Why is it so hard to get my scope level?

I've been using feeler gages stacked between the top of the pic rail and the bottom of the scope. Very simple method. As a bonus- the scope will not turn in the rings as you torque down the ring caps.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Plumb bob never lies.

In all honestly, once I started putting time and effort into mounting/leveling scopes correctly, the first few I looked through I re-mounted a couple times each because I'd shoulder the rifle and go "no way is this level". Well, it turns out I was the one who apparently wasn't level lol.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've been using feeler gages stacked between the top of the pic rail and the bottom of the scope. Very simple method. As a bonus- the scope will not turn in the rings as you torque down the ring caps.
I’ve done that in the past and it worked well, this gun dosent have a pic rail though. I ordered one of the devices mentioned and messed with it some more, I think I’m on the right track, not sure why this particular rifle/scope is messing with me so much. Never had any issues before.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Plumb bob never lies.

In all honestly, once I started putting time and effort into mounting/leveling scopes correctly, the first few I looked through I re-mounted a couple times each because I'd shoulder the rifle and go "no way is this level". Well, it turns out I was the one who apparently wasn't level lol.
I went and hung a rope with a piece of wood on it out in a tree about 30 yards away from my house.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I went and hung a rope with a piece of wood on it out in a tree about 30 yards away from my house.
Just make sure your action is leveled on both axis' (front to back, side to side) when you're leveling your scope and torquing it down, and also when you clamp the tube level on. Another way to double check is to set the rifle up leveled out with the butt almost touching a blank wall, and shine a flashlight through the center of the objective to cast a shadow of the reticle on the wall, and check it with a plumb bob.

Once the rifle is setup, it just takes practice to get used to it. And honestly if the reticle is a bit crooked when you comfortably shoulder it, it won't matter for 1-200 yard offhand shots.

Lytro

WKR
73c4578a-ca84-4099-bff0-9794fb7494ae_text.gif

Shraggs

WKR
That’s basically what I did but then when I shoulder the rifle it’s super crooked.
In 2020 I had help learning to shoot long. I use the above and a tikka is pretty easy to level then loose screws and plumb bob thing.

Every time I went to shoulder from any position my tutor said you’re canting the rifle. When it was correct from his view point it looked crooked to to me.

It’s trued up so I now accept that cant as my que I’m appropriate.

I have other rifles that act differently, I think because if different drop of comb or similar.

Seem to struggle as well.I have two scopes to mount next year when my suppressor comes in.
I throws me off when i shoulder rifle and it’s canted.
I have the wheeler fat wrench and levels and never liked them.Im going to try the defensive edge set.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the secret.... and then I use the construction laser beam level on the wall. You could also just use a plum line.

Attachments

• 200-50_-dead-level_base_thumbnail.png
    200-50_-dead-level_base_thumbnail.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 864435__95120.1641493748.jpg
    864435__95120.1641493748.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 46
There is only one thing that matters
The reticle must be perpendicular to the bore
Nothing else matters
The rest is up to the shooter
Just do this, it is easy IMG_3120.jpeg

seand

Lil-Rokslider
There is only one thing that matters
The reticle must be perpendicular to the bore
Nothing else matters
Just do this, it is easy View attachment 610497
Actually what the photo shows isn’t really what matters. What matters most is the reticle is leveled to gravity. The scope can be rotated slightly and as long as the scope is leveled to gravity the error will be extremely small. Say the center of the scope is offset from the bore laterally 1/8” due to the scope being rotated, and the rifle is zeroed at 100 yds and the reticle is level with gravity. The error from the misalignment at 900 yards would be one inch. This is significantly less than the error you might get from shooting without a level resulting in a canted reticle.

Actually what the photo shows isn’t really what matters. What matters most is the reticle is leveled to gravity. The scope can be rotated slightly and as long as the scope is leveled to gravity the error will be extremely small. Say the center of the scope is offset from the bore laterally 1/8” due to the scope being rotated, and the rifle is zeroed at 100 yds and the reticle is level with gravity. The error from the misalignment at 900 yards would be one inch. This is significantly less than the error you might get from shooting without a level resulting in a canted reticle.

Read this part again

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
That lateral offset would become a more severe problem with a 20moa base, correct? Inducing a percentage of that 20moa to windage.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Clamp the rifle in a gun vise, loosen the set screw on the tool, set it on the barrel in front of the scope and snug the larger "v" on the objective bell of the scope, tighten the set screw. Then level the rifle in the gun vise using the bubble level on the tool and then look through the scope and align the vertical reticle with a plumb bob, or vertical post, tighten the scope rings.