Why no love for the 7mmSTW?

elkguide

WKR
Always been intrigued by the 7mmSTW. Have never even shot one but always wondered why it never seemed to take off. Numbers looked great on paper but just wondering what I am missing.

desertcj

WKR
It's too long for most actions to take advantage of and also burns out barrels faster than other options. A 7 rem mag seated long for 3.500" oal isn't losing much to your average 7mm stw. It does have a devoted following and does check most of the right boxes off though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's too long for most actions to take advantage of and also burns out barrels faster than other options. A 7 rem mag seated long for 3.500" oal isn't losing much to your average 7mm stw. It does have a devoted following and does check most of the right boxes off though.

How fast can a 7STW shoot a 180 with a 26-inch barrel?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
7mm STW | Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
Everything you've ever wanted to know about the 7 STW. I know guys that were shooting the cartridge before it was commercially available. In the early 80's with custom rifles. Way before Bergers and before BC was a consideration for a hunting bullet. Seems some guys are still shooting it. mtmuley

Not really that interested. Just wanted to see how close it really is to a 7RM or 28 Nosler.

amassi

WKR
Always been intrigued by the 7mmSTW. Have never even shot one but always wondered why it never seemed to take off. Numbers looked great on paper but just wondering what I am missing.
Lots of stw shooters went ultramag when they came out, stw brass wasnt the best quality(lots of Remington and nickel plated federal) then supply dried up until recently.

Furthermore, it has a belt. Belted magnums are so 1970
It also has a reputation as a barrel burner but honestly, you can probably squeeze over 1000rds out of 1 no problem.
I have a 7mm-300 weatherby, case capacity is almost identical and I take those barrels to about 1200 rds FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
having my 7stw rebarrelled as we speak, to a faster twist barrel for 160-180g elk loads.

obviously load dependent, but 10% more energy at 500 yds than 300winmag and wsm, and 25% more than 7remmag.

MtnMuley

WKR
I had one of the first production STW Sendero's when they were introduced. Developed a load and was in love with the gun. Burned in a fire a few years later, and replaced it with a Sendero in 300 RUM. Both guns were Gen 1 Sendero's and both were two of the most accurate factory built rifles I've owned. I sure wished I still had that STW. Some great memories starting in to long range hunting with that round. If I remember correctly, I shot 150 gr bullets at well over 3K. I can't even remember what bullet now and BC meant nothing to me then.

desertcj

WKR
having my 7stw rebarrelled as we speak, to a faster twist barrel for 160-180g elk loads.

obviously load dependent, but 10% more energy at 500 yds than 300winmag and wsm, and 25% more than 7remmag.

Where are you getting those numbers from?

ckleeves

WKR
Where are you getting those numbers from?

I’m curious also. He did say load dependent though so it could be comparing a 165 partition out of the WM.

I do know that my 28” barreled 28 Nosler running faster then a STW can’t match my win mag at 500 in energy. It is flatter though.