Curious why so many Xmas reticle’s if everyone dials

sambo3006

FNG
I like the Burris G2B reticle as a do it all. When used as a FFP reticle, the heavier outer posts make it useful for low power setting, essentially making it look similar to a standard duplex reticle. On higher power, the mil dots and hashes can be used for hold over an hold off if desired.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Ive used holdovers shooting matches on prs stages that have a lot of moving back and forth between targets and a short time limit. I can often dial for one target so its in the center then hold for the rest and save myself the time of dialing 5 times during the stage.
My opinion is those reticles all suck for hunting though.
I used to shoot matches with a g2b mil dot and do fine. The advent of "no dial" stages with small targets ended that. When I was very serious, I could dial a 10 target stage in 90 seconds with no problems. I really feel like dialing is faster in most situations. Going back and forth with 2 or 3 targets and a lot of different positions is the shit where you save time holding.

Honestly, if they would do away with "no dial " stages my Xmas tree reticle would go away. For hunting, I hate them. The g2b mil dot is still my favorite hunting reticle. Heavy enough to be really visible, and fine enough to do what you need. I have not shot a mil quad reticle, but assume it would be similar.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shooting multiple targets, shooting holdovers is tremendously faster, especially with a spotter giving you your comeups and wind. Not as important for hunting but will win in a match or 2 way range. If you shoot the Horus style reticles enough they no longer appear cluttered.
Might be personal, as I have not trained with a lot of people. In the group of shooters I run around with, everyone agrees that it is faster to dial than to find your place in a holdover reticle. I don't believe anyone of us has won a national level match, but I believe we have all placed top 15 or better, and all of us have won regional level matches. In my personal experience it is faster and less likely to cause an error when dialing vs holding over. We all practice both methods extensively because of the forced "no dial" stages.

There is the perception among people that only train one method, or those that don't train enough, that holding is faster, but my personal experience does not support this.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
It is as accurate, its generally someones inability to conceptualize and actually put the dots where they belong. . I've shot enough matches where I had 2 -3 different targets on 1 stage and all i did was dial my closest range for and used the mil hash marks for the other 2 targets. I've cleaned a few stages doing this
It is not as accurate as dialing especially if the targets are small. Also, to win matches, the expectation has to be to clean every stage. The guys that win are only dropping points on a few stages per match (or less). Most have gone to dialing as much as possible as targets have gotten smaller. I promise, my hits on freshly painted targets look a lot better when dialing vs holding, and I practice both a lot. The group of guys I shoot with also pretty much universally agree on this as well.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Might be personal, as I have not trained with a lot of people. In the group of shooters I run around with, everyone agrees that it is faster to dial than to find your place in a holdover reticle. I don't believe anyone of us has won a national level match, but I believe we have all placed top 15 or better, and all of us have won regional level matches. In my personal experience it is faster and less likely to cause an error when dialing vs holding over. We all practice both methods extensively because of the forced "no dial" stages.

There is the perception among people that only train one method, or those that don't train enough, that holding is faster, but my personal experience does not support this.
The layout of the tree makes a big difference to how easy it is to use.
I find holding any more than 4mil in a tree, it starts getting easy to get lost.

Personally I like the numbers being on the main stadia rather than on the edges of the tree, much quicker to find them.
I also like holding under, which many people don't like.

If I'm shooting some sort of horrible stage in a 22lr match where you jump between 25 yards and 200 yards, I'd rather hold under 10mils at 25 than hold over 10mils at 200.
Regardless of the reticle it takes time and practice to get proficient with it.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
The layout of the tree makes a big difference to how easy it is to use.
I find holding any more than 4mil in a tree, it starts getting easy to get lost.

Personally I like the numbers being on the main stadia rather than on the edges of the tree, much quicker to find them.
I also like holding under, which many people don't like.

If I'm shooting some sort of horrible stage in a 22lr match where you jump between 25 yards and 200 yards, I'd rather hold under 10mils at 25 than hold over 10mils at 200.
Regardless of the reticle it takes time and practice to get proficient with it.
Agreed. There are stages where I do it. I definitely don't like to hold in space on small targets though. They love to set two tyl racks and make you go back and forth around here. Until you get to the middle of the rack, I am fine holding. Shooting a half moa target holding in space is definitely not as fast for me as dialing. If I get lucky and they end up right on a point in the reticle, then I will use the tree, otherwise I dial.