Why no love for Kuiu packs?

I had one of is very first ones both my buddy and I for archery elk backpacking and it was light and comfy as long as stayed under 55 lbs after that is was miserable why I own kifaru now heavier to start with but made heavier loads feel lighter and more comfy

I think the Kuiu is a good step up from badlands/eberlestock. I have had a few Kuiu packs, I loved the icon pro for hiking around. And when I first got it I thought it was the greatest pack ever, (it’s all relative) the first elk packout however gave me flashbacks of the time I took a Badlands Sacrifice on a 10 day solo backpack hunt.

Most of my archery hunting buddies who never kill anything still love their Kuiu packs plus they look great in sunset photos and selfies with the matching camouflage 🤣🤣

In all seriousness though, you can do just fine with a Kuiu, I packed out a bunch of deer with them! They are at a pretty decent price, even better if you go used. Plus suffering is kind of fun, and it sucks packing meat regardless of the pack/frame.

There is way better out there though, and I don’t think you’ll find many guys running kifaru/stone glacier going back to Kuiu saying it’s better. And if they do, I’d make sure they actually kill shit and pack it out 👍🏻

ChrisAU

WKR
I love my Kuiu Pro, I'm simply never going to carry 100+ pounds, and 100+ pounds isn't "comfortable" for anyone with any pack ever made unless maybe you are the hulk.

I look at it like this, on my last hunt literally this is how heavy my pack was (with water/food/weapon) for the entire hunt (which was 8 full days in the field) assuming I was wearing it/had the potential to wear it 16 hours per day:

Day 1: 25% 45 lbs 75% 20 lbs
Day 2: 100% 20 lbs
Day 3: 100% 20 lbs
Day 4: 100% 20 lbs
Day 5: 100% 20 lbs
Day 6: 75% 20 lbs 25% 75 lbs
Day 7: 50% 20 lbs 50% 75 lbs
Day 8: 50% 20 lbs 50% 75 lbs

So for the total trip of 128 possible pack hours:

4 Hours 45 lbs - 3.125%
104 Hours 20 lbs - 81.25%
20 Hours 75 lbs - 15.625%

So maybe I traded 2-3 lbs off my total pack weight for 85% of my hunt for a marginal difference in comfort for 15% of it, and I'm fine with it. The Ultra 4000 bag works really well for my packing style and I have no comfort complaints from the 15% of the time it was loaded up.

And yes, I helped pack an elk the previous year in a Kifaru pack. I really can't make heads or tails of comfort levels without the ability to compare them directly side by side.

WKR
My Kifaru stuff is made in Colorado. Curious, where does KUIU make their stuff?

WKR
I don't wear Sitka. I have some Canadian KUIU I think still. Mostly I wear solids when hunting. So it sounds like Chinese packs for KUIU. That's gonna be a hard fugging pass for me. I'd buy a used made in USA pack from Kifaru or Stone Glacier if that is the case.

WKR
Is there a choice regarding buying Chinese made frames with a history of breaking vs American made products? Yes there is. Is there a choice on where 97% of our drugs come from? Not at this point, but there would seem to be a majority of Americans who feel that is a bad model as well. Look for it to change.

brsnow

WKR
Is there a choice regarding buying Chinese made frames with a history of breaking vs American made products? Yes there is. Is there a choice on where 97% of our drugs come from? Not at this point, but there would seem to be a majority of Americans who feel that is a bad model as well. Look for it to change.

how will it change?

WKR
It will take several years, but I would anticipate tariffs placed on overseas prescription drugs to help assist in moving that production back to the US.

Do you see any issues with communist China having control of 97% of the prescription drugs we use?

Apologize for the thread hijack. Please go back to discussing the merits of the Chinese made KUIU packs.

brsnow

WKR
It will take several years, but I would anticipate tariffs placed on overseas prescription drugs to help assist in moving that production back to the US.

Do you see any issues with communist China having control of 97% of the prescription drugs we use?

Apologize for the thread hijack. Please go back to discussing the merits of the Chinese made KUIU packs.

so you think with current drug prices, bringing production to the US at higher costs to produce taking place? What about the lobbyists in DC? It is a feel good idea you have though. Also companies make these drugs in a free market place.

WKR
Got it, China is a free market place for making drugs and is a good secure source for our drugs to come from.

Let's take this thread back to discussing the chinese made KUIU packs. Sorry for the hijack.

Jimbob

WKR
My friend is a doctor and he can afford the best, I drool over all his gear and toys. He's still thrifty though so he buys top-quality stuff that performs, doesn't just buy for the name/look. He sheep hunts with his whole family and carries some big loads. Took a stone with his bow last year and hunted Tahr in New Zealand a couple of times last year alone. HE USES A KUIU PACK and it does what he asks. He hasn't tried a new pack because the kuiu is working great for him. His wife uses a KUIU pack as well. Far from a fanboy as I don't think he has any KUIU clothing.

I, on the other hand, bought a Kifaru, buy once cry once attitude. I can't afford to take a loss and just upgrade or try something new. I wanted to know that I was getting a high performing pack.

When I read reviews from guys that have used many packs, KUIU doesn't fare so well. I think you can be happy with Kuiu it's just that there are better options.

brsnow

WKR
Got it, China is a free market place for making drugs and is a good secure source for our drugs to come from.

Let's take this thread back to discussing the chinese made KUIU packs. Sorry for the hijack.

;-)

OP
MeatSeaker
Seems like to have a kuiu as a lightweight daypack to carry out a first light load and then a frame pack meat hauler back at camp might be a nice choice

bsnedeker

WKR
Seems like to have a kuiu as a lightweight daypack to carry out a first light load and then a frame pack meat hauler back at camp might be a nice choice
Meh...I think it's better to get one pack you are comfortable with for everything. You could do what you're describing, but if you have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a second frame for heavy loads in addition the hundreds for the Kuiu pack system you'd probably be better off just buying from Kifaru, SG, or EXO...one pack that can do everything. That's also another piece of gear you have to haul with you everywhere you go.

I'd recommend you buy one system that you trust to do everything, whether it's Kuiu or some other company. If you've already got a load hauler laying around your house and don't mind lugging it around that's one thing, but I would recommend against buying two brand new packs/frames.