark its a must have!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I agree the with MM the 502w is the light I use the most.

bbrown

WKR
Thanks - out of curiosity what is the difference between the "52" series and "502"? I thought I read it somewhere on here but cant find it now...

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Thanks - out of curiosity what is the difference between the "52" series and "502"? I thought I read it somewhere on here but cant find it now...

Zebralights have three different light patterns, Spot Fill, Floody, and Flood. Spot Fill has a 80 degree spill light and a 12 degree hot spot. Spot Fill is considered the standard beam. Floody has a 90 degree beam spread. Flood has a 120 degree beam spread. The main model numbers in a series will have the standard 80/12 degree beam pattern. Models with a “F” after the series number will have a 90 degree floody beam and a frosted lens; for example H52F. Models with a “02″ in the name have a 120 degree flood beam pattern.