Why so many Sig Crosses for sale?

na17

FNG
I havent been around this forum long but it seems that there are a lot of sig crosses for sale in the market place. Why the high turnover? Safety issues related to the recall? Seems like performance is good, sub moa and light for hunting. what am i missing?

I think people buy them on impulse due to the cool factor and then don't shoot them as much. I'll buy one in 308 sooner or later and hopefully won't sell it. Lol

There are simply a lot of them out there. The stock design sucks and the barrel extensions still don't exist on the market to my knowledge which makes it a little more work to rebarrel them since you need to reuse your extension. Other than that they're great guns. Mine was a 1/3 minute 5 shot rifle with 180gr Black Hills Accubond. The stock pissed me off always getting caught on things when hunting, and I didn't like holding all aluminum parts when hunting in the cold, but other than that it really was a great gun with a quick, solding folding stock, a nice enough bolt and trigger, and it's dirt cheap compared to what else is out there. The HNT 26 is the only comparable chassis configuration, and that chassis itself costs more than the entire Cross does.

One of the underrated benefits of the Cross is you aren't going to drop the rifle and move the action in the stock. It's integral like an AR. Sweet benefit in my opinion.

I hated mine. It shot acceptably not phenomenal but that’s where it ended. The build quality just isn’t there. It came with muzzle threads longer than spec and the buttstock was trash. There was play where the butt assembly bolts to the receiver that was noticeable when loading the bipod and shooting. When folded it flopped around like crazy because of the slop in the hinge. The LOP would also collapse after 10-20 rounds no matter how much I tightened it. The forend had a lot of flex too.

It went back to sig (who sucked to deal with BTW) for the buttstock issues, they replaced the butt assembly and it was really no better.

It’s a pretty good design, it’s just shit quality. I sold it and bought the Q Fix that I should have gotten from the start. The fix doesn’t feel cheap or like corners were cut in any way, the buttstock is solid, and you can actually get barrels for them.

I had one in 65cm for a quick minute. I liked it, but didn’t love it and only bought it because it was local and cheap. I ended up selling it to a buddy and I don’t miss it at all.

People expect to have something ready to go and Sig messed that up. Par for the course apparently. I think they call that getting Sig'd.
Some people will just whine about everything that's wrong while never seeking a solution. I get it, thats just not me.
Some, like me, will figure it out over time and end up with a perfectly fine rifle.
The last group of people expect that every rifle should shoot 1/2 minute with all ammo. Basically never gonna happen. People will claim the fringe. This is not a 1/3 ‐ 1/2 moa all day rifle. Those are very few and far between unless you cherry pick data. After developing a load that my 308 "likes" and shooting over 100 shot groups of at least 5 shots each I have achieved a .95" average. Some down to a quarter moa, some higher than an moa. But, this is not acceptable to some as their preconceived notions of shooting are skewed more towards an unrealistic outcome, the 1/2 moa all day BS.
People feel slighted, myself included, because Sig has yet to deliver on product support. Anything I need I try to get from the few others that are making products.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Like the posters above said.
Sig has great ideas with pathetic follow through.
They also like to make parts proprietary.
Like the tread 716i that I bought to figure out it had a proprietary charging handle. Why a proprietary charging handle on a ar10. So I sold it.
Life is too short for proprietary BS on mediocre products.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I bought one new and later sold it. I thought it was good rifle, no complaints on it. It shot a generic load that I used in several other rifles right at or under 1 MOA so I never messed with working up a specific load. The stock worked great on adjustment, both for me and switching over to let my kids shoot it. I thought it was a good rifle, the main reason for purchase was to try it hands on to see. I did notice the adjustments would loosen after a while but it was a fairly simple thing to tighten each occasionally. Two things I really liked about it were the bolt handle and the smoothness of feeding. Were it not for the thumb wrapped grip someone could really send ammo quickly with it.

The main reasons for selling were I'd played with it a while and found I just prefer a standard rifle format, especially not having a thumb wrapped grip and how that effects bolt manipulation...but that's for any chassis format. No issue with the implementation by Sig. I didn't consider it a "light" rifle, as it ended up heavier than most of the light rifles I use. Were the barrel a thinner contour and the forend carbon I think it could really be a light rifle.

intunegp

WKR
I'm the minority that bought one for what it is and love it. I didn't buy it planning to swap the barrel or change calibers or shoot the nuts off a fly at 1000 yards. I wanted a compact and somewhat lightweight hunting rifle with a box magazine and was in the market about the time the Cross was widely available.

Mine shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards with Nosler Trophy Grade 165 AccuBonds and it is plenty accurate for me and the ranges I engage animals. I've never had problems with anything coming loose or the stock collapsing like others have reported. Everything fits together nicely and locks up tight.

I like it enough that I've considered buying another and grabbing a carbon fiber .338 Federal barrel from Schnees.

XFrog

FNG
I couldn't build a short barrel 308 back pack gun near the 1350$ For short range hunts in the swamp, it fits perfectly. Pairs great with the Lahar K.

4th_point

WKR
I havent been around this forum long but it seems that there are a lot of sig crosses for sale in the market place.
There are?! I need to go look, as I love the design. I'd scoop up a couple more if the market is flooded.

I have noticed a lot of Tikkas on the used market, but maybe that's just perspective?

I have no doubt that some people simply don't like the Cross or got a lemon. Mine hammers and has become one of my favorite rifles.

To me, the best aspect of the Cross is that it simply is not just another chassis rifle. Think about it. If you want a chassis and modularity, then I get it. Lots of options.

I don't want another chassis, and the pros/cons that go with it.